English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 March 2009, 14:08   #41
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Perhaps synchro could set the program up as a front-end for the emulators rather than packaging them with the download? It wouldn't take long to get the emus yourself, and thereby overcoming Akira's point about distributing without profit.

For what it's worth I think it's a kickarse program...
Old 12 March 2009, 16:07   #42
Amiga1992

I know, that's how it SHOUOLD be done..
I have a couple of Synchro's old CDs myself. He sent them to me as gratitude over something I helped him with, can't remember for sure since this was eons ago! Fact is, back then, he wouldn't take these donations. But now what happened mate? If you want donations for all teh frontend work, just release the frontend and put links to all that people need to download to omake the pack complete. You can also make an installer with all those files. Then you release that and make it donationware!

I wish also for AmigaSYS and anyone else who is taking donations for building setups to adopt the same approach. If you are accepting donations, you are breaking some of the licenses of distribution, and that's sad
Old 12 March 2009, 16:17   #43
Ironclaw
Banned

Regarding the Monkey Island game... I can't be arsed to register and ask in other forums like Scummvm and World of MI, to see if someone has a direct email address to LucasArts....

So.... guess I'll never make the awesome Monkey Island game then.... had 4 ideas ...

1. Bar game
2. Spitting contest from MI2
3. Dance step memory game, from when Guybrush hits his head in MI2 and sees his parents (the dance part with the skeletons... I like the tune :P)
4. Underwater dive, in MI2, gettings stuff requested by the boat captain as quickly as possible from the ocean floor.
Old 12 March 2009, 16:33   #44
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Just make it anyway!
Old 12 March 2009, 16:52   #45
Photon

Paying for specific bundles containing others' work is a bit naff. PD companies made good money distributing demos they didn't ask permission to spread, back in the day.

No harm in donating to keep a site or activity going tho. Either that, or I had better not see any donation icons on any Amiga site. At least not if a single file is downloadable there, which is not made by the site owners themselves.

Then again, the worst of the worst if this kind of a despickable trader in software that was sold 20 years ago is a fluffy white baa-baby in the woods in comparison with any 12-40yo warez-fiend of today. Mee-e-eh.

IronClaw: "Fuck Butter", what kind of a euphemism is that!? :P
Old 12 March 2009, 18:09   #46
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
PD companies made good money distributing demos they didn't ask permission to spread, back in the day.
I always wondered about this.
The way I understood it, is that you only paid for shipping and the media. At least this was what they told you as to avoid legal trouble. Also, demo distribution was not very specific in those days, I mean, no demo had a "distribution agreement" or some such stuff. Most of the PD software had something among those lines in the readme, but not demos. I don't even know if demos specify anything about distribution nowadays anyway.
Old 16 March 2009, 01:37   #47
Eclipse
Turpentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
Regarding the Monkey Island game... I can't be arsed to register and ask in other forums like Scummvm and World of MI, to see if someone has a direct email address to LucasArts....

So.... guess I'll never make the awesome Monkey Island game then.... had 4 ideas ...

1. Bar game
2. Spitting contest from MI2
3. Dance step memory game, from when Guybrush hits his head in MI2 and sees his parents (the dance part with the skeletons... I like the tune :P)
4. Underwater dive, in MI2, gettings stuff requested by the boat captain as quickly as possible from the ocean floor.
Just do it dude or you'll get banned (again).
Honestly, Lucas couldn't give a toss about the Amiga version anymore. I'd only be slightly worried if it were the newer ones on PC and playstation.
Actually, they don't care about their old point and clicks full stop. Mess with their Star-Whores games and well, you'll have the FBI at the door.