English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 07 April 2024, 18:23   #1
Nightfox

Has EAB blocked ChatGPT?

Hey

ChatGPT used to be able to access the EAB forum and inform me about all the discussions here but now whenever I try it says it can’t access EAB likely because of a robots.txt file or some other permissions restriction.

Was this a new thing that was added and if so can it be reversed? I really enjoyed doing this
Old 08 April 2024, 16:01   #2
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

How terrible! Without ChatGPT, where will we turn to for half-coherent Amiga discussion riddled with subtle errors produced by a probabilistic mimickry of language patterns but devoid of any real understanding!?
Old 08 April 2024, 16:33   #3
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
Hey

ChatGPT used to be able to access the EAB forum and inform me about all the discussions here but now whenever I try it says it can’t access EAB likely because of a robots.txt file or some other permissions restriction.
I didn't knew chatgpt could access eab, I thought it was living in the past so not much use... I can use a plugin in chrome to summarize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
How terrible! Without ChatGPT, where will we turn to for half-coherent Amiga discussion riddled with subtle errors produced by a probabilistic mimickry of language patterns but devoid of any real understanding!?
You got triggered because someone find a use you know nothing about? Exactly how different is to use chatgpt from google? It's just a different way to query information on internet. We all know real men use only the only forum threads until they find exactly what they are searching for!
Old 08 April 2024, 16:49   #4
ransom1122

Quote:
Hey

Was this a new thing that was added and if so can it be reversed? I really enjoyed doing this
Inform me about discussions?

Explain how?
Old 08 April 2024, 17:35   #5
Pyromania

Sounds like a cool feature. I would like to try it if access is restored.
Old 08 April 2024, 17:44   #6
ShK

Quote:
hatGPT used to be able to access the EAB forum and inform me about all the discussions here but now whenever I try it says it can’t access EAB likely because of a robots.txt file or some other permissions restriction
Yap, it thinks it's because of the robots.txt. Probably the same reason why Google no longer indexes the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eab.png
Views:	86
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	81983  
Old 08 April 2024, 17:46   #7
hceline

I believe the answer to why is in this thread: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=115789
Old 08 April 2024, 20:17   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
Exactly how different is to use chatgpt from google?
Google produces existing hallucinations, ChatGPT creates entirely new ones.
Old 08 April 2024, 21:55   #9
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
You got triggered because someone find a use you know nothing about? Exactly how different is to use chatgpt from google? It's just a different way to query information on internet. We all know real men use only the only forum threads until they find exactly what they are searching for!
I suspect this is a woosh moment where the point being made goes over your head. The comment you are responding to can be read in an ironic sense. If the point is that the board is already riddled with posts that resemble his description even without ChatGPT being used you are proving his point.
Old 09 April 2024, 00:12   #10
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
I think that is a good explanation of what PC "politically correct" language is and the society that revolves around that is. Ever since home computers were introduced, there has been a licensing system of some sort and the debate between centralization and freehold assets has continued. Encroaching on an ever-greater demographic.
Old 09 April 2024, 00:34   #11
cloverskull

You know, this would be a really cool use case for ChatGPT that I hadn't considered. I dabble in all sorts of retro hardware and homebrew for various consoles and a lot of times the threads can be hundreds of pages long. This would be great. Too bad the indexing is too harsh on the servers :/
Old 09 April 2024, 00:37   #12
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
I suspect this is a woosh moment where the point being made goes over your head. The comment you are responding to can be read in an ironic sense. If the point is that the board is already riddled with posts that resemble his description even without ChatGPT being used you are proving his point.
I guess, it must be the first time where one try to impose their own tastes onto others. Besides, you shouldn't find odd that a comment that it is made in a way that 'can be read as' might not get the fully introspection to be read as such. Imagine you that for example I might haven't experienced that kind of metaphor, and for me is alien, but I might have seen much bashing left and right of ChatGPT, with their own reasons I won't say there are no reasons...
Ps I was actually to update and remove that part right after having posted, but then I figured out that it wasn't the end of the world. To the author, if I missinterpreted your real meaning, which I might as well have, just you take it lightly.
Old 09 April 2024, 00:44   #13
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Google produces existing hallucinations, ChatGPT creates entirely new ones.
Google chrome search on the www and send you the closest pages it find regarding what you're searching for, you then have to actually read it yourself, there's no hallucinations there, you might just not have the better links, regarding ChatGPT it presents you with an answer as much close as possible to the question being presented and do a resume of what it finds, the hallucinations has to do with how few data he found in the first moment. It is said that an llm will always hallucinate
Old 09 April 2024, 00:46   #14
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
You know, this would be a really cool use case for ChatGPT that I hadn't considered. I dabble in all sorts of retro hardware and homebrew for various consoles and a lot of times the threads can be hundreds of pages long. This would be great. Too bad the indexing is too harsh on the servers :/
Imagine the content you have on YouTube comment section, if you somehow could extract the best content out of it out of the thousands being made, instead of those getting buried deep forever it would make a lot of sense imo
Old 09 April 2024, 03:50   #15
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
The answer is "both." Yes, I'm joking that lots of forum babble is of questionable veracity to begin with; but also, LLMs are in fact a probabilistic mimickry of language patterns completely devoid of understanding, and after seeing one forum after another get spammed with threads on the "I asked ELIZA '24 about this highly technical question and here's what she vomited, can one of you boring flesh-brains tell me if it's anything approaching conventional notions of 'correct?'" template, I am more than relieved to hear that this one is (however coincidentally) stymieing that.
Old 09 April 2024, 04:40   #16
giantclam

Quote:
Hey

This maybe related to the EAB site becoming unreliable a few months back, when then the problem was identified as being caused by bots/web-spiders/other entities mercilessly scraping the EAB site ; I believe the robot.txt file was updated at that time, to help alleviate the issue. You'd probably have to pm RCK on this one, as iirc this also was a limitation of the hardware the EAB site is running on =)
Old 09 April 2024, 05:45   #17
Nightfox

Thanks I'll ask RCK to have a look at this thread.

This feature was great because one time when I first released AmigaGPT I was in voice chat mode with ChatGPT and I asked it what people think about AmigaGPT and it was able to tell me both the good and bad of what people were saying, and a lot of it was sourced from EAB
Old 16 April 2024, 11:01   #18
Don_Adan

Seems that Google removed all search results from EAB.
Old 16 April 2024, 11:33   #19
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Yeah, prohibiting Google's bots from scraping via robots.txt will have that effect
Old 16 April 2024, 11:43   #20
hceline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
There is already another thread about this issue here: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=116883.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShK View Post
Yap, it thinks it's because of the robots.txt. Probably the same reason why Google no longer indexes the forum.
This is probably not related. And if it is, chances are that it is the other way around.
As in EAB got booted from Google because the Google bot kept hitting the "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later." because the AI boots flooded the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Yeah, prohibiting Google's bots from scraping via robots.txt will have that effect
Google is not blocked not blocked only AI boots:

Code:
User-agent: GPTBot
User-agent: CCBot
User-agent: ChatGPT-User
Disallow: /
User-agent: *
Allow: /
Sitemap: https://eab.abime.net/sitemap_index.xml.gz

Last edited by hceline; 16 April 2024 at 11:44. Reason: Spelling