English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 16 October 2003, 05:46   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Smile Rocky (1987 Robtek)

That's an Emerald Mine/Boulder Dash clone (TOSEC: please put this game into Emerald Mine DAT, btw), and as I could guess, most of you will call this CRAP.

Game is programmed in AmigaBasic, graphics are low-end quality, but well ... the puzzles are good!

>> HOL entry here <<

The TOSEC version seems to be a kind of demo, preview or PD release, because there are only 20 levels.
The disk has no viruses or errors, but after completing level 20, you see a message that it tries to load level 21, but fails.
After that, the game shows a beige screen.

Is there a version of this EM clone that goes beyond level 20?
Or has no one ever thought about the fact someone could complete all 20 levels?

Freeze is in the zone for you debugging fans and fiddlers; state saved shortly before you pick up the last diamond
Old 17 March 2014, 15:11   #2
Felstaff

Question Rocky (1987)(Robtek)[h SCA]

I might be replying to an 11-year-old thread, but I've been looking for a working copy for King-Size Rocky (1987) by RobTek/Exodus-soft for roughly 11 years, too.

The current TOSEC one, as described above, breaks at level 20. From what I recall, there were only 20 levels in total. In the game, once you complete level 20 it takes you to the level editor, where you can design your own level. You then play through the game again from the beginning, but they add your saved level onto the end (as "level 21"). Me & my dad managed to do this once, when I was a wee nipper back in 1989, but he over-elaborated the level design and it was impossible to solve. If I recall correctly, the impossible edited level was saved directly onto the disc, and stayed there forever. As such, we never again managed to complete the game after that.

Here's the level editor in action (from LemonAmiga):

If anybody could debug/fiddle with/magicianize the file ("Rocky (1987)(Robtek)[h SCA].adf" on The Googles) to stop it from crashing when you collect the last diamond on level 20, that would be most grand! Or if there's a fixed/unbreaking version floating around, that would be terrificballs, too.

And yes, the game was significantly crap and slow and clunky compared to other Boulder Dash/Emerald Mine clones, but the puzzles were real mindbenders, which is why we loved the game.

Edit: I realised you can actually enter the level editor at any time. I just created a dummy level, which automatically saved as level 21. I then ran through the game (goodness me it's so easy. Some of the puzzles aren't even puzzles. Just gem-collection levels. Pah!) Sure enough, once I completed level 20, it took me to the dummy level 21. When I completed that, the screen just went grey again, like the OP noted when you completed level 20. I'm beginning to think no real ending to this game was ever coded...!

Here's my edited level

Last edited by Felstaff; 17 March 2014 at 17:02.