English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL data problems

Old 10 December 2016, 20:47   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Mortal Kombat 2 Music credit

According to the man himself, Anthony Putson is SOLELY responsible for the music for MK2, Brimble for the original MK.
Old 10 December 2016, 20:59   #2
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Galahad
Did he make a cock-up in their company's CV then? He lists himself and Allister Brimble as having composed and designed the sound for MK2 on the Ami.

http://www.orchestralmedia.co.uk/portfolio.php

Last edited by DrBong; 11 December 2016 at 12:58. Reason: Fixed typo!
Old 10 December 2016, 21:24   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I shall find the proof now...

Read comments at head of comments section on link: Fucks sake, it keeps trying to embed the player

Goto youtube and search for "Amiga music: Mortal Kombat II (compilation)"
Old 10 December 2016, 22:03   #4
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Galahad
Appreciate the heads-up mate! Here's Anthony Putson's comment re: MK2 music credits from the YouTube vid you mentioned:

"Just as an FYI. Allister converted MK1 but MK2 was converted by myself. MK2 was converted from the Arcade music (don't know original composer) which was sent to me on a cassette. 8) There are many inaccuracies on places like the aforementioned and Moby Games for example."

The man is a fucking comedian! The "many inaccuracies" he speaks of include his own bloody company website, where the portfolio CV has listed supposedly incorrect music credits for MK2 for the last 5 years now!!!

I'm almost certain that's where HOL took the music credits from (or it was used to verify published credits at any rate). If you can't trust coders to remember their own game credits properly, then how are game databases supposed to get it right......especially if there's little else to go by, as sometimes is the case!

Do you have any direct contact details for this joker? If not, I'll email him at the company address (if I can be arsed!) to check which source of info. that he's provided is actually the God honest truth.

Last edited by DrBong; 11 December 2016 at 13:01.
Old 11 December 2016, 10:47   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

The in-game credits for MK2 say "Sound Engineer: Allister Brimble". I have asked Allister himself to clarify.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MortalKombat2SoundEngineer.png
Views:	154
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	51285  
Old 11 December 2016, 11:20   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
The in-game credits for MK2 say "Sound Engineer: Allister Brimble". I have asked Allister himself to clarify.
Sounds like he provided the replayer he uses
Old 11 December 2016, 11:40   #7
Codetapper

Allister writes: "I think it was both me & Anthony Putson so just put both of us down. Sound Engineer was definitely me and music was converted by Anthony."

Based on all the evidence so far, I think a note on the entry is enough and leave both people credited.
Old 11 December 2016, 11:52   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Sounds like he provided the replayer he uses
If that's the case then Allister is justified in getting a music credit in HOL, as their portfolio CV indicates that their first musical collaborations started back in 1994 on Amiga games with Dungeon Master II and MK2 (and not just with their current company). Case closed from my end, unless Allister responds to Ian with something totally different.

Edit: Seems that Allister didn't! Thanks Ian Yeh, the music credits stand and we'll throw a note into the HOL entry for MK2 detailing specific credits when we get a chance.

Last edited by DrBong; 11 December 2016 at 11:58.
Old 11 December 2016, 12:08   #9
Codetapper

Sound engineer Allister Brimble explains the musician credits: "I was contracted by Probe software to do the Mortal Kombat 2 audio. The original Arcade music was by Dan Forden and needed squashing down into 3 channels for the Amiga. My time was required to work on the SFX and another project, so the music arrangement work fell to Anthony Putson who I had received some demo's from and was very proficient at .MOD creation. After receiving the .MOD files back, I optimised the instrument samples by hand to get them a little smaller and plugged them into my sound driver."

I have added the note to the entry. Case closed!
Old 11 December 2016, 12:16   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Yay
Old 11 December 2016, 13:09   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Sound engineer Allister Brimble explains the musician credits: "I was contracted by Probe software to do the Mortal Kombat 2 audio. The original Arcade music was by Dan Forden and needed squashing down into 3 channels for the Amiga. My time was required to work on the SFX and another project, so the music arrangement work fell to Anthony Putson who I had received some demo's from and was very proficient at .MOD creation. After receiving the .MOD files back, I optimised the instrument samples by hand to get them a little smaller and plugged them into my sound driver."
Nice work, thanks Ian!

Quote:
I have added the note to the entry. Case closed!
Quote:
Yay
......and big bloody raspberries to Anthony Putson for being a right plonker and causing a storm in a teacup for nothing!
Old 11 December 2016, 13:21   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Nice work, thanks Ian!

......and big bloody raspberries to Anthony Putson for being a right plonker and causing a storm in a teacup for nothing!
Just means that HOL is even more accurate now, so a win all round. To be fair to Anthony, he may not even have known that Brimble modified what he did so genuinely thought only he did the music.

Either way, accuracy cant be faulted.
Old 11 December 2016, 13:30   #13
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Just means that HOL is even more accurate now, so a win all round.
Sure, and thanks to you for bringing that about by alerting us to the discrepancy!

Quote:
To be fair to Anthony, he may not even have known that Brimble modified what he did so genuinely thought only he did the music.
Nah, to be fair to Anthony he should have made himself aware of the credits listed in the game and on his own company website that he set up with Allister, and he should stop spreading guff in public forums like YouTube about how everyone else has got the MK2 music credits so badly wrong! Poor form on his part IMHO and, frankly, life's a bit too short.......

Last edited by DrBong; 11 December 2016 at 17:33. Reason: Fixed typos!