English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 July 2004, 18:10   #1
Freckle
I like hats

Location: I fell down the stairs and bumped my head, so I am kind of half-in, half-out of the broom cupboard
Unhappy Getting floppy drive to fit and function properly

Hi, as you can see, Monkey is more than pleased with his new Amiga, and even happier now that we have a working floppy drive, but I am having a small problem with the way it is fitting in the case - the front of the drive seems to be missing, and although I can manage without th button, when I eject the disk it only ejects a very small distance and so does not come out of the casing at all, but because of the little metal bracket (bottom picture) I cannot move the drive closer to the edge of the casing, so it sits about a centimetre and a half back in the case. If I remove the broacket then the loose drive in the casing will move even further back when I press the non-existant eject button

Am I making sense?

Anyway, I would really like to be able to put the upper casing in place, but I can't as I have to remove it to take out the disk every time I use it. Unless my Amiga is mis-shapen there must be a vey easy and obvious way to overcome this. Monkey provides these pictures for illustration of the problem...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drive pic.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	7148  
Old 16 July 2004, 18:31   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

Why not shift it forward then screw through the metal bracket into the casing at the bottom?
Old 16 July 2004, 18:46   #3
Freckle
I like hats

Location: I fell down the stairs and bumped my head, so I am kind of half-in, half-out of the broom cupboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Why not shift it forward then screw through the metal bracket into the casing at the bottom?
The small metal bracket fits within the metal inner casing of the Amiga, so I can't actually manouvre it in that way
Old 16 July 2004, 19:10   #4
[idoru]

There's usually 2 or 3 holes in the side of the floppy drive that the metal bracket can be attached to. More than likely you need to move it up one hole, and then screw it into the inner casing of the Amiga.
Old 16 July 2004, 19:36   #5
Peanutuk

If the drive is moved nearly the disk slot at the side of the case won't the case have trouble shutting?
Old 16 July 2004, 19:56   #6
Freckle
I like hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by [idoru]
There's usually 2 or 3 holes in the side of the floppy drive that the metal bracket can be attached to. More than likely you need to move it up one hole, and then screw it into the inner casing of the Amiga.
No, I did have a look to see if this was the case but there is unfortunately only the one hole to fit the screw
Old 16 July 2004, 20:01   #7
Freckle
I like hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutuk
If the drive is moved nearly the disk slot at the side of the case won't the case have trouble shutting?
I tried it with the bracket completely removed and it can be moved up to the disk drive opening with no problem, but as it is still loose within the case when any pressure is applied (like when removing the disk) I need a way of fixing it into the case in a non-permanent way, (I do not want to resort to glueing it in) but something a bit more standard than a big lump of blu-tac which as this juncture seems to be the only viable option that Monkey's little brain can muster
Old 16 July 2004, 20:06   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

Erm... lots of sello-tape
Old 16 July 2004, 20:14   #9
Peanutuk

Can you not construct a make-shift button?

Screw the drive in as normal and carefully superglue a piece of plastic to the bit of metal you push in?

I thing the reason that the disk doesn't come out properly is because it works from the ressure you apply when pushing the button. As thre isn't a button you cannot hit it firmly enough to push the bit of metal in properly or fast enough.

This may be the simplest method.
Old 16 July 2004, 20:35   #10
Freckle
I like hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutuk
I thing the reason that the disk doesn't come out properly is because it works from the ressure you apply when pushing the button. As thre isn't a button you cannot hit it firmly enough to push the bit of metal in properly or fast enough.
I have made a makeshift button and fixed it to the disk drive - the disk does not eject any further - so either the disk drive is not settling into the correct position for whatever reason, or the eject mechanism has become weakened.

I am sure it can be remedied by relocating the drive as I have mentioned, as I have teasted it and can confirm that it would then work fine, though I have to manually hold it in position

I just need to think of a simple way of moving it forward that vital extra centimetre or so and hold it in place without the use of school stationary supplies but as the two conflicting pieces are both made of metal it is an irritating little conundrum.

A Blu-Tac collection service looks imminent... All donations from backs of old posters welcome
Old 16 July 2004, 21:44   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

You need to fix it using only Elastic-Bands, 2 Balloons 1cm sello-tape and a blob of white-tac
Old 20 July 2004, 09:13   #12
manicx

BTW, what kind of FDD is that? Is this an external FDD that you tried to fit internally? In the past (on a Atari ST), I used thermal glue to keep the FDD in place.
Old 20 July 2004, 22:53   #13
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Dead 1200 with a (probably working) FDD

Freckle,
if you live near Fareham, I have a spare 1200 (which is dead - it won't boot from the hard drive after my accelerator fried it). I believe that the FDD is ok (but I can't remember to be honest). You can have the whole thing for free, but because I am lazy you will either have to collect it or wait until I can be bothered to take the FDD out and post it to you.
Old 20 July 2004, 23:23   #14
hal
where am i ?

epoxy the drive...
or use one of those hot melt glue guns (better idea maybe :P)
Old 20 July 2004, 23:33   #15
Peanutuk

What is epoxy?

And BTW can you take an external drive out of its casing and put inside? Does it need any modifications to attach to the A1200 mother board?
Old 21 July 2004, 00:44   #16
hal
where am i ?

epoxy is a glue in two parts (it comes in double syringe thingies....)
when both parts of the glue mix it'll form a very strong plastic compound...
i sometimes use it for computer parts that no screws will make stick...
Old 21 July 2004, 16:12   #17
Freckle
I like hats

I wanted something a little less permanent than that as if I manage to get a better Floppy Drive in the future (and I wish I lived somewhere near Fareham so I could take Jherek up on his offer) then I'd need to be able to remove the FDD that was already inside - and from experience with my uncle using those epoxy glues to fix the fittings in his car interior, once that stuff is set it is stuck for life, and I don't want to be left sawing the drive out

For the moment I have managed with the multiple blob of blu-tac idea and it seems to be pretty secure for the time being, even if it is a bit of a Blue Peter fix-up.
Old 21 July 2004, 21:32   #18
hal
where am i ?

heh... then i'd try a hot melt glue
not as permanent but still pretty strong...