English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 April 2019, 21:11   #41
hth313

Quote:
Originally Posted by DofD View Post
You can access the data on the SD via USB. The files will show up like a regular SD card. But to format and set up the partitions and file systems on the SD card, you will need to do that on a real Amiga or via UAE.
Even better, then I probably need to consider routing a USB cable out or make some other kind of arrangement.
Old 01 May 2019, 20:44   #42
Irl

I had put a notch into the chassis lid to accommodate the capacitor on top of the SCSI2SDv6, but I mounted mine on top of my Gotek. Because the Gotek bezel is too small for the Amiga 2000, there was enough room to stack them and still access the SD card and USB. I will come up with some new face plate for the whole thing later, but for now this works pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCSI2SD on Gotek.PNG
Views:	239
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	62959  
Old 01 May 2019, 20:54   #43
AC/DC HACKER!

Anyone with an A4000 and CSPPC with it attached to the SCSI willing to report speeds?
Old 01 May 2019, 23:04   #44
starship

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Anyone with an A4000 and CSPPC with it attached to the SCSI willing to report speeds?
I wonder this too.

I have cyberstorm mk3. With cf2ide and scsi2ide and got 36mb/sn.
I think it is slow than this.
Old 01 May 2019, 23:36   #45
DofD

The SCSI2SD V6 can go up to 10MB/sec in synchronous SCSI2 mode. But you have to have the appropriate SCSI controller for this.
Old 02 May 2019, 00:44   #46
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starship View Post
I wonder this too.

I have cyberstorm mk3. With cf2ide and scsi2ide and got 36mb/sn.
I think it is slow than this.
Nice handle.

I have the CF-IDE Adapter V.A1 DMA Mode/VCC from IDE pin 20 and only get 2,412,468 MB/s. Or did you mean 3.6MB? Because 36MB/s would be blazing fast vs what I see. If 36MB, then I'm wondering what I'm not doing correctly. Then the 10 or 20MB/s would be a big leap to me. Haha!

Quote:
The SCSI2SD V6 can go up to 10MB/sec in synchronous SCSI2 mode. But you have to have the appropriate SCSI controller for this.
I'd connect it to my SCSI-UltraWide (coming from CyberStorm MK3) to SCSI-2 adapter which is then connected to my SCS2SD V5.0 and it's half as slow as my CF-to IDE connector. Perhaps I should have another look at some settings..
Old 02 May 2019, 01:10   #47
DofD

Another thing to remember that the SCSI bus speed is limited to the slowest device on the chain. So if your SCSI2SD is only doing 2.4MB/sec then that will be the limit for all devices on the chain regardless of their capabilities.
Old 02 May 2019, 11:15   #48
starship

Quote:
Nice handle.

I have the CF-IDE Adapter V.A1 DMA Mode/VCC from IDE pin 20 and only get 2,412,468 MB/s. Or did you mean 3.6MB? Because 36MB/s would be blazing fast vs what I see. If 36MB, then I'm wondering what I'm not doing correctly. Then the 10 or 20MB/s would be a big leap to me. Haha!
3.6mb/s is the normal a4000 ide speed with pio upgrade.

You must get min 20mb/s on your csppc. Did you try the speed with normal scsi hdd? What is your scsi chip clock?
Old 02 May 2019, 20:12   #49
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starship View Post
3.6mb/s is the normal a4000 ide speed with pio upgrade.

You must get min 20mb/s on your csppc. Did you try the speed with normal scsi hdd? What is your scsi chip clock?
One of my 2 HD's is in bad shape. They had pretty quick read-speeds in the 90's...a little faster than the CF-IDE adapter's speed. They were connected to the CSPPC's SCSI. I had a CD-ROM connected to scsi.device. I might pull out my Dataflyer and check it's speeds. Around 6 months ago I connected it and connected my ZipDrive to it...and that read pretty well. But I've not been really been into all the speed checks through bench-marking like a lot of others. I was more visual about it. Since my A4000 is getting a little less than 3.6MB/s how do I check the SCSI chip clock? I have SysInfo 4 and SysSpeed, but I'm not sure you're meaning anything they produce. Where shall I check? Appreciate the help.

Quote:
Another thing to remember that the SCSI bus speed is limited to the slowest device on the chain. So if your SCSI2SD is only doing 2.4MB/sec then that will be the limit for all devices on the chain regardless of their capabilities.
I think I remember something about that...from a guy that was much more into the hardware this way than I was...then. The CF-IDE is the only connection on scsi.device. The SCSI2SD 5.0 is the only device connected to CSPPC. I also checked the 2 connections on the cable, furthest out and closest in..didn't make a difference. Figured it wouldn't. My SCSI2SD is doing 1.3MB/s..
Old 02 May 2019, 21:46   #50
starship

Scsi chip clock is the crystal osc on the csppc.

Maybe this link can help you.

https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=22658.0
Old 02 May 2019, 23:05   #51
DofD

Quote:

I think I remember something about that...from a guy that was much more into the hardware this way than I was...then. The CF-IDE is the only connection on scsi.device. The SCSI2SD 5.0 is the only device connected to CSPPC. I also checked the 2 connections on the cable, furthest out and closest in..didn't make a difference. Figured it wouldn't. My SCSI2SD is doing 1.3MB/s..
With the SCSI2SD V5 on your CSPPC, the SCSI2SD V5 will top out at about 2.6MB/s read, and 2.3MB/s write, under optimal settings and conditions, with a low end of 1.1MB/s.

You might want to check the configurations for the SCSI2SD to see if you can get some more speed out of it. I'm not sure how much of an impact the adaptors you are using will have as well.
Old 03 May 2019, 03:41   #52
AC/DC HACKER!

CSPPC SCSI > SCSI-3 Cable....Port......Port >-SCSI-3toSCSI-2->SCS2SD V5.0.

After some more looking around, and at what starship offered, I found: https://www.black-box.de/en-de/page/...d-5-connectors

Which informs that 20MBps is the max speed. Hmm.. It would be great if it came close to that. The newer Config (for Windows or Mac) shows a new speed setting; Normal/Slow. I tried slow, for fun, and it WAS much slower. HAH! The specs of V6 are looking like it will get to "faster" speeds. So, after a bit I'll go V6..if I don't stay with CF..

Thumbs up for the replies.
Old 19 August 2019, 05:44   #53
AC/DC HACKER!

I bought V6 for my A4000 + CyerStormPPC/zer060. Once I got a hold of the Ultil6 for it it's a easy to configure but everything is pretty picky. Since it's not the same as V5 it operates a little differently...obviously.

The problems I've come across so far as I cannot get it access AFTER OS 4.1.1 is loaded and shows the Amiga 4.1 logo in white that fades into brighter while accessing devices. I can see the cybppc.device partition, but it locks and V6 has a solid light at that point when going to boot into OS 4. During one of several tests, I lost access to SCS2SD V6...could not write to it. I had to locate a small paper clip to reset the device..since a shunt is not on the board. After getting access back..it works great with OS 3.1, to 3.1.4 68K and PPC games..while connected to CSPPC's SCSI.

I'm currently using Sync 5MB as Sync 10MB seems to cause some problems with PFS3 and FFS is just toooooooooo slow. I'll write Michael McMaster soon and give details. Hopefully he can clear it for Amiga OS PPC. It loads WHDLoad version of Steel Sky CD32 with Voices in 1:32.. I have buffers set to 500. This blows away the CF adapter I have on scsi.device...as BSS was loading at 6 to 6:50 or so.

I've played with many different settings combinations with Util6 and CSPPC's SCSI settings. For 68K and PPC that way, it seems pretty solid...and speedy. I'm also checking for possible error later as reported by others.

I will type that one of my boot to OS 4.1.1 tests, the PFS3 partition became corrupt..and the PFSDoctor (first release with Icon) was able to fix it. However, the corruption..it wasn't.
Old 19 August 2019, 05:53   #54
AC/DC HACKER!

Update:

A4000 users...with CSPPC: Don't use Sync 10 or 5.. Use ASync 5. Also, "Hard Drive" functions well, where as "Removeable" doesn't. Now you're able to use 68K as well as Amiga OS PPC 4.1.1..

I might make a guide. Currently, it's a sweet bit of hardware. I haven't had any problems since using these settings. Only used PSF3. It's kicking butt over V5.
Old 19 August 2019, 19:13   #55
Vypr

For mounting options, I have designed a couple of mounts and uploaded them to Thingiverse if you have access to a 3D printing service. They were designed for the V5 card but they should fit the V6 as they mount in the same way.

For A590\A2091: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3733869
For A2000 in 3.5" Bay : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3733869

I don;t have anything for the A4000 as I don;t have one myself, but if it's just like a standard PC Bay (mount ing holes on the side) Then I can bodge something up if it's needed.
Old 20 August 2019, 02:19   #56
dalek

Nice work.

As a "one day" project I was thinking of a dual mount for a gotek + scsi2sd in a single 3.5" bay - I haven't measured it but I think it might fit. Hopefully someone beats me to it
Old 23 August 2019, 20:41   #57
AC/DC HACKER!

To Vyper,

Pretty cool, if I had access. If Bookmark the links for if I do at some time. For now, my A4000 is outside the case where it's able to be kept really cool and cleaned once in a while. Best venting so far. I'm sure this will be useful later, or to someone else. Sweet share.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 23 August 2019 at 20:52.
Old 12 October 2019, 19:08   #58
mnemo
MTN/SPT

Since I'm just installing my newly acquired SCSI2SD v6 into my Amiga 3000, I just wanted to inform everyone that there's a new firmware released, namely 6.2.7.

Download here.

The site says:
[9 Oct 2019]v6.2.7 Performance Update
Improvements to data throughput, which may assist SCSI hosts with short timeouts.

mnemo
Old 13 October 2019, 02:27   #59
AC/DC HACKER!

So far, this makes it a little bit faster with my A4000 connected to my CyberStormPPC's SCSI. Using PFS3-AIO.
Old 13 December 2019, 23:29   #60
Futaura

Quote:
Update:

A4000 users...with CSPPC: Don't use Sync 10 or 5.. Use ASync 5. Also, "Hard Drive" functions well, where as "Removeable" doesn't. Now you're able to use 68K as well as Amiga OS PPC 4.1.1..

I might make a guide. Currently, it's a sweet bit of hardware. I haven't had any problems since using these settings. Only used PSF3. It's kicking butt over V5.
I've had a similar experience with the BPPC SCSI. I get corruption (during writes) if sync mode is on (I use unitcontrol to switch it on/off for testing). I'm using PFS3 too, format partition, copy a load of files to it and then diskvalid instantly shows various errors. Repeat in async mode and it appears to work fine (no errors), but is slower obviously.

Haven't found a way to use synchronous mode reliably and it looks like a problem with SCSI2SD v6, as synchronous mode works fine with my SCSI HDD.