English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 25 January 2018, 19:15   #1
Sui_Generis

Hello to all from Cambridge, UK!

Hey everyone

Just signed up to the board, I guess I should throw out some of my Amiga history.

Wanted an Amiga 1200 as a kid. Never got one. Brought one as teenager (MagicPack), never did anything with it. Put it in to storage, forgot about it. Currently working in IT and have been for nearly 12 years now, which brings us up to present day.

Having spent 12+ years working with Windows XP/Vista/7/10 (very proud to say I managed to avoid 8 compltely), varying flavors of Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, #!, BunsenLabs, ElementaryOS) and a few different iterations of Mac OSX (10.3 and above, mostly), I finally got bored with the modern OS and hardware, that's where you lot come in!

A few days ago I dug the old girl (MagicPack A1200) out of storage & decided I would like to finally get around to using it as it was intended, a full computer. However, I'm a good portion of clueless so...bare with me!

The only thing I remember doing with the A1200 is swapping out the original hard drive for a 4GB compact flash card in an adapter and I THINK I brought a Blizzard accelerator (1230IV) for it, but then read you can't use the standard black power brick with accelerators because they use more power, and they are really only designed for toweredised Ami's.

And, that's where I'm at! Really looking forward to getting back into using a computer with some personality to it again!

Sui
Old 25 January 2018, 19:23   #2
chip

Welcome on the forum Sui_Generis

You will surely find all you need here .... just don't ask for a girlfriend
Old 25 January 2018, 21:07   #3
MikeyG

Welcome Sui to the forums.

Workbench was quite advanced I think for it's time. With a wide range of OS knowledge you'll pick it up in no time. Handy things like a RAM disk to use as a temp folder is an Amiga thing that I wish other modern OS would adopt rather than a Downloads folder that grows out of control and gets cleared every now and then.
If you have CF card already and looking for an easy introduction into Workbench I can recommend ClassicWB Lite version, its a nice mixture of old and new.
Have fun!
Old 25 January 2018, 21:24   #4
AwoLStill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_Generis View Post
Having spent 12+ years working with Windows XP/Vista/7/10 (very proud to say I managed to avoid 8 compltely), varying flavors of Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, #!, BunsenLabs, ElementaryOS) and a few different iterations of Mac OSX (10.3 and above, mostly), I finally got bored with the modern OS and hardware, that's where you lot come in!
I understand where you are coming from, I'm the wrong side of 20+ years working in I.T., but I was lucky enought to share an A500 with my brother back in the 80's, before it became mine.

Some things on an Amiga can feel slow, but if your Amiga has been in storage for a long time I strongly suggest getting the capacitors checked, and probably replaced. If they haven't leaked already, they might leak soon, and this can cause all manner of issues including an untimely death.

I have an Amiga 1200, but at a friends. Can't wait to get it back.

oh, and if you are ever looking for the "home" or "end" key, hold down shift and tap the relevant cursor key...