English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 06 June 2023, 01:31   #1
Dustellar

[Request] Horror zombies from the crypt

Hi! I wonder if someone could rip the sprites from this game, especially the amazing death animation, I tried but I suck at using gfxrip or maptapper.

Here some save states
Horror Zombies from the Crypt (Amiga, ADF, cr HZ).zip

Horror Zombies from the Crypt (Amiga, ADF, cr HZ, t +5 Goonies).zip

Horror Zombies from the Crypt (Amiga, ADF, cr HZ, t +6 EP).zip

Horror Zombies from the Crypt (Amiga, IPF, 0286).zip

Also the animation, I tried to remove the background but failed too :P
Click image for larger version

Name:	output-onlinegiftools.gif
Views:	82
Size:	839.5 KB
ID:	79268

Thanks!

Edit: not sure what's wrong, here the links to download each of those saves from m#diafire (not sure why it censor it)
https://www..com/file/3rjd27yvy8uyam...%2529.zip/file
https://www..com/file/e8or1ulokq3pxw...%2529.zip/file
https://www..com/file/otj2r0xmt0ky7w...%2529.zip/file
https://www..com/file/jd4bnq00n2k1lf...%2529.zip/file

Last edited by Dustellar; 06 June 2023 at 01:45.
Old 06 June 2023, 09:20   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Welcome to EAB, Dustellar You could upload the files to the zone instead: https://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb...ezone_faq_item
Old 06 June 2023, 11:18   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

May I ask what you want to do with the graphics?

Full disclosure: I have ALL the graphics (and sounds) in the game because this is one of my projects, to try and create a better playable version of the game. I'm around 75% of the way there currently, being held up by the fact that I have no inspiration to make levels It'd be pretty sucky if we become competition of each other
Old 06 June 2023, 11:28   #4
str0m

I recently re-discovered this game after putting up a thread trying to find it's name as all I could remember was the music and the theme. It is hard! Having a energy bar or simply being able to take a few hits before dying would be a great change!
Old 06 June 2023, 11:55   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

My thoughts exactly, I turned the energy bar which would in the old game be used as a countdown for a special power (crouch, sneak, zombie morph) into a health bar. There is no reason why the special power has a countdown anyway when you can just press space to restart it.

And be able to attack left/right from a ladder without having to do a wonky jump first.

And no way to get stuck in a level because you missed a pickup.

And more sounds, because there being no sound when your head explodes is just a missed opportunity.

And an actual ending sequence instead of just "game over" without even a compliment.

And... a list of probably 50+ other items I think for Horror Zombies my list of possible improvements was the longest of all games I picked as potential targets to do this experiment with.
Old 06 June 2023, 20:35   #6
Dustellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
May I ask what you want to do with the graphics?

Full disclosure: I have ALL the graphics (and sounds) in the game because this is one of my projects, to try and create a better playable version of the game. I'm around 75% of the way there currently, being held up by the fact that I have no inspiration to make levels It'd be pretty sucky if we become competition of each other
I played it on stream (I'm doing an "Amigamania") and completely fell in love with that death animation, I want to make an animated emote or maybe use it as "reward" that would appear on screen every time I die tbh I'm only interested in that death animation.

I know nothing about coding btw, I would even had troubles emulating Amiga if FS-UAE weren't so simple to use so I could not be anyone's competition if you don't mind lending me the death animation that would be cool, if you can't it's fine too, I really enjoyed the game and would love to play your version once you finish it.
Old 06 June 2023, 20:47   #7
Dustellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
I recently re-discovered this game after putting up a thread trying to find it's name as all I could remember was the music and the theme. It is hard! Having a energy bar or simply being able to take a few hits before dying would be a great change!
The biggest problem with the game is that the last two passwords are useless, since there's a missing item (the cross) and without it you can't finish the game, I tried several versions of the game and the cross never appeared in the last two world (it does appears in the DOS version) so I had to use world 3 passworld (there's a cross there) and finish it without dying it was painful but still enjoyed it a lot.

I still wonder if there was a secret room in the last world
Old 06 June 2023, 22:21   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ah no worries then, I put a zip with the individual frames in the zone. Don't know if you obtained access to it yet, here are the instructions:

https://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb...ezone_faq_item

They are pixel doubled, you may have to use a paint tool to scale it down if you so please.

If you think the animation is gruesome as it is, picture it with a nice loud scream and a head cracking sound to accompany it

Oh yeah, I should mention that some of the frames are repeated. The sequence is as follows:

death: 1,2,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
explode: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Last edited by gimbal; 06 June 2023 at 22:35.
Old 06 June 2023, 22:31   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

While I'm on the subject, I think this game actually has a huge bug which I can't actually believe because it is in plain sight. The standard frame for standing still is this godawful one:

I kid you not, I thought the dude had a wooden leg for the longest time and that's why the walking cycle is so weird. But this is actually a frame from the walking animation. I present to you another frame from the walking animation:

... that should have been the standing still frame, right!? How the heck did they mess that up! Another thing I corrected in my remake.
Old 06 June 2023, 22:58   #10
Dustellar

Thanks you very much! it's just what I needed! I can't wait to play your corrected version someday, it's a game that with some corrections is one of the best I've played so far.

Yeah, I think one of my viewers made fun of his leg too
Old 06 June 2023, 23:04   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

One of the best! Horror Zombies!? You think you've heard everything at some point but no. People keep surprising you.

Don't ever lookup a video of the PC version, you'll get a weird phone call claiming you will die in 7 days if you do.