English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 December 2012, 05:10   #1
Leandro Jardim

Sites with programs written in BASIC

Hi friends,

Does anyone know of some website specialized in collecting programs written in BASIC, for old computers, for historic purposes for example?

Would be a very bad thing if we lose all the history of the personal computers in general.

I am asking this because I *love* BASIC, only to say. The language was very fun.

Say what you found about it or even if you like BASIC too...
Old 23 December 2012, 10:42   #2
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I love BASIC! Have programmed in other languages but nothing I've used has that "leave for years and still understand it" readability. I use it because it gets what I need done.

Most of my releases have been written in Blitz Basic either for Amiga or PC so far.

There's a disc image of some Sam Coupe stuff I did in 1991/92 which contains finished and unfinished BASIC proggys. http://coagulus.newport.net/c1/bin/robstuff.zip

Works on SAM emulators.
Old 23 December 2012, 11:03   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

http://www.atarimania.com have many Atari 8-bit games in .bas format. You need to load them from virtual hard drive when using emulator. Most of them you can view by typing list command in Basic. There is also Antic Software Archive with Basic games and demos http://www.atarimagazines.com/software/software.html
Old 23 December 2012, 13:10   #4
spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post
There's a disc image of some Sam Coupe stuff I did in 1991/92 which contains finished and unfinished BASIC proggys. http://coagulus.newport.net/c1/bin/robstuff.zip

Works on SAM emulators.
You've got an excellent teletext simulator on there
Old 23 December 2012, 13:24   #5
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
You've got an excellent teletext simulator on there
Wish I'd finished it, but it has the feel of it!
Old 23 December 2012, 14:23   #6
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

There was a good few Basic versions on the amiga, might be nice to see them and stuff done with them collected somewhere.

The only real collection of basic stuff for amiga I can think of is aminet.

Did anyone ever use ABasic
Old 23 December 2012, 15:48   #7
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Blitz and Amos is sure to have loads of code lying around out there. The Aminet has a fair bit too. I'd like to see it all in one place for sure, makes my coding easier then!
Old 23 December 2012, 19:18   #8
Leandro Jardim

@Coagulus: thanks, I downloaded it! Hey what nice computer the SAM Coupé!

@discomeats: I did not used it but there is a nice paint program written in ABasiC, makes me think that it could do if it were finished completely. Complete with buttons and palette selector, all written in pure BASIC!

Where in the decade that we are, we could turn on a computer and start to programming it immediately with a super easy language, complete with graphics, sound and without the need to initialize all that? Today it is nearly impossible with the software that we have.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 23 December 2012 at 19:34.
Old 23 December 2012, 19:33   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

There was old, polish magazine 'Atari Secrets' with single page in each number titled '5 lines'. They showed there some amazing things in Basic and it was possible to win small prizes if your Basic program sended to them was good enough. http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collectio...i/91-04/31.jpg
There was also 'Radio-Computer' - it was possible to record on tape radio signal and load that data to computer - small, simple games and demos.
Old 23 December 2012, 19:47   #10
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
There was old, polish magazine 'Atari Secrets' with single page in each number titled '5 lines'. They showed there some amazing things in Basic and it was possible to win small prizes if your Basic program sended to them was good enough. http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collectio...i/91-04/31.jpg
There was also 'Radio-Computer' - it was possible to record on tape radio signal and load that data to computer - small, simple games and demos.
I never seen something like that 5 lines in the magazines that I had. Nice idea to win more contributions that prizes.

I had some few magazines with BASIC code, but there was not prizes, wish if I had bought more of them. Its name was "Micro-Sistemas" (Micro-Systems), it was very popular at that time.

I know that ATARI had some very nice ideas to popularize its computer and create a community of BASIC programmers with its ATARI 800 range. Imagine how cool would be to participate in a community like this if it were today with the Internet.

I think for example, in something like a community where every one when have a necessity write its own software at house and shares them. Like in the old good times.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 23 December 2012 at 21:14.
Old 23 December 2012, 20:16   #11
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
@Coagulus: thanks, I downloaded it! Hey what nice computer the SAM Coupé!
I loved it, wish I hadn't given it away. There's always emulation but the keyboard was lovely and I miss that.

Quote:
Where in the decade that we are, we could turn on a computer and start to programming it immediately with a super easy language, complete with graphics, sound and without the need to initialize all that? Today it is nearly impossible with the software that we have.
That's why I've bought a Raspberry Pi and put RISC OS on it, boots in 10 seconds and built in BBC Basic!
Old 23 December 2012, 21:09   #12
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post
That's why I've bought a Raspberry Pi and put RISC OS on it, boots in 10 seconds and built in BBC Basic!
Thats a great idea, but I know very little about the Raspberry Pi.
Old 23 December 2012, 21:13   #13
lesta_smsc

I was considering getting the Raspberry Pi but there's various different types according to eBay so not sure which one to go for or roughly what to expect to pay for each.
Old 23 December 2012, 21:17   #14
Leandro Jardim

But I am not sure, the Raspberry Pi comes without a box to put it inside, no? There is a way to buy such a box for it? I read horrendous things like building a box for it with paper... Its a strange way to make origami!
Old 23 December 2012, 21:24   #15
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
But I am not sure, the Raspberry Pi comes without a box to put it inside, no? There is a way to buy such a box for it? I read horrendous things like building a box for it with paper... Its a strange way to make origami!
I saw the paper box you could print off. I bought the PI and a box for £45 on Amazon. There are many boxes to buy. RISC OS was just the case of writing the image to a 2GB SD card and putting it in the Pi, I did luck out as my wireless keyboard and mouse worked straight away. And I got net by bridging my laptop.

The desktop is so fast and smooth.

(ps it's a model B with 512MB of ram, much more than enough for RISC OS)
Old 23 December 2012, 21:25   #16
BippyM
Global Moderator

slightly off-topic but BlitzPlus is currently free..

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Products/_index_.php
Old 23 December 2012, 21:52   #17
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
slightly off-topic but BlitzPlus is currently free..
Its off-topic but very useful...

Oh my God, I was needing a BASIC language to make prototyping before I continue my project in C! This is ABSOLUTELY wonderful!

Thank you, it will be extremely important for me. You should beep more for us!

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 23 December 2012 at 22:24.
Old 24 December 2012, 00:01   #18
Leandro Jardim

One new thing, how does that I could insert quotes after the PRINT keyword in the SAM Coupé? I am using the keyboard layout of SimCoupe.

And, what is the best SAM Coupé emulator for Windows 7, other than SimCoupe (albeit SimCoupe itself is very good)?

@s2325: Thanks for the links. And I always would like to say, that your knowledge about old games are remarkable. Too should be your game library, I suppose!

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 24 December 2012 at 00:26.
Old 24 December 2012, 00:09   #19
s2325
Zone Friend

Some of games and demos from Antic Software Archive were recorded and uploaded to youtube. Please don't expect much from type-in titles. You can recognize them by running from harddrive (drive H:), not tape or disk drive.
Old 24 December 2012, 00:28   #20
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
One new thing, how does that I could insert quotes after the PRINT keyword in the SAM Coupé? I am using the keyboard layout of SimCoupe.
Hmm, it's shift and 2 on my keyboard.

Quote:
And, what is the best SAM Coupé emulator for Windows 7, other than SimCoupe (albeit SimCoupe itself is very good)?
Apart from SimCoupe, the only other one I know of is MESS but I've not tried it yet.