English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 August 2004, 07:55   #1
theolog

Running WinUAE in a window

I've had hours of game time running WinUAE in full screen mode with no troubles (well, not once I found out the various configuration parameters to work with the games). Recently I thought I'd run WinUAE in a window because I wanted to keep an eye what was happening in the background on my PC but I couldn't get it to work.

Sound works and programs seem to load (given that music changes when it is supposed to) but the display is just a black area in the window. I have tried running only WinUAE and running it as a simple A500 (which I am assuming is the easiest format to emulate), without inserting any floppies so I expect to see the old hand and disk, but instead I get the same result - a black area in the window where the Amiga screen should be.

I have tried using older versions of WinUAE and I have hit the "Detect pixel format" many, many times (why doesn't it tell you if it has been successful or not? For me, the screen just goes blank and then the GUI reappears, so I assume it worked!).

I'm running Windows XP with DirectX9.0. Any suggestions?

thanks

Old 26 August 2004, 10:02   #2
Nyarlathotep
Zone Friend

I don't have any problem with XP-DX9.
Are you using graphic filters?
Try do deactivate them.
Old 26 August 2004, 12:22   #3
Days_of_Amiga

Hi its really great you can talk about the parameters of Winuae but can someone please help me how the f**k can i install something that runs Amiga games on my PC and where do i get the Amiga games from?

I never known such a disabled system where getting Amiga games to run on PC was so illusive. Even when i go to the Winuae website they don't even tell me that these programs are for running Amiga games and they don't tell me once i intall it what do i do or even how to install it?

Old 26 August 2004, 13:42   #4
BenniP
?

Well the "problem" with the amiga is, that most of the os stuff and most games are under current copyrights. So the WinUAE site can't tell you where to download it.

For the game thing, check this FAQ from abime.net.
Old 26 August 2004, 14:56   #5
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Days_of_Amiga
Hi its really great you can talk about the parameters of Winuae but can someone please help me how the f**k can i install something that runs Amiga games on my PC and where do i get the Amiga games from?

I never known such a disabled system where getting Amiga games to run on PC was so illusive. Even when i go to the Winuae website they don't even tell me that these programs are for running Amiga games and they don't tell me once i intall it what do i do or even how to install it?
Stop spamming. Your post has nothing to do with the current thread, please create a new one or go read "Emulators for dummies".
Old 27 August 2004, 05:04   #6
theolog

Thank you - perhaps we could continue with the original thread?

I have been able to get WinUAE to run in a window on a friend's laptop (running W2K and DX8.1), but still no luck with my own machine. I just tried it again and WinUAE crashed and left a dumpfile on my computer.

I don't think I've got any graphic filters turned on, but I don't know how to find out! I wouldn't mind knowing about graphics filters and how I can find out if they're turned on or not ...

thanks

Last edited by theolog; 27 August 2004 at 07:28. Reason: More info

Old 27 August 2004, 08:34   #7
thomas

Go to the "Filter" page and check that the "Enable" switch is off.
Old 28 August 2004, 03:53   #8
theolog

Oops - I should have guessed that "filters" referred to WinUAE and not to WinXP.

No, I haven't got any filters turned on. I just tried turning a few on to see what happens but none of them worked (some caused a crash, others gave error messages).

Any other ideas why WinUAE would work (apparently perfectly) in full screen mode and yet the display does not work in a window? The window appears and music plays (if I have a game loaded), but inside the window there are some lines and then in the middle area, where an Amiga screen should appear, there is just a black rectangle. Completely blank.

Old 28 August 2004, 10:50   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Display card model and driver version? Try ticking "Don't use RGB overlays" in misc-panel. (but only very old and broken display drivers need this) Attach winuaelog.txt and winuaebootlog.txt.
Old 29 August 2004, 06:28   #10
theolog

I tried the "Don't use RGB overlay" checkbox and that didn't work. I have attached the log files for the attempt after ticking the "Don't use RGB overlay", let me know if you were looking for the normal ones.

My graphics are integrated ones using the i810e chipset. I'm afraid I don't know a lot about it but the link below is Dell's information site on my particular desktop. I have a Pentium III 666Mhz with 256MB ram, and there are no changes to what was shipped from Dell a few years back.

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/Syst...s/ug/specs.htm

thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (5.3 KB, 254 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (4.0 KB, 228 views)

Old 29 August 2004, 08:21   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Your display driver is either lying or it is buggy..

<clip>
Sorting devices and modes..
W=1024 H=768 B=24 <- this means driver says you have 1024x768 24-bit Windows desktop.
0: 320x200, 8-bit (70)
1: 320x200, 16-bit (70)
2: 320x240, 8-bit (70)
3: 320x240, 16-bit (70)
4: 352x480, 8-bit (70)
5: 352x480, 16-bit (70)
<clip>

But driver doesn't report any 24-bit mode, only 8 and 16-bit modes..

Does WinUAE start working if you switch to 16-bit desktop?
Old 01 September 2004, 07:15   #12
theolog

Yes it does work in 16 bit mode!

How extraordinary - now I obviously have to try and find updated drivers if I want to use 24bit mode for my normal use because there is something buggy here (I just tried switching back to 24bit mode and it crashes again). So I'm off to the Dell website ...

Thanks!