English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11 January 2021, 23:51   #1
Planetinfinity
Registered User

Planetinfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mannheim
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Floppy Drive on greaseweazle

Hello,

a couple of month ago I bought a greazeweazle and two 3,5 Zoll floppy drives (Mitsumi D353M3D and Samsung SFD-321B)

According to the greaseweazle dokuwiki it should not be necessary to add power to the floppy drives in order to read a disk, but when I don't use power I don't hear any head moving or any sound when I use the gw command.

When I use a power suppy 12V and 5V (from kryoflux) the mitsumi drive led is always on and the Samsung drive does nothing.

- What should be the correct behaviour when power on such a floppy ?
- Did you power on the floppy drive or can you confirm that it should work without any power (only usb) ?

BR Planetinfinity
Planetinfinity is offline  
Old 12 January 2021, 00:15   #2
lesta_smsc
Registered User

lesta_smsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,487
My Greaseweazle is powered by USB port on laptop and in turn the Greaseweazle powers the floppy drive! No additional power is needed. I'm using Sony drive.
lesta_smsc is offline  
Old 12 January 2021, 02:19   #3
Mikerochip
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ireland
Posts: 293
Depends on the drive, and the greaseweazle.

Many drives can work ok from a bluepill GW, I imagine most drives can work fine from one of the bigger GW devices.

When you run the gw -info
does it tell you the GW device info?

Are the floppy cables themselves ok?
Mikerochip is offline  
Old 12 January 2021, 11:24   #4
Planetinfinity
Registered User

Planetinfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mannheim
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
My Greaseweazle is powered by USB port on laptop and in turn the Greaseweazle powers the floppy drive! No additional power is needed. I'm using Sony drive.
So you didn't connect anything to the floppy power connector, correct ?
Does the LED blink or do you hear the normal floppy noise when you switch on the greaseweazle ?
Planetinfinity is offline  
Old 12 January 2021, 11:27   #5
Planetinfinity
Registered User

Planetinfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mannheim
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
Depends on the drive, and the greaseweazle.

Many drives can work ok from a bluepill GW, I imagine most drives can work fine from one of the bigger GW devices.

When you run the gw -info
does it tell you the GW device info?

Are the floppy cables themselves ok?
When I run "gw info" I see the normal output like the SN the version 0.22 etc. etc. no information about the floppy drive is visible

About the floppy cable I don't know I don't have another device were I could test the cable. Is looks normal like a normal floppy drive.

I could do a photo that shows my hardware configuration.
Planetinfinity is offline  
Old 12 January 2021, 15:30   #6
lesta_smsc
Registered User

lesta_smsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetinfinity View Post
So you didn't connect anything to the floppy power connector, correct ?

Does the LED blink or do you hear the normal floppy noise when you switch on the greaseweazle ?
This is how the wiring looks for my set up.

Floppy disk drive LED works and makes the usual noise when reading / writing but only when the Greaseweazle is controlling it eg when you choose the script to read or write. Otherwise it appears not to do anything.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20191115-WA0003.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	70313
lesta_smsc is offline  
Old 12 January 2021, 16:06   #7
Planetinfinity
Registered User

Planetinfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mannheim
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Hello,

so your floppy power connector is directly connected through the greaceweazle. I don't use a power connection between the greaseweazle and the floppy therefore I used an external power supply.

Please find my picture without the external power supply attached to the floppy 4 pin connector
Click image for larger version

Name:	greaceweazle.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	943.4 KB
ID:	70316
Planetinfinity is offline  
Old 12 January 2021, 22:47   #8
lesta_smsc
Registered User

lesta_smsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,487
I use no additional power supply for the floppy disk drive. I power Greaseweazle by USB and this in turn supplies the power needed for the floppy drive. So neat and easy.

On your Greaseweazle board it has a floppy power connector.

I'm quite pleased mine doesn't need any additional power! One day I will make a neat interface but until then, the dupont connectors will suffice.
lesta_smsc is offline  
Old 13 January 2021, 20:55   #9
Planetinfinity
Registered User

Planetinfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mannheim
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I use no additional power supply for the floppy disk drive. I power Greaseweazle by USB and this in turn supplies the power needed for the floppy drive. So neat and easy.

On your Greaseweazle board it has a floppy power connector.

I'm quite pleased mine doesn't need any additional power! One day I will make a neat interface but until then, the dupont connectors will suffice.
Do you think connecting the greaceweazle power output with the floppy drive instead of my power supply does solve my issue ?

Unfortunately I don't have a 4pin to 4pin floppy disk power cable. When I look at the greaceweazle F7 v2 I see that the description for the left pin is 5V both middle pins are ground and the right is 12(NV). Do you know whether this is the same on the floppy and I should connect the greaseweazle power output with the floppy power input 1:1 ?

BR Planetinfinity
Planetinfinity is offline  
Old 13 January 2021, 23:55   #10
Mikerochip
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ireland
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetinfinity View Post
Do you think connecting the greaceweazle power output with the floppy drive instead of my power supply does solve my issue ?

Unfortunately I don't have a 4pin to 4pin floppy disk power cable. When I look at the greaceweazle F7 v2 I see that the description for the left pin is 5V both middle pins are ground and the right is 12(NV). Do you know whether this is the same on the floppy and I should connect the greaseweazle power output with the floppy power input 1:1 ?

BR Planetinfinity

You can just 4 female-female dupont leads.
Mikerochip is offline  
Old 14 January 2021, 09:16   #11
Planetinfinity
Registered User

Planetinfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mannheim
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
You can just 4 female-female dupont leads.
I tried to translate "dupont leads" but I am not able to. Could you please let me know what "dupont leads" bedeutet. Does is mean 1:1 ?
Planetinfinity is offline  
Old 14 January 2021, 11:37   #12
Jope
-
Jope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Helsinki / Finland
Age: 40
Posts: 8,218
Jump wires..

Jope is offline  
Old 14 January 2021, 11:44   #13
Planetinfinity
Registered User

Planetinfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mannheim
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Ok, "dupont leads" are "jump wires".
But still the question is does it work when I connect the pins 1:1 means:

Floppy power connector left -> greaceweazle connector left
Floppy power connector 2 -> greaceweazle connector 2
Floppy power connector 3 -> greaceweazle connector 3
Floppy power connector right -> greaceweazle connector right

Or are pins are twisted ?

Maybe the question is completely stupid but usually I don't play around with electronic stuff and therefore I don't have such routine (and knowledge).

Last edited by Planetinfinity; 14 January 2021 at 12:03.
Planetinfinity is offline  
Old 14 January 2021, 12:21   #14
Jope
-
Jope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Helsinki / Finland
Age: 40
Posts: 8,218
You should only need to connect the +5 and ground with two wires.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berg_connector

A multimeter would help in double checking.
Jope is offline  
Old 15 January 2021, 18:20   #15
Planetinfinity
Registered User

Planetinfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mannheim
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Thank you very very much for all your hints. I was able to connect the 5V and group from the greaseweazle to the floppy and I was able to read from disk. I additionally found out that both of my floppy drives were defect but the 3rd (I received yesterday) worked fine.

I have another issue but because this is unrelated to this topic I created a new forum entry https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1454173
Planetinfinity is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which floppy drive would be good for flux reading/Greaseweazle Blitter support.Hardware 24 05 November 2020 10:28
Floppy drive randomly thinks there is a floppy disk inserted Sim085 support.Hardware 3 12 April 2020 17:14
IBM Floppy drive -> External Amiga floppy drive? Rampage support.Hardware 9 14 January 2019 16:54
Floppy drive power connector (on Amigastore's External Floppy Disk Drive Adapter) arkpandora support.Hardware 4 19 September 2017 00:41
Add ability to select PC floppy drive so you can read ADF files from PC Floppy Unicron request.UAE Wishlist 6 07 February 2017 17:12

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.11832 seconds with 16 queries