English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 03 February 2016, 00:34   #261
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Let me know when you find the exact version, I'm not having issues like that emulated but I am on real hardware.

Are you tapping or long-holding the buttons?

Edit: Have you tried mapping them to something other than shoulders, say green and yellow? Also which version of CD32load are you using?
Ok will find out tomorrow.
Tried tapping and holding, just zooms right it or right out, no small steps.
I havent tried other buttons yet as i was getting too tired, will try tomorrow, cd32load was 0.6 i think.
Old 03 February 2016, 00:36   #262
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Ok will find out tomorrow.
Tried tapping and holding, just zooms right it or right out, no small steps.
I havent tried other buttons yet as i was getting too tired, will try tomorrow, cd32load was 0.6 i think.
Fair enough! try the latest (0.13 beta in the zone), I think there have been a few fixes to keyboard handling since then.
Old 03 February 2016, 05:59   #263
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

I can't believe I am discovering this thread only now. This seems to be a fantastic piece of work which makes me regret not to have brought my CD32 back from my parents's place last month.

@jotd, since this now seems to work on a non CD32 Amiga is the plan to more or less supplant WHDLoad as time goes?
Old 03 February 2016, 10:54   #264
earok

I've merged my changes into CD32Load 13 beta, including some further fixes for Virtual Keyboard, and zoned it.

The delay between key/up down events is greater so it no longer "sticks" in Zeewolf real HW. While it takes longer to enter a password, you can also just hold down rather than tap.

Still doesn't work on Desert Strike (real HW) at all, even though it works in WinUAE fine :S. I'll abandon it for now.
Old 03 February 2016, 19:08   #265
Amigajay

Quote:
I've merged my changes into CD32Load 13 beta, including some further fixes for Virtual Keyboard, and zoned it.

The delay between key/up down events is greater so it no longer "sticks" in Zeewolf real HW. While it takes longer to enter a password, you can also just hold down rather than tap.

Still doesn't work on Desert Strike (real HW) at all, even though it works in WinUAE fine :S. I'll abandon it for now.
Thanks tried the new version, both the cursor keys are mapped fine and dont freeze and the virtual keyboard appears now, cheers!

Btw whats the command line for the virtual mouse earok?

Last edited by Amigajay; 03 February 2016 at 20:08.
Old 03 February 2016, 21:23   #266
earok

Quote:
Thanks tried the new version, both the cursor keys are mapped fine and dont freeze and the virtual keyboard appears now, cheers!

Btw whats the command line for the virtual mouse earok?
I think the docs are in jotd's previous upload, but in brief

Joypad=1 is a required switch (plus you need your joypad in the mouse port)
Vm=[delay] where delay is a number from 0 upwards, the higher the number the slower the cursor, this is required
Vmmodifybut=[modify] where the value is a joypad code like $11 for play. Hold down this button to move the cursor at a different rate. Optional.
Vmmodifydelay=[delay] alternative delay setting for when the modify button is down
Old 03 February 2016, 22:59   #267
jotd
This cat is no more

@readonlycat: this won't replace whdload on a big Amiga with fastmem.
But on a vanilla system with only 2MB and a FFS HD, CD32Load is the only option to be able to run whdload slaves without OS-flashing, and acceptable loading times.

@akira: note that in the next versions you can use IDEHD and DISKUNIT=1 to specify the 2nd IDE drive, that can be a game-dedicated FFS formatted drive, even if the first IDE drive is a PFS/SFS.

@earok: now I have fixed the RN decruncher: Moonstone is getting nearer, and Rodland works. Unreal (old slave) works. New slave needs too much mem, but with Psygore CD loader that could change (but I will still have to use RN loader for hard-drive configurations)
Psygore CD loader could help us to overcome the CD directory limit that is random and annoying.
Old 03 February 2016, 23:03   #268
Amigajay

Quote:
I think the docs are in jotd's previous upload, but in brief

Joypad=1 is a required switch (plus you need your joypad in the mouse port)
Vm=[delay] where delay is a number from 0 upwards, the higher the number the slower the cursor, this is required
Vmmodifybut=[modify] where the value is a joypad code like $11 for play. Hold down this button to move the cursor at a different rate. Optional.
Vmmodifydelay=[delay] alternative delay setting for when the modify button is down
Ah ok, so there's no chance of assigning a button to enable a virtual mouse in the joypad port at a press of a button, and again to disable it?

If not I'll leave the virtual mouse option as i guess there is just as much chance of someone owning a mouse as there is 2 joypads.
Old 03 February 2016, 23:10   #269
earok

Quote:
Ah ok, so there's no chance of assigning a button to enable a virtual mouse in the joypad port at a press of a button, and again to disable it?

If not I'll leave the virtual mouse option as i guess there is just as much chance of someone owning a mouse as there is 2 joypads.
Sorry, I forgot to mention - the virtual mouse won't enable until you've pressed a CD32 pad only button. This will allow you to use a regular mouse still, but if you prove that you have a CD32 pad in that port by pressing, say, "play", then it'll activate virtual mouse.
Old 03 February 2016, 23:48   #270
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
@earok: now I have fixed the RN decruncher: Moonstone is getting nearer, and Rodland works. Unreal (old slave) works. New slave needs too much mem, but with Psygore CD loader that could change (but I will still have to use RN loader for hard-drive configurations)
Psygore CD loader could help us to overcome the CD directory limit that is random and annoying.
That all sounds amazing great work
Old 04 February 2016, 00:04   #271
Amigajay

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention - the virtual mouse won't enable until you've pressed a CD32 pad only button. This will allow you to use a regular mouse still, but if you prove that you have a CD32 pad in that port by pressing, say, "play", then it'll activate virtual mouse.
Yeah sorry i understood that, i meant have it all on one joypad, i.e use the dpad as normal then press a button to enable the virtual mouse to select something and press again to disable, but what your saying is you can only map it to a joypad in the mouse port.
Old 04 February 2016, 00:21   #272
earok

Quote:
Yeah sorry i understood that, i meant have it all on one joypad, i.e use the dpad as normal then press a button to enable the virtual mouse to select something and press again to disable, but what your saying is you can only map it to a joypad in the mouse port.
Ah right, that would be a good idea - the only real complication with that is that from my limited testing (with Lemmings) I found that I couldn't activate the right mouse button from a gamepad in port 2, the reason being that game in particular was writing to the "POTGO" register, so it was overwriting my efforts to activate right mouse button. I don't know how many games would have that issue but I suspect many of them would. Using left mouse button and moving the cursor wasn't an issue from port 2.

What I could do is, as you've suggested, add a button toggle that can be used on the gamepad in port two. The caveats with this would be:
- No guaranteed right mouse button support (might work sometimes)
- Gamepad in port two would continue operating as normal (ie you'd control both the gamepad port 2 direction and mouse port 1 cursor), I can't prevent this. So say, "Walker" as a hypothetical example, you'd be moving both the cursor and the robot at the same time from the same pad.
Old 04 February 2016, 00:31   #273
Amigajay

Quote:
Ah right, that would be a good idea - the only real complication with that is that from my limited testing (with Lemmings) I found that I couldn't activate the right mouse button from a gamepad in port 2, the reason being that game in particular was writing to the "POTGO" register, so it was overwriting my efforts to activate right mouse button. I don't know how many games would have that issue but I suspect many of them would. Using left mouse button and moving the cursor wasn't an issue from port 2.

What I could do is, as you've suggested, add a button toggle that can be used on the gamepad in port two. The caveats with this would be:
- No guaranteed right mouse button support (might work sometimes)
- Gamepad in port two would continue operating as normal (ie you'd control both the gamepad port 2 direction and mouse port 1 cursor), I can't prevent this. So say, "Walker" as a hypothetical example, you'd be moving both the cursor and the robot at the same time from the same pad.
Yeah for sure it wouldnt work for alot of games, but some it may well be enough, im pretty sure you dont need the right mouse button in Hunter, plus the game movement pauses as you bring up the inventory anyway, so only the mouse movement would be recorded at that time, so for this game i think (well with testing of course) it may be good, worth a try anyway.
Old 04 February 2016, 00:35   #274
earok

Quote:
Yeah for sure it wouldnt work for alot of games, but some it may well be enough, im pretty sure you dont need the right mouse button in Hunter, plus the game movement pauses as you bring up the inventory anyway, so only the mouse movement would be recorded at that time, so for this game i think (well with testing of course) it may be good, worth a try anyway.
I'll see if I can get something working with Hunter.
Old 04 February 2016, 02:28   #275
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
@readonlycat: this won't replace whdload on a big Amiga with fastmem.
But on a vanilla system with only 2MB and a FFS HD, CD32Load is the only option to be able to run whdload slaves without OS-flashing, and acceptable loading times.
Oki, so its advantage resides essentially in the small memory footprint which allows to preload everything to avoid OS flashes? (Sorry if I am restating the obvious, I just skimmed through the entire thread yesterday evening while my neutrons were screaming "go to bed!" in unison ).

I was asking because I had offered in another thread to add input remapping support to WHDLoad but since CD32Load already has it and would support FFS hard drives then the interest to extend WHDLoad any further seems lower as it would seem natural for CD32Load to gradually take its place on low memory systems.
Old 04 February 2016, 02:34   #276
Amiga1992

Quote:
@akira: note that in the next versions you can use IDEHD and DISKUNIT=1 to specify the 2nd IDE drive, that can be a game-dedicated FFS formatted drive, even if the first IDE drive is a PFS/SFS.
But that would be a physical drive? Or the second partition?
Still, FFS has so many problems, I wouldn't want to use it.
I mainly want this for CD32 anyway, so, no problems
Old 04 February 2016, 13:19   #277
SolderPCB

Has anyone tested Lotus III with CD32Load
Old 05 February 2016, 00:42   #278
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolderPCB View Post
Has anyone tested Lotus III with CD32Load
I tested it a long time ago, hopefully it'll still work with the latest.
Old 05 February 2016, 10:30   #279
earok

I've just posted another update to my CD32Load mods, this time an extensive update to virtual mouse (can be turned on and off, also can be used in port 2 but with limited support eg right button might not function).

@AmigaJay I hope this works with Hunter if not I'll take a look
Old 05 February 2016, 11:03   #280
Amigajay

Quote:
I've just posted another update to my CD32Load mods, this time an extensive update to virtual mouse (can be turned on and off, also can be used in port 2 but with limited support eg right button might not function).

@AmigaJay I hope this works with Hunter if not I'll take a look
Awesome work as always! I'll have a look later when i get home and let you know