English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 June 2017, 03:13   #81
Marchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
You know I thought I had tested this with my Indivision, but I can't seem to make it work now. The Indivision is probably at fault here, there must be some way of disabling it without disassembling my A2000.

Indivision works on the A2000 with Toaster, have the Switcher up on the RGB and Indivision screens right now.
I wish that would work for me! Are you using the original, or VT4000 card?

I could get the switcher up occasionally with the Indy in (and no video connected), but as soon as I connected an input the input 1, the whole system would freak out, and then nothing but 'Toaster not responding' errors when I started Switcher from then on. Maybe your A2000 is just more robust than mine (rev6.2, 1mb chip).

Shame because I'm a fan of that Indy ECS, a genuinely solid piece of kit (present problems excepted).

Solved that issu
I'm running 4.1 software, does anyone have a 4.3 CD they're willing to sell? PM if so. (Probably should start a second thread for that...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
Another little note: when I try to jump to modeller, the system just hangs on the 'busy' pointer. The only time this doesn't happen is when I use 'Switcher.main' (as opposed to 'LWStart' or 'Toaster Start) and I just get an Arexx error, but it all works fine. No biggie, but just wondering if anyone can shed any light on that?
Solved this by deleting the modeller config file.

Last edited by Marchie; 05 June 2017 at 03:19.
Old 05 June 2017, 03:22   #82
grelbfarlk

Quote:
I wish that would work for me! Are you using the original, or VT4000 card?

I could get the switcher up occasionally with the Indy in (and no video connected), but as soon as I connected an input the input 1, the whole system would freak out, and then nothing but 'Toaster not responding' errors when I started Switcher from then on. Maybe your A2000 is just more robust than mine (rev6.2, 1mb chip).

Shame because I'm a fan of that Indy ECS, a genuinely solid piece of kit (present problems excepted).

Solved that issu
I'm running 4.1 software, does anyone have a 4.3 CD they're willing to sell? PM if so. (Probably should start a second thread for that...)
Why don't you just download the VideoToaster.ISO and mount it as a virtual disc and install VT3.1? It has VT3.1 and VT4.something on it.

You know I think I see what you are talking about. I was starting from a Minimal startup and getting everything working again, then I plugged in the Indivision and it worked. Quit and relaunched a few times just to make sure. I booted it up today after getting the Workbench build working again (I had some bad sectors and lost a few system files) and I am getting Video Toaster Not responding. So I start from a minimal startup again, with the Indi disconnected, (just monitor cable unpluged) and it started right up. I then plugged in the Indivision and it displayed my Switcher. I had a DVD player hooked up to Input 1 and Preview out hooked up to a TV. So something funky is going on here.

That issue aside.
It could be the frequency you have defined on the Indivision is not playing nicely with the Toaster, is it something like 640x480 or 720x480@60Hz?
Old 05 June 2017, 04:07   #83
Marchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
@Marchie

If you install a Cybervision64 in your machine it gets along with the VT4000. Then you can use one flicker free montor in 24 bit with the Cybervision64 with ImageFX for example and keep a 15Khz monitor attached to the Amiga for the Toaster. Jens has no Video Toaster 4000 cards unfortunately so never made the Invision cards work with it. That great German efficiency and standard of excellence is not Video Toaster compatible sadly. Maybe not enough of Jen's customers own the most successful video tool of all time (on Amiga)? The Video Toaster was the most successful video editing solution on the Amiga.
And there's one on Ebay right now for only $9,000 AUD...

Seriously speaking though, it does sound like a cracking good idea. At the moment my expansion plans are all on-hold until the V500 arrives. Keen to see how well it plays with the VT. So I'm on close to a bare-minimum system: 68020, 12mb/1mb. In a sense though that's why I resurrected my A2000 in the first place - if I want limitless resources I'll just boot up my PC
Old 07 June 2017, 04:32   #84
Pyromania

I'm happy to hear that Indivision works with the Toaster. Jens has his hardware elves working hard on cool Amiga hardware upgrades.
Old 07 June 2017, 15:31   #85
Marchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Why don't you just download the VideoToaster.ISO and mount it as a virtual disc and install VT3.1? It has VT3.1 and VT4.something on it.

You know I think I see what you are talking about. I was starting from a Minimal startup and getting everything working again, then I plugged in the Indivision and it worked. Quit and relaunched a few times just to make sure. I booted it up today after getting the Workbench build working again (I had some bad sectors and lost a few system files) and I am getting Video Toaster Not responding. So I start from a minimal startup again, with the Indi disconnected, (just monitor cable unpluged) and it started right up. I then plugged in the Indivision and it displayed my Switcher. I had a DVD player hooked up to Input 1 and Preview out hooked up to a TV. So something funky is going on here.

That issue aside.
It could be the frequency you have defined on the Indivision is not playing nicely with the Toaster, is it something like 640x480 or 720x480@60Hz?
Yeah, I just found Pyromania's post on Amiga.org with the link to the Open VideoToaster ISO, so thanks Pyro!

So, you're getting different results with the Indi just by disconecting the monitor from it? It's reassuring to hear that your getting similar results to me, maybe I'm not doing EVERYTHING wrong..(just some stuff!)

Regarding resolutions, I'll check, but I'm pretty sure it was just the default NTSC 640 x 400.

By the way - is there a way to boot straight into modeller without going through Lightwave first? I'm getting software errors trying to switch.

Last edited by Marchie; 07 June 2017 at 15:59.
Old 08 June 2017, 00:06   #86
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Yeah, I just found Pyromania's post on Amiga.org with the link to the Open VideoToaster ISO, so thanks Pyro!

So, you're getting different results with the Indi just by disconecting the monitor from it? It's reassuring to hear that your getting similar results to me, maybe I'm not doing EVERYTHING wrong..(just some stuff!)

Regarding resolutions, I'll check, but I'm pretty sure it was just the default NTSC 640 x 400.

By the way - is there a way to boot straight into modeller without going through Lightwave first? I'm getting software errors trying to switch.
I was talking about what refresh rate you told the Indivision to convert the RGB to.

Regarding Modeler you should be able to just launch modeler directly, at least that's what I remember, as long as the Switcher is running you should be able to launch from Workbench, but make sure you have RexxMast running, the install usually puts that in your startup. To switch back to workbench it's Ctrl, Ctrl, Alt, Alt I think-my hands know it but my brain doesn't and I don't have an Amiga keyboard handy this second.
Old 08 June 2017, 03:27   #87
Marchie

Didn't know I could set the refresh rate with the indi (I had just assumed it used the timing from the system, which would be 50hz or 60hz).

That's the info I was looking for regarding modeller - I knew it would open if switcher was running, but didn't know how to get back to WB once switcher was open. Thank you!

All useful information, much appreciated!
Old 09 June 2017, 03:38   #88
Marchie

Found the shortcut - Left Amiga+M will get back to WB from Switcher. Sadly for me modeller 5 still gives a software error (modeller 4 is no problem, go figure). At least I know it's not a switching-from-Lightwave problem.
Old 10 June 2017, 02:37   #89
grelbfarlk

I'm now able to start the Videotoaster at a cold start with a monitor hooked up to the Indivision. Then I turn on my video source to Input 1 and the Indivision and rgb blank out for a second but it all works. And I don't think the Indivision frequency matters that much since my monitor connected to it reports that as 75Hz. But I can't seem to find the Indivision tool on my HDD to check for sure.
Old 11 June 2017, 10:36   #90
Marchie

Have you changed any specific settings?

I finally have the system running after months of trying so I'm a little reluctant to tamper with it, but at the same time relying on an old 1084 as my main display...my days are numbered.
Old 12 June 2017, 00:34   #91
grelbfarlk

No I haven't changed anything other than doing an Autohue last time around. Just follow what it tells you when you run AutoHue, connect output 5 into input 4 and have a live video source, which for me was a DVD player.
Old 12 June 2017, 13:44   #92
Marchie

OK, I'll try that when I'm feeling game.

I'm getting a 'stack overflow'error when I try to bring a background into modeler, tried a whole range of different stack sizes, nothing seems to make a difference. Anyone else encountered this?
Old 17 June 2017, 02:55   #93
grelbfarlk

Quote:
OK, I'll try that when I'm feeling game.

I'm getting a 'stack overflow'error when I try to bring a background into modeler, tried a whole range of different stack sizes, nothing seems to make a difference. Anyone else encountered this?
I've actually had that quite a few times. Usually it was because I tried using a very large or high color picture. Convert it down to a resolution close to what Modeler uses ~640x400 4-bit.
Old 17 June 2017, 12:23   #94
emufan

did a test with modeler from 5.0r scene release - 200000 stacksize,
1280x2523 iff 24 bit image - reduced palette to 8 colors with xnview.
does work without problem.
Old 18 June 2017, 15:24   #95
Marchie

Yeah I think it's just because I'm running on real hardware and switcher is chewing up too much of my precious 12mb.
Old 18 June 2017, 15:36   #96
emufan

quick solution: add scene release binaries with different names to your vt folder and start LW/modeler from wb.
Old 19 June 2017, 06:36   #97
Pyromania

@emufan

Thanx for finding Marchie a quick solution.
Old 23 June 2017, 07:13   #98
Marchie

Render Ahoy!

In glorious HAM 320x240. Much more to do yet, but she works! Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rendered in a speedy 5m 47sec. Seriously, who needs an i7...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Modelling1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	53513   Click image for larger version

Name:	HAM_Render_320.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	53514  
Old 23 June 2017, 16:26   #99
emufan

np, glad it does work now
cool model - selfmade? i still juggle with spheres and boxes ... and lights
Old 26 June 2017, 03:47   #100
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Render Ahoy!

In glorious HAM 320x240. Much more to do yet, but she works! Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rendered in a speedy 5m 47sec. Seriously, who needs an i7...
Why are you rendering in HAM instead of outputting 24-bit to the Toaster?