English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 December 2009, 05:43   #1
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Capacitor Replacement Service

Greetings,
At the beginning of next year, I will be setting up my own company and a part of that will be replacement / repair of Amiga hardware. Prices have not been absolutely finalised, but I think somewhere in the order of $1.90 AUD per capacitor replacement including GST and individual quotes on everything else. I will soon be purchasing a Metcal soldering station, with ultra fine tips, I've just procured dentals picks and will be getting speciality tips for removing QFP and PLCC chips. I do plan to make this a part of my business, but it's not the only part and I would be happy to help out with any inquiries.

Bits and pieces can be brought to me directly, or I can pick things up if required, I live in Mornington, Victoria.

Paul
Old 02 December 2009, 06:42   #2
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Do you do ppc-processor upgrades too ?
Old 02 December 2009, 07:15   #3
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
Do you do ppc-processor upgrades too ?
Anything short of BGA I can do, not interested in BGA whatsoever.

Paul
Old 02 December 2009, 10:31   #4
chiark
Needs a life

Gah! You're on the wrong side of the world! You lot have already got Anthony Hoffman over there.

Move up to England, with our great climate, politicians and attitude to life! Who'd want to live in Australia ?

(For the humour impaired, this is humour)
Old 02 December 2009, 13:02   #5
Photon

I must say the way you worded that, Australia seems the more attractive isle to move to... or maybe I already thought so
Old 02 December 2009, 13:11   #6
chiark
Needs a life

Utterly wrong, Photon. Australia may have beaches, the weather, all that stuff, but we've got Blackpool. And Peter Mandelson.

I rest my case.
Old 02 December 2009, 13:29   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You forgot to mention we've highest teenage pregnancy rate in the western world (read into that what you will)
Old 02 December 2009, 14:48   #8
chiark
Needs a life

Good point! Soon we'll not only have Loedown applying, but the Hoff wil be coming too.
Old 02 December 2009, 20:06   #9
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Good point! Soon we'll not only have Loedown applying, but the Hoff wil be coming too.
I'm no longer in my teenage years, so I won't become a statistic, besides, I like it here and don't plan on shifting anywhere anytime soon.

Paul
Old 03 December 2009, 10:04   #10
Cammy

Heya Paul, this is a great idea! I'd love to be your first customer, I have a whole bunch of Amiga motherboards that need their capacitors replaced, and I really REALLY want to use them! Are you able to perform any other handy Amiga surgery, like replacing old exploded A2000 batteries with newer types, and maybe reviving them or replacing busted chips? I have two A2000 motherboards here that seem to have died since their batteries exploded, but I'd love to have those working again. If you were unable to fix the problem because it's something unrepairable I'd understand, but I have no chance of repairing them myself, so they're just going to sit there forever collecting dust unless someone has a go at fixing them. The main Amigas I need repairs done on are a few A1200s and two CD32s, all of which definitely have capacitor problems, and maybe more wrong too (hopefully not).

You know, last week I would have been even more desperate for a capacitor change in my A1200. It's been pretty much silent for a long time now, you have to boost the volume up to 100% just to hear a hissy, barely audible sound from it. But then the strangest thing happened.

Last full moon, my Amiga 1200 miraculously started playing music again. The capacitors have become undead it seems, and the music sounds just as good as the day it came out. But it does have a nasty drawback, the right mouse button and second fire button on both ports don't work anymore. When pressing them, they make the speakers pop. So although I can finally use my own A1200 for testing games like Tracker Hero with sound now, I can't play the game with a pad because only the red button works, and it needs all four face buttons. Luckily it has keyboard controls too.

Anyway, although you still haven't got everything set up yet, would it be okay to bundle up all my faulty Amiga motherboards and send them down some time?

Thanks!