English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 December 2017, 05:25   #61
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBill View Post
I play TimeGal on my NTSC A1200 by holding down both mouse buttons on boot and booting to PAL display mode. Works perfectly. But there are different methods depending on what machine and chipset you have
Thanks. I'm playing on a CD32 + sx1, but for some reason it seems like switching to PAL mode on startup does nothing. Workbench loads (using ClassicWB 3.1 with res set to DBLPAL), and when I run the game, the beginning screen is corrupted, and the game screen is off balance vertically. The reason I suspect it's a PAL/NTSC issue is that I get the same problems when I boot the CF card in WinUAE in NTSC mode, but if I switch it to PAL it plays fine.
Old 04 December 2017, 10:55   #62
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
using ClassicWB 3.1 with res set to DBLPAL

Isn't it just problem by forcing "double" mode for game? There were many games, which had problems with double PAL/NTSC screen modes. Graphics were messy and only "forcing" game to use "normal" PAL/NTSC modes helped.

To check this, just switch WB screen to "normal" PAL and try to run game. If it helps, then it's "just" normal problem with double mode.

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 04 December 2017 at 11:03.
Old 05 December 2017, 03:32   #63
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Isn't it just problem by forcing "double" mode for game? There were many games, which had problems with double PAL/NTSC screen modes. Graphics were messy and only "forcing" game to use "normal" PAL/NTSC modes helped.

To check this, just switch WB screen to "normal" PAL and try to run game. If it helps, then it's "just" normal problem with double mode.
Tried it with PAL Hires and PAL Lores after switching to PAL with both mouse buttons. Both give me the same graphical glitches. I would assume maybe a file was corrupted, but it plays fine off the same drive in WinUAE. It doesn't like my hardware for some reason.
Old 08 December 2017, 01:50   #64
ruinashiro

Just have to say this is awesome.

Space Ace on my A500 was one of the most mesmerizing things I had ever seen at that point, but if it had been done this way instead, my god. Too bad I guess no one would have had the storage requirements for it back then.

Really great job.
Old 09 December 2017, 18:13   #65
Ragnarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruinashiro View Post
Just have to say this is awesome.

Space Ace on my A500 was one of the most mesmerizing things I had ever seen at that point, but if it had been done this way instead, my god. Too bad I guess no one would have had the storage requirements for it back then.

Really great job.
I was just going to say the same. When I was just a kid and my father bought me Space Ace as a gift for my birthday I was blown out.

I've to say that when I was younger I liked this kind of games and was passionate about intros and ending credits animations.

I've played the whole Time Gal game with my Amiga 500 (with an ACA500+) and has worked wonderfully well!

Marvelous work that I wouldn't have thought possible for my beloved machine.

Last edited by Ragnarok; 09 December 2017 at 18:18. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 09 December 2017, 23:40   #66
earok

Thanks @ruinashiro and @ragnarok, I really appreciate the kind words
Old 25 January 2018, 01:08   #67
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Just discovered this thread and Whaouuuuuu ! Never heard of "Time Gal" before, so what's a nice surprise .

I discovered dragon's Lair on the C64, and straight away liked the character (Dirk). Then, on the Amiga, I enjoyed and finished all Dragon's Lair, Space Ace and Guy Spy games. Also finished the arcade version of Dragon's Lair and played the DVD version (with the remote control ).

I did not gave a try to your work (just red the thread) but the video are really amazing and the comments makes me want to try it !
Will check again the thread, download it and set a config on FS-UAE to test it for sure !!

I have seen that a lot of people are wishing for a Dragon's Lair port. Even if I would enjoy a new version on Amiga, it could be interesting if the port of another laser disk game was possible ?

I have only heard about this other game so never played it. This game is called "Cliff Hanger" and use Lupin III as the main character.
Old 25 January 2018, 01:28   #68
DamienD
Banned

It's all ready to go in my WinUAE collection, which you now have malko

...but yes; earok has done some super fine work here as per; breaking boundries!!!
Old 25 January 2018, 01:49   #69
earok

Cheers guys, I appreciate it

Dragon's Lair is a game I've had multiple requests for a port of, but I have to decline on the grounds that it's a well known game with actively exploited IP (the upcoming film, Steam release etc). I'm also not a huge fan of the game, so far as FMV titles go I'm more keen on Road Avenger and Braindead 13.

The original Amiga version isn't that bad though, right? As I understand it you can combine it with Singe's Castle to get every scene from the arcade edition and onscreen instructions.
Old 25 January 2018, 09:24   #70
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
It's all ready to go in my WinUAE collection, which you now have malko
So I definitively have to free some space on my poor HD to set up your wonderful collection. Hopefully I was able to download it and realised after that I was missing space .

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
The original Amiga version isn't that bad though, right? As I understand it you can combine it with Singe's Castle to get every scene from the arcade edition and onscreen instructions.
In my opinion it is really good indeed.
That's the reason I was wishing for another port first .

Quote:
I'm more keen on Road Avenger and Braindead 13.
Feel free, I'm sure nobody will complain .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HD.png
Views:	150
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	56403  
Old 05 February 2018, 04:46   #71
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Feel free, I'm sure nobody will complain .
I certainly hope not

I decided just to go ahead and do Road Avenger since it's been a pipedream of mine for years, and it only really took me the weekend to get the complete game (all nine levels) ported to the Time Gal engine.

Road Avenger for Amiga is making it's public debut on AmigaBill's channel on Tuesday - though there'll be a period where it's in closed beta before being released to the broader public (Tsak has some nice ideas for making it really sparkle, but it'll take a bit of time for that side of it to come to fruition, especially since the team still has AlarCity and Worthy as priorities)

https://www.twitch.tv/events/KhpfAZx0SaeGjis5zbM_DA
Old 05 February 2018, 09:06   #72
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

hello earok,
what would you think to try to make an fmv version for the cd32 ??
Old 05 February 2018, 09:14   #73
earok

I don't know enough about the FMV card and I don't own one myself. Maybe if they were more common or there was a third party solution, I'd look into it.

It would be cool to see virtually arcade perfect ports of laserdisc games though.
Old 05 February 2018, 13:43   #74
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

I think you should have a look to the CD32_demodisc_2.0...
Look at the script inside the cd (joint attach).
Perhaps it's too easy to be true but it seems they just give the track number of the video to cdmpeg (cd0:demos\bin\).
My version of the cd is : DemoV2_23b
It was packed with the amiga cd32 when i bought it.
You should have a look it seems everything is in this cd to understand how to make it work.
ps: cannon fodder did it the same way, it seems that you just need cdmeg tool nothing else !!!
should be cool to have litil divil with the cdi intro !!! Or flink with the megadrive intro in fmv, etc etc...
Old 06 February 2018, 00:08   #75
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
I certainly hope not
For sure not .

Quote:
I decided just to go ahead and do Road Avenger since it's been a pipedream of mine for years [...]
It's Christmas everyday on EAB actually !

Quote:
Road Avenger for Amiga is making it's public debut on AmigaBill's channel on Tuesday - though there'll be a period where it's in closed beta before being released to the broader public [...]
Sad that the hardware in my possession right now does not allow me to apply for the closed beta test... .
Anyway, thank you earok !
Old 18 February 2018, 19:28   #76
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Just curious...
How is the closed beta phase going ?
Old 19 February 2018, 01:57   #77
earok

Not much to report yet! It's OK if you want to join the Road Avenger closed beta - regardless of what hardware you have for playing Amiga games, let me know and I'll send you the Workbench and CD32 images.
Old 19 February 2018, 16:56   #78
nujack
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
Perhaps it's too easy to be true but it seems they just give the track number of the video to cdmpeg (cd0:demos\bin\).
should be cool to have litil divil with the cdi intro !!! Or flink with the megadrive intro in fmv, etc etc...
100 percent agreement. Would be nice to have support for FMV-module. I would be able to test it.
And yes with the cdmpeg.device you get access to a video-track. Question is, how we get the tracks converted(PAL/NTSC) and how is the control-method implemented in the program.
Old 24 March 2018, 09:51   #79
Lum

I'm not too familiar with this game or genre, but it's great to see thoroughly anime projects on the Amiga.

Of course some of you probably connected the dots with my username that I'm a Urusei Yatsura fan.
Old 24 March 2018, 22:32   #80
Sandancer

Cool thank you remember playing the original