English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 October 2007, 09:27   #1
mikro

Using amiga (update all, partitioning, classic wb)

Hi,

my trip across the amiga system continues I've got 3 problems now:

- I succesfully installed 64bit filesystem (ffstd64) to break 4 GB barrier. However, I don't understand how can I make more than let's say, four partitions? AFAIK amiga partition limit is 2 GB and that slider in HDToolBox allows me create just that four 2 GB partitions... how to make more?

- update all: how to make it default after all copy actions? i'm pretty upset when I have to everytime I copy something choose "update all" to see if my files are on the place where they are supposed to be..

- i found great, great, great!!! thing called ClassicWB (preinstalled system with a lot of nice stuff), I've tried it in WinAUE and then transfered to my local harddisk (winuae + usb2ide is a killer combination ) -- under winuae I have no problems -- all is installed, all works. Then I copied System.zip to the DH0:, install adf to my amiga diskette, reboot on real amiga and:
a) when this installer found trashcan it tells me about it and then copy fails
b) ok, quickformat, no trashcan this time... reboot... system.zip found, great... inflating... inflating... inflating... inflating... hooray! done! no errors, everything ok... reboot and ... wtf?? nothing. after boot from wb3.1 diskette I see nothing but system.zip and system.hdf on the DH0 ! I think this isn't the feature?
Old 11 October 2007, 11:16   #2
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

From what I can see, you have packed the HDF file from Windows, NOT the partition inside WinUAE's Workbench.

I'ld advice you to goto Aminet and choose a packer program of your choice (I recommend LZX and/or LHA), then you (inside WinUAE's workbench) unpack these to C: so they're easy to use.

(for lha, I think you'll use lha.run or somesuch from the Shell to unpack it, and here it is, LHA)

Then just copy LhA to C:

Then type from shell:

LHA a sys: Win_DH0:classicwb.lha

I'm sure I've forgotten a lha parameter to make it include all directories, I'm a teeny bit rusty with lha at the moment so bear with me if you choose LZX instead, it uses the same syntax as lha, btw, it just packs a little bit better than LHA.

then transfer your newly created C:\ClassicWB to your real Amiga, unpack it (lha x classicwb.lha) and voila. you _should_ have a working ClassicWB install on your real Amiga A1200

To close this, I'm sure someone with a slightly less rusty lha/lzx knowledge than me, will correct my syntax. However, just typing lha in the shell will give you a "help" list with the syntax. just input the "includes directory" parameter to pack, and also the "create empty drawers" parameter when you unpack the archive.
Old 11 October 2007, 11:32   #3
mikro

of course, this is the way I've tried too. There was slight problem with something (T: something not found or so) so I decided to do install in the "clean" way. According to docs I should copy original system.zip from classicwb package to dh0: and install it using install adf which is present in the package, too. I expected to depack system.zip (which succeed) but I also expected depacking from hdf image
Old 11 October 2007, 11:43   #4
ppill
CON: artist

By far the easiest way to install classicWB is to connect the HD to a PC and using WinUAE install it there. All that's left then is to put it back and enjoy.
Old 11 October 2007, 11:45   #5
mikro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
By far the easiest way to install classicWB is to connect the HD to a PC and using WinUAE install it there. All that's left then is to put it back and enjoy.
this is exactly the thing i'm going to do when i come to home /yesterday i was too tired to get the idea of change partition name from System: to DH0: so the installer complained/
Old 11 October 2007, 12:12   #6
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Well, only problem I have with the "connect HD to PC" appraoch, is I have a 2.5" in the amiga and no 2.5->3.5 converter

Otherwise I'ld prolly suggest that meself