English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 July 2004, 14:13   #1
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Help on CD32 to ISO Please advise !!!

Can anyone tell me how you convert a cd32 CD to ISO ???
I have done it using ultraiso but the games ( gunship 2000 or Prey) didnt work !!!!
Am i missing something...What do you guys use ????

Either launching from cd and selecting the image...OR....just loading the cd32 default then selecting the image seems to have no effect except booting to the cd32 screen ???

Any help really appreciated as i want to include a load of images on the DVD
Old 20 July 2004, 22:03   #2
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
Use CDRWin 3.x (from Goldenhawk) if you want a quick 'n' dirty (and working) rip.
Old 21 July 2004, 03:08   #3
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Use CDRWin 3.x (from Goldenhawk) if you want a quick 'n' dirty (and working) rip.
Did what you said and had no probs making the ISO but i still cant get the damb thing to boot from cdrom : image ????

Is there any Particular settings i must have for this ISO ???

BTW...Thanks for the response....I use cdrwin for bin and cues all the time but didnt realise it made ISO's as well
Old 21 July 2004, 03:34   #4
th4t1guy

You can just use the Extract Disc/Tracks/Sectors function in cdr-win to make a bin+cue of the disc and it should work fine. If you have problems with a disc being correctly copied, try using a different cd-drive (or slower read speed settings) to read the disc. Sometimes the error correction on cdr-win can be a little off if you have an old drive.
Old 21 July 2004, 13:57   #5
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Ok i give up......I followed the instructions exactly and have no problems making a bin & cue or an ISO but it will STILL only boot to the CD32 loading screen as if nothing is there ????

I can boot originals from the Xbox DVD with no problem but obviously not my backups ( which is expected ) But i really wanted to include some rare playable images on the DVD like Prey....Etc......So i think il have to get back to this later
Old 21 July 2004, 14:12   #6
AmiGer

If I understand you right you try to mount the ISO in WINUAE directly. I don't know if this is possible. Try to use Daemon Tools instead *click*. Mount your ISO to a virtual CD drive and start the CD32 emulation. I bet that's the problem...
Old 21 July 2004, 15:24   #7
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiGer
If I understand you right you try to mount the ISO in WINUAE directly. I don't know if this is possible. Try to use Daemon Tools instead *click*. Mount your ISO to a virtual CD drive and start the CD32 emulation. I bet that's the problem...
No this is to run on the Xbox in Winuaex !!!! The dvd will boot in Windows and boot Winuaex in Xbox but its the images in Xbox thats giving me the grief !!!
But thanks for that very handy link though
Old 21 July 2004, 19:37   #8
th4t1guy

So you're trying to run a cd32 game on an Xbox, or an actual cd32? If it's a cd32, you can not use cd-rw. If you just want a cd32 disc to test, you can download one of the free images that's hosted on Back to the Roots, since those all work.
Old 22 July 2004, 01:38   #9
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy
So you're trying to run a cd32 game on an Xbox, or an actual cd32? If it's a cd32, you can not use cd-rw. If you just want a cd32 disc to test, you can download one of the free images that's hosted on Back to the Roots, since those all work.
Ok this has gotten confusing

Im using WinuaeX on xbox....As you know you can run it in CD32 mode and run real CD32 games on it.
There is also a facility to run a CD IMAGE: in CD32 mode which can be an ISO or a Bin&Cue. This is what i cant seem to get to work ( though many people have).

When i release the Tribute II DVD ( That boots in a PC or an Xbox ) i want to include some images so people can boot it in Xbox and run the images right away. ( Without the need of CD32 cd's )

Hope that makes it clearer
Old 22 July 2004, 04:44   #10
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Ok this is weird ?????
Downloaded gloom from BTTR !!! As suggested above and its already an ISO.
transferred it to Winuaex and it works perfectly so it must be something im doing wrong when i create the ISO ?????

All i need to know is what settings they use to create them....Any ideas...So close now i dont want to drop the idea

BTW....th4t1guy......Thanks for the advice
Old 22 July 2004, 07:24   #11
th4t1guy

No problem

When copying a cd32 cd, try to stick to the ones without audio tracks first, to narrow things down. If you have a cd burner, use that drive to read the discs, as they usually do a better job than dvd or regular cd drives.

Bin + Cue format is probably the best way to go for cd32 cds (custom formats like cdi, img, and nrg are not widely supported, and iso is almost too generic in that it's used by a lot of burning programs that only copy the directory contents when making an image). If CDR-win is making bad images, then either the source cd is bad, your cd-drive is bad, you need an ASPI layer installed, or its something else I can't think of. Good luck!
Old 22 July 2004, 11:30   #12
gary

<deep breath> The CD32 needs a special bootblock on the very first few sectors of an ISO image in order to boot from it in the same way a floppy disk needs to be 'installed' for it to be bootable. This also applies to emulation programs such as WinUAE/WinUAEx as they are using the CD32 ROM code. If you're trying to create a CD-ISO image file by copying individual files from a real CD (or even from within another image file) then this will not work without also inserting the CD32 Commodore specific boot files (CDTV.TM or CD32.TM) into the first part of the ISO image. As far as I know this can only be done with Amiga software (eg: the CD32 Developer kit). If you;re using CD32 ISO images downloaded from sites such as BTTR then these will be 100% CD32 ISO images and therefore already have the boot code installed at the start if the ISO file.

It's probably much easier to try and locate the real ISO images of the games you're after and copy them to your XBox drive/disc instead of making the images yourself.
Old 22 July 2004, 11:57   #13
[idoru]

Quote:
If CDR-win is making bad images, then either the source cd is bad, your cd-drive is bad, you need an ASPI layer installed, or its something else I can't think of. Good luck!
Or you have a dodgy serial number installed From what I remember reading, CDRWin won't tell you if you have a blacklisted serial number, but it will write/read garbage data instead. Of course, this could be total bullshit or it might not be...
Old 22 July 2004, 12:11   #14
AmiGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [idoru]
Or you have a dodgy serial number installed
Yes, you're right... I read it, too...
Old 22 July 2004, 12:55   #15
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by [idoru]
Or you have a dodgy serial number installed From what I remember reading, CDRWin won't tell you if you have a blacklisted serial number, but it will write/read garbage data instead. Of course, this could be total bullshit or it might not be...
Its a real serial number as i found it in the Crack directory
( WHOOPS !!! )

GARY !!!! The master himself !!!! ( love your cd's mate )
That would explain a lot which means i can include some IS0's anyway.
But im really Gutted i cant include Prey as its so rare and the Emu Emulates the the game perfectly.
But perhaps i can do something with the info you Guys have given me.

BTW....Is the cd32-350 one you made??? Or modded by someone else ??? Because when loading the little mouse icon sill says 200 ???

Thank you all for the feedback at least you have sorted the main problem and i can include some at least

Last edited by synchro; 22 July 2004 at 13:02.
Old 23 July 2004, 02:10   #16
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

CD32-350 was done by someone else, based on the 200.
I believe it is not 100% working at this stage anyway?
Old 23 July 2004, 03:18   #17
th4t1guy

Quote:
I believe it is not 100% working at this stage anyway?
If it's based on the cd32-200, I'd believe it. I had a few problems getting that to run on an expanded cd32 (although cd32-100 ran perfectly).
Old 23 July 2004, 04:50   #18
gary

Quote:
BTW....Is the cd32-350 one you made??? Or modded by someone else ??? Because when loading the little mouse icon sill says 200 ???
No, it is a modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy
If it's based on the cd32-200, I'd believe it. I had a few problems getting that to run on an expanded cd32 (although cd32-100 ran perfectly).
That doesn't make sense as the startup programs are practically identical, the only differences I can remember are that it doesn't force PAL mode (by resetting if it is NTSC) and doesn't enable doublespeed until the menu files are finished loading to lower problems with bad burns. I assume that without the expansion id does run OK then?

Last edited by gary; 23 July 2004 at 07:02.
Old 23 July 2004, 06:30   #19
th4t1guy

The problem I had was with Fastram (I think). CD32-100 ran perfectly with it, but cd32-200 refused to even boot the menu (it would load the mouse pointer briefly, crash, try to boot again, crash, and so on). When I disable it, cd32-200 works fine.

Using NTSC cd32 with SX-1 with 8meg fastram and a 812meg harddrive. The only way I can disable fastram without opening the sx-1 case is to unplug it from the cd32 completely, but I'll admit that I have not tried pulling the ram stick out to see if it was the SX-1 itself.