English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 August 2016, 19:47   #21
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I did have problems with a CD32 pad and one of my 1D4 motherboards. With some help from people on here I eventually traced the issue to a mod I did on the board over a decade before and totally forgot about in the meantime. The mod was to increase the capacitor values on pins 5 and 9 in order to increase analogue joystick sensitivity, and had the effect of slowing down the rise/fall times on those pins. Perhaps some A1200 boards use a higher value capacitor than they should? It's the sort of thing that might not have been noticed during testing at the factory...
I'll be testing against every board that I recap from now on.
Old 18 August 2016, 12:36   #22
Daedalus

No harm Just remember though that those caps are small ceramic ones, not the normal electrolytic caps you'd normally change. They're down as 470pF on the A1200 Rev 1 schematics (and the A600), but 1000pF on the A500. I think I had changed them to 100nF on my machine, but I suspect anything over 1 or 2nF might cause issues.
Old 18 August 2017, 19:33   #23
Dougal

Hi did anyone solve this issue via software ?

I have issue with whdload and game using cd32 pad. Most do not work properly using cd32 pad (even if cd32 version).

My A1200 is an Escom with a Blizzard 1230IV and has been recapped
Old 18 August 2017, 21:44   #24
jotd
This cat is no more

"most don't work properly" ? what do you mean?

I must admit I never fully understood those pad problems. On my CD32 the pad worked fine whereas with the same game the game control failed on my A1200. Timing issues? well, possible (Bert fixed a timing issue in the CD32 joypad read routine, maybe the games you're talking about don't have the fix)
Old 30 April 2020, 19:45   #25
Dougal

Sorry to bring this up again but did anyone find a fix ? I still have the Escom A1200 and still have the issue with some games giving issues with the CD32 pad.

Current CD32 pad I am using is the Competition Pro pad for CD32.

Some examples:

Bubba and Stix CD32 version: Two button pad selected, first button works but if I press the second button to jump it goes into an "autofire" mode and the player keeps jumping and the first button stops working. Directions work fine.

Street Fighter II: Directions work fine but the fire buttons are all messed up when selecting joypad.

I have even tried these (WhdLoad) games from Tiny Launcher without going into Workbench.

There are more games with CD32 pad issues but I cannot remember which ones right now. Then some will work completely fine.
Old 01 May 2020, 12:56   #26
lilwshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
Sorry to bring this up again but did anyone find a fix ? I still have the Escom A1200 and still have the issue with some games giving issues with the CD32 pad.

Current CD32 pad I am using is the Competition Pro pad for CD32.

Some examples:

Bubba and Stix CD32 version: Two button pad selected, first button works but if I press the second button to jump it goes into an "autofire" mode and the player keeps jumping and the first button stops working. Directions work fine.

Street Fighter II: Directions work fine but the fire buttons are all messed up when selecting joypad.

I have even tried these (WhdLoad) games from Tiny Launcher without going into Workbench.

There are more games with CD32 pad issues but I cannot remember which ones right now. Then some will work completely fine.
I have had issues with certain versions of WHDLoad games with CD32 support (Virocop and Flashback are two of them) which exhibit similar issues to yours, typically resulting in no fire buttons working until the computer is restarted.

Changing to different releases of the slaves seems to resolve the issue for those games so you might want to check that if you haven't already.
Old 01 May 2020, 13:13   #27
jotd
This cat is no more

you'll have the best chances by using whdload slaves. And report in mantis if you still ahve issues. We're beginning to have a good experience of what's working and what's not working.

For instance, I fixed some slaves which worked ok on CD32 controller but not on PSX+adapter... without even having a PSX adapter but just by guessing and from cross-reports from other slaves.