English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 May 2014, 23:35   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

screen capture using shadowplay with WinUAE

Hi all, I've been messing about using Nvidia's shadowplay screen capturing utility. I've got it working with WinUAE but the game only takes up about the central 45% of the screen. As brilliant as it is, I've always found WinUAE to be a bit confusing to configure, is there something I can do to the display settings to make fukker use of the screen? Thanks guys.
Old 14 May 2014, 08:49   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Use smaller resolution or upscale the image (filter panel) but there is not much point in scaling image, it only makes larger video files, it won't increase quality.

(also I don't support or care about external video recording because it can only record what it sees. Internal recording will not have any sound latency for example)
Old 14 May 2014, 12:12   #3
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
The internal recorder has been broken for along time. The video/audio sync is always out and quite often the avi will split and change resolution at a totally random place for no real reason. The 1st part might be something like 720x512 and then totally at random during recording it will split the avi and start recording at 800x600 that I have set in display config. I have to try and fix the audio desync with virtualdub for any recordings.

I have tried to get round it using fraps/dxtory to record but winuae really doesn't like anything capturing its screen and the frame rate can be very erratic for no real reason.
Old 14 May 2014, 12:18   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Works for me".

Are you sure you don't have some automatic filter option enabled that changes screen size or position? It will force new resolution and will split the output file.

EDIT: and don't use it in fastest possible or jit modes. It isn't going to work very well.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 14 May 2014 at 12:30.
Old 14 May 2014, 13:38   #5
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
The only filter I use is the Null filter as nothing gets recorded without this on. It hasn't always been this much of a problem. It's just got worse over time with newer versions.

The Audio sync is certainly more accurate when running in slower modes like plain a500/A1200 but its still not perfect sync and can drift in a long video. (50fps video 49.997 audio). It can cause a noticeable drift in a mater of seconds when using a highend config. (50fps video, 49.071 audio)
Old 14 May 2014, 14:36   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Ah, that. Unfortunately I have to say it is by design because it is easier and quality will be better by resampling or retiming with external editor. WinUAE simply assumes frame rate will be whatever the current mode is.

I guess easiest workaround is to force exactly 50Hz or 60Hz frame rate (using Display panel option).

This probably also explains why it appeared to work in some older versions that didn't emulate exact frame rate depending on current field mode (long, short, interlace) but had forced 50Hz or 60Hz.
Old 14 May 2014, 21:17   #7
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Use smaller resolution or upscale the image (filter panel) but there is not much point in scaling image, it only makes larger video files, it won't increase quality.
Understood that I can't increase the quality, but can I reduce the ratio of the black borders to the game area?

And many thanks.

Last edited by Angus; 15 May 2014 at 21:40.