English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 January 2018, 11:14   #181
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
I have seen lots of nice demos, but very few of them has actually materialized to games. It is has much less work to port game than create new.
Indeed, and that's why I said _IF_ I ever continue working on it

Quote:
Creating all the sprites and levels is big job. Bigger than many could though.
Of course it's a big job, but then again, even for a port the graphics would pretty much have to be redone anyway to suit the 16 color palette. And to be honest, if I'm spending a lot of time getting something to work on the A500, then why not spend some extra time and make it something of my own.

Quote:
Another thing is, can you keep fps if there is a movin object in screen, like enemy?
The fps will definitely be worse with realtime raycasting and sprite rendering added, which is also a reason for why making my own game would be more attractive, as I could scale down the complexity to a level that still retains a reasonable framerate.
Old 10 January 2018, 14:08   #182
d4rk3lf

IMHO, the faster fps - the better, however, I feel that even half of the fps that is there already, would be a very playable game.
People played Cytradel, on stock A500 back then, even it was slow as politician speech, yet they enjoyed. We are kind-a spoiled these days.
I keep my finger crossed, and hoping for the best.
Cheers to all.
Old 10 January 2018, 16:23   #183
Raion-Fox

Miggy4eva you're certainly a passionate man. And I appreciate passion, but you need some serious reality checks here:

OCS uses a 16-bit datapath and a 512kb/1mb chip mem, while in theory sufficient, isn't when you consider that much more than graphics data on an Amiga is stored there.

The 286, which is a base config for a Wolf3D game, is so much more powerful than the 68000 the A500 comes with.

That an Atari ST is a good baseline to understand why your dream just isn't possible, even with a skilled assembly coder there is simply not enough resources.

I did some basic theorizing on what an A500 could do, after looking at the Wolf3D code for the PC. And I came up with:

16 colours, at the most

Runs in a window with doubled pixels, effective resolution something like 160x100

And 15fps framerate.

This is assuming massive optimizations and leveraging of assembler, doesn't include music or sound routines, and some other general optimizations.

No, your expectations are impossible. It's just not a thing we can do on this hardware. I'm not being mean. I'm not trying to crush your dreams. You just can't really do it.

The Amiga was a neat piece of tech for its time, but it wasn't revolutionary. None of the home computers were. They were about 3-5 years behind the stuff being used in the high end, such as VAX, for example, or later something like PA-RISC or Alpha AXP. Emotion and faith doesn't boil down to raw numbers.

Your dream could probably be done on an A3000, for example, without any issue and with basic optimizations, but you don't have realistic expectations for that.

Old 11 February 2018, 12:20   #184
Trachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raion-Fox View Post
Miggy4eva you're certainly a passionate man. And I appreciate passion, but you need some serious reality checks here:

OCS uses a 16-bit datapath and a 512kb/1mb chip mem, while in theory sufficient, isn't when you consider that much more than graphics data on an Amiga is stored there.

The 286, which is a base config for a Wolf3D game, is so much more powerful than the 68000 the A500 comes with.

That an Atari ST is a good baseline to understand why your dream just isn't possible, even with a skilled assembly coder there is simply not enough resources.

I did some basic theorizing on what an A500 could do, after looking at the Wolf3D code for the PC. And I came up with:

16 colours, at the most

Runs in a window with doubled pixels, effective resolution something like 160x100

And 15fps framerate.

This is assuming massive optimizations and leveraging of assembler, doesn't include music or sound routines, and some other general optimizations.

No, your expectations are impossible. It's just not a thing we can do on this hardware. I'm not being mean. I'm not trying to crush your dreams. You just can't really do it.

The Amiga was a neat piece of tech for its time, but it wasn't revolutionary. None of the home computers were. They were about 3-5 years behind the stuff being used in the high end, such as VAX, for example, or later something like PA-RISC or Alpha AXP. Emotion and faith doesn't boil down to raw numbers.

Your dream could probably be done on an A3000, for example, without any issue and with basic optimizations, but you don't have realistic expectations for that.
Well actually 80286 was quite slow procesor and overally inferior to MC68000.
The problemm lies elsewhere. Wolf3d was designed as VGA only which had special Chunky pixel mode.
3d games like this are based on chunky pixel calculations, then the CPU or blitter must perform Chunky2Plannar conversion which costs almost single frame!!!
This way superior Motorla procesor looks quite weak compared to 80286.

This could be resolved if someone would find an algorythm which would operate directly on plannar graphics...

I made 16colour textures conversion some time ago and you can use it in this game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wolfensteinoriginaltextures-205c_outputA20M1corected_output.png
Views:	400
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	56749  
Old 15 February 2018, 15:25   #185
LaBodilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachu View Post
I made 16colour textures conversion some time ago and you can use it in this game.
They look almost nice, and alot better than the attempts i have been trying out. What program/method did you use for this?

With almost, i mean that some of the textures still look pretty bad, esp. the doors, and some of the purple walls. but i guess that you did not do any manually pixel corrections on any of them?
Old 28 March 2019, 08:59   #186
johannes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
It'll probably only be a matter of time before you revert to namecalling again, because that's how a brat acts when they don't get the thing they demand.
Calling someone a "brat" is clearly namecalling.
Old 28 March 2019, 15:25   #187
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

You're right to sign up to say that Johannes, that really needed to be said more than a year after the fact.
Old 28 March 2019, 22:08   #188
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Indeed, and that's why I said _IF_ I ever continue working on it

Of course it's a big job, but then again, even for a port the graphics would pretty much have to be redone anyway to suit the 16 color palette. And to be honest, if I'm spending a lot of time getting something to work on the A500, then why not spend some extra time and make it something of my own.

The fps will definitely be worse with realtime raycasting and sprite rendering added, which is also a reason for why making my own game would be more attractive, as I could scale down the complexity to a level that still retains a reasonable framerate.
I wish that you could do at least few levels demo or mini game, if nothing else, as proof of concept.

I ques you could ask help for level maps and gfx. Just upload palette somewhere and tell size limits for sprites. Maybe what kind of graphics you want? Monsters? Soldiers? Would it be like realistic or fantasy world? etc.
Old 01 April 2019, 08:42   #189
nobody

Noob's question
I read EGA is using planar, so wouldn't be easier to port something like this? (Supposing source code exists)

[ Show youtube player ]

Edit; I see there is a version of it already. I wonder if it's using planar (?)

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by nobody; 01 April 2019 at 08:51.
Old 01 April 2019, 09:57   #190
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
I wish that you could do at least few levels demo or mini game, if nothing else, as proof of concept.
A preview of the game is coming up in the near future
Old 03 April 2019, 17:59   #191
LaBodilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
A preview of the game is coming up in the near future
Sweet, can't wait to see what you have made of this.
Old 03 April 2019, 18:51   #192
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Noob's question
I read EGA is using planar, so wouldn't be easier to port something like this? (Supposing source code exists)

[ Show youtube player ]

Edit; I see there is a version of it already. I wonder if it's using planar (?)

[ Show youtube player ]
The 2D part of the display uses planar graphics, but on PC the 3D view is drawn using EGA write mode 2, which does "on the fly" chunky to planar conversion as you write the memory. I wish the Amiga chipset had something like this. For the Amiga port I drawn the 3D view into a separate chunky buffer, and did a C2P conversion from there.