English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 October 2019, 21:06   #21
paul1981

I think that's Gayle 01, with XU1 chip at the bottom to correct the fault with Gayle 01. Rarer, some accelerator cards may not work with those older boards IIRC.
Old 07 October 2019, 10:05   #22
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post

I think that's Gayle 01, with XU1 chip at the bottom to correct the fault with Gayle 01. Rarer, some accelerator cards may not work with those older boards IIRC.
Interesting....mines a rev 1.5....Never seen a rev 1.
Old 07 October 2019, 11:21   #23
Superman

I have an A300 rev1 board like that and my furia works perfectly although does get hot.
Old 07 October 2019, 19:05   #24
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I have an A300 rev1 board like that and my furia works perfectly although does get hot.
There is a Heatsink fan upgrade you can get.
Old 07 October 2019, 22:39   #25
CDTV1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark sealey View Post
I'm thinking of doing this

Is there a convenient fan power connector location on the board or main board?
Old 09 October 2019, 01:26   #26
Nightshft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Mine too. 60°C at the heatsink in less than 40mins.

Quote:
Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTV1991 View Post

To get started, I ordered a 40x40x10 and a 40x40x7 fan. And I asked a friend to print the A600 fan holder, but it will take another week until he has time to print it.

For a first try I poked 2 "thick wires" (like the contact wires electrical components have) from the top into the 5v and Gnd contact of the Floppy connector but I can't really recommend this, as its not a perfect connection. Searching for a better solution too.

Fun fact:
When you mount the fan to blow the air out of the slots of the case my furia reaches about 45°C instead of 60°C (measured directly on the heatsink).
When you mount the fan on the heatsink to blow down the heatsink will be like 10°C cooler, but it's not wise because you just spread the warm air in the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2428 furia for eab_k.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	64673  
Old 09 October 2019, 10:44   #27
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTV1991 View Post

There is....you seen the kit on lereks(?) Site ?

You have to change the cpu heatsink for another with fan on....however you risk damaging the cpu when you remove the old heatsink.
Old 09 October 2019, 10:49   #28
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
Mine too. 60°C at the heatsink in less than 40mins.

Where?

To get started, I ordered a 40x40x10 and a 40x40x7 fan. And I asked a friend to print the A600 fan holder, but it will take another week until he has time to print it.

For a first try I poked 2 "thick wires" (like the contact wires electrical components have) from the top into the 5v and Gnd contact of the Floppy connector but I can't really recommend this, as its not a perfect connection. Searching for a better solution too.

Fun fact:
When you mount the fan to blow the air out of the slots of the case my furia reaches about 45°C instead of 60°C (measured directly on the heatsink).
When you mount the fan on the heatsink to blow down the heatsink will be like 10°C cooler, but it's not wise because you just spread the warm air in the case.

Looks fine to me....I thought about that....two fans...one blowing in one out...?
Old 09 October 2019, 10:53   #29
Mark sealey

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=280
Old 09 October 2019, 15:06   #30
idrougge

I run my 600 with Furia for days on end. The heat sink is already enormous. Don't see why you would need an additional fan unless the new batch has got CPUs with lower tolerances.
Old 09 October 2019, 16:31   #31
Nightshft

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
... Don't see why you would need an additional fan unless the new batch has got CPUs with lower tolerances.
Because 60°C on the heatsink means even hotter (75°C ?) on the die. I can live with that, but adding a fan could maybe increase lifespan and stability and so i check it out. The fan I got is absolutely quiet (12V fan running slower with 5V).

Quote:
There is....you seen the kit on lereks(?) Site ?
You have to change the cpu heatsink for another with fan on....however you risk damaging the cpu when you remove the old heatsink.
I bought via a reseller (amigastore.eu) and knew it's a product from lotharek, but didn't know this kit - thanks for pointing it out. Guess there's not much risk for the cpu when you remove the heatsink slowly(?) Also very interesting that it's possible to use the pinheader on the board for fan supply - gotta try that soon

Edit: The two pins deliver +3.3V (at the "outer" pin) and Gnd. Too less for my 12V fan, but the 5V fan runs fine.

Last edited by Nightshft; 09 October 2019 at 16:56.
Old 23 November 2019, 14:34   #32
psoma

Hey man, just piggy backing onto this as I'm having a VERY similar experience with my newly purchased Furia 40Mhz (A600, 2.05 ROM, 2MB Chip, SD to IDE adaptor).

So I've tried this thing in 2 different recapped 600s with 3 different power supplies and have encountered the exact same symptoms, so it's not the Amigas' fault. I'm getting:

1) Occasional refusal to boot - stays at final white screen (floppy doesn't even continue to check for disk - so it's a freeze). When it does refuse, I need to turn it off for a minute to even hope for a successful boot.
2) Frequent boots to only 4.5MB other mem. A few reboots gets it back to 9MB.
3) Can't run Sysinfo with the FPU - it hard freezes every time.
4) No probs with the Furia out.

Now, when it works, it's great... but it doesn't work the way it should so often, I can't imagine everyone is experiencing this or we'd be hearing a lot more about it - how's it going for you now?

Cheers,

Tom
Old 28 November 2019, 11:00   #33
psoma

Bump - is this just the Furia “experience” or is everyone else’s working each time every time?!?

Cheers,

Tom
Old 28 November 2019, 18:35   #34
Mark sealey

A contact of mine has sent my custom Rom 3.1.4) to the developer of the Furia....so he can work on the issue....from my experience the higher the OS the better....os 3.1 was a nightmare....OS 3.1.4(standard rom) was ok but had to disable cpu cashe and card device to boot.

Os 3.1.4 custom Rom that had the expansion library from os3.1 boots great....no issues.

Ive got a custom 3.9 rom that works like a dream ?
Old 28 November 2019, 18:37   #35
Mark sealey

Also NEVER remove the Furia too many times...as it "squeezes" the cpu and can lead to dry joints...!!
Old 28 November 2019, 22:42   #36
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoma View Post
Bump - is this just the Furia “experience” or is everyone else’s working each time every time?!?

Cheers,

Tom

I have one of the older white 33mhz Furias and it works perfectly fine. I think its the newer red boards that people have had issues with.
Old 29 November 2019, 08:46   #37
psoma

Uhhhhh, bugger. Anything I can do to stabilise things? I actually don’t need the speed - I got a 40Mhz only because the 33Mhz were out of stock.
Old 29 November 2019, 10:34   #38
Jolabandola

Got me worried now.

Yikes! Reading about all the problems people are having with their Furia has made me alittle worried.
My A600 is currently getting a recap and some other repairs and I still havet gotten it back yet. Meanwhile i have been buying and hoarding up a ton of stuff to put into it when i get it back.

Furia, A604a, ECS Indivision, Gotek, SD-card with adapter, Workbench 3.1.4 and the kickstart rom to go with it.

I have ordered a 4gb SanDisk SD-card to use as hard drive.
What are some things i need to keep in mind or be careful about? Do i use PFS3AIO? What transfer rate? What else? Should i get active cooling for the Furia?
If anyone could give me some pointers i would be really happy.
Old 29 November 2019, 11:26   #39
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolabandola View Post
Yikes! Reading about all the problems people are having with their Furia has made me alittle worried.
My A600 is currently getting a recap and some other repairs and I still havet gotten it back yet. Meanwhile i have been buying and hoarding up a ton of stuff to put into it when i get it back.

Furia, A604a, ECS Indivision, Gotek, SD-card with adapter, Workbench 3.1.4 and the kickstart rom to go with it.

I have ordered a 4gb SanDisk SD-card to use as hard drive.
What are some things i need to keep in mind or be careful about? Do i use PFS3AIO? What transfer rate? What else? Should i get active cooling for the Furia?
If anyone could give me some pointers i would be really happy.
Os 3.1.4 will be ok....once booted.....it will get warm in there with the cover and keyboard on....search on ebay for a "vampire cooling fan" theres a guy who 3D prints an adapter for a 10mm x 30mm fan...sucks air out.

I have a Indivision ecs via a603...works great.

PFS3 is a no brainer.....!!
Old 29 November 2019, 15:26   #40
Jolabandola

Is this it?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2829586
It is for a Vampire card but maby it could work for a Furia too.