English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 08 October 2011, 11:43   #1
roy bates

PCMCIA extender for tower projects.

i have had a little toy with the idea of making a pcmcia extender so i can still use the socket on the outside of a case.

it dident work.so here i am asking if theres a cable lengh you get to before this becomes impossible,i made mine 20cm long.its a straight passthrough cable connected to a pcmcia socket with eject button.that fits an empty slot in the back of tower conversions.

last week having gone through a box full of junk(as you do)i found this abandoned project and thought i would give it another shot.

bare in mind the cable cant be less than 15cm long or it wont reach the back slots.

regards roy.
Old 10 October 2011, 00:25   #2
orange

I think cable is a bad idea, because its flexible, so the interference depends on its shape.

I've used the extender from amigakit. however it has some drawbacks.
Old 10 October 2011, 08:57   #3
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
I think cable is a bad idea, because its flexible, so the interference depends on its shape.

I've used the extender from amigakit. however it has some drawbacks.

which extender is that?are you talking about a right angle adaptor?,i have seen that one.
yes i do beleive there is crosstalk where the cables are conserned.thats why i abandoned it.

i did see a refrence to an extender you could buy that was mensioned on eab in a thread.but the price was 200 dollars.

Last edited by roy bates; 10 October 2011 at 09:11.
Old 10 October 2011, 16:53   #4
orange

ah, yes i bought right angle adapter from amigakit. the design is very bad, because with pcmcia card its too wide for the case $%#$%!. had to butcher the connector so it could barely fit.

extender would be more complex, but 200$ is really too much.

what for do you plan to use extended pcmcia?
Old 10 October 2011, 22:00   #5
roy bates

origanaly it was to put the pcmcia socket on the back of a tower conversion,so i could use an adf transfer kit without opening the tower evry time to use it.

it felt like a good idea at the time but when it dident work i put it in a box and forgot about it.
today ive shortened the cable to 15cm.cant test it at the moment though,too much on until the weekend.

oh it only cost me about 20 pounds to make(8 months ago),so its no big deal. i was just curios to see if it was possible.
Old 10 October 2011, 22:57   #6
clauddio
Banned

another way to solve pcmcia in A1200 towers is making a thin hole in the upper side of the cabinet...of course then you insert pcmcia cards from the upper side
I did it using a grinder and a thin disk
Old 11 October 2011, 10:27   #7
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by clauddio View Post
another way to solve pcmcia in A1200 towers is making a thin hole in the upper side of the cabinet...of course then you insert pcmcia cards from the upper side
I did it using a grinder and a thin disk
this wont work on mine or most tower conversions as the slot is in the bottom of the case.

i.e:-powertowers,most old eyetech models z4's,d-box1200,etc

i suppose its one way.if your sourcing your own tower the problem with your suggestion is that later on if you want to have a busboard in there you will have serius problems getting it work in that config.as the motherboard will be upside down.and facing into the tower.

personaly i dont want an 1200 accelorator in a tower hanging upside down.
in any tower.(seeing as this is the most expensive part in the system)but thanks anyway.

roy.