English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 February 2006, 10:17   #1
hamster
Zone Friend

Recommend a version of winuae for a slow P3-850

Hi ye All!

Would anyone please recommend a older version of winuae that would be faster on a pentium 3 850Mhz? I have winuae 1.1.0 but can consume 36% of cpu for when using frame for frame (I trieed playing with perf settings). Just wondering if a older version would be faster? - I wouldn't mind losing a few bug fixes and improvments for more speed.

I have a P4 and winuae on that is a joy to behold. But I'd really appreciate help on the P3. It won't be dumped yet.
Old 05 February 2006, 15:49   #2
bugmenot

What´s wrong with 36% CPU utilization?

Anyway, I don´t think there are faster versions of WinUAE than the latest ones (at least not with JIT Compilation turned on).

Another option would be to try WinFellow ( http://fellow.sourceforge.net/ ). Back in the days (DOS-)Fellow was considerably faster than (DOS-)UAE.

Old 05 February 2006, 16:03   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If you only want to play games or demos: enable lores and disable doubling.
Old 05 February 2006, 16:35   #4
hamster
Zone Friend

Thanks Tony for your input here.

Bugmenot, I was get 36% cpu usage sitting at the workbench desktop (3.1 HD). Once I did anything fancy... up it would go to typically 106-136% and so on. However I appreciate the various ways you could play with the settings to speed things up. What I was wondering was Winuae optimisied for P4s in particular (granted probably slight). - Actually that sounds interesting - does winuae lean towards an AMD or Intel chip? (Not wanting to sound like a cpu vs cpu argument
Old 05 February 2006, 19:33   #5
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
I used Winuae V0.69r13 (from 1997,by Mathias Ortmann) on my P3-800 Mhz.
It has a faster and a more compatible executable of uae included. The compatibility was already very high.
As config you have to use command line options, no gui available for that. I use two *.bat files, one with typical A500 settings and another one for HDD booting options. I can supply those if anyone want to try some winuae-oldies.
Have windows associate the .bat with adf files is great for quick loading an image: just doubleklick the adf and play...
Beware that older versions often had sound issues, thats why i used the 0.69 version coz it worked very well on my old hardware (with SB live soundcard that i still use with winuae 1.1).
Old 11 February 2006, 10:02   #6
hamster
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adderly
I used Winuae V0.69r13 (from 1997,by Mathias Ortmann) on my P3-800 Mhz.
It has a faster and a more compatible executable of uae included. The compatibility was already very high.
As config you have to use command line options, no gui available for that. I use two *.bat files, one with typical A500 settings and another one for HDD booting options. I can supply those if anyone want to try some winuae-oldies.
Have windows associate the .bat with adf files is great for quick loading an image: just doubleklick the adf and play...
Beware that older versions often had sound issues, thats why i used the 0.69 version coz it worked very well on my old hardware (with SB live soundcard that i still use with winuae 1.1).
Hi Adderly,
Thanks for the kind advice. I will get a hold of Winuae V0.69r13 (if I can track it down) and tried it on my own P3-800Mhz. Could I bother you for the .bat files? I hate to be lazy to ask! The reason I haven't upgraded is my job is 100 miles away from here and I can only use it weekends which is why I haven't upgraded yet. This five year old P3 is almost retro at this stage. The P4's make some difference alright.
Old 11 February 2006, 10:43   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Using a P3-866 if you select lowres, doubling off, centering off, Cycle Accurate CPU & Blitter off and more importantly you set a window size (or full screen size) of near to 360x288 (overscan) you CAN get 100% A500 speed with refresh every frame with the latest WinUAE!

Last edited by alexh; 11 February 2006 at 10:54.
Old 11 February 2006, 11:05   #8
hamster
Zone Friend

Hi Alexh,

I'll do this and put it to the test. I'll reboot and shutdown un-necessary background stuff and run that config for the A500 OCS and try Rainbow Islands as a test and see what the FPS is like. Since the weekend has arrived
Old 12 February 2006, 14:08   #9
Adderly
[Satan^God]

I've zoned the official winUAE 0.69 release 13 i used back on my 800 Mhz PeeCee included configs for A500 with KS1.3; a KS 3.0 config and KS3.0 + HDD booting from a dir as batch files (*.bat).
todo: adjust directory to your winuae069 and KickStart files und associate the adf's with the .bat file. Dblklick on a adf should load winuae and boot the disk then.
Old 12 February 2006, 14:13   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Once Hamster has made the changes I said above, he'll be happy with the latest version of WinUAE.
Old 12 February 2006, 18:40   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
For the record, this is 0.6.9 R12

Anyhow, as this version is fully command-line controlled, it might also be a good candidate for frontend inclusion, i. e. it would not require a config file.
Old 12 February 2006, 20:02   #12
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
Once Hamster has made the changes I said above, he'll be happy with the latest version of WinUAE.
Sure, turn off some of the winuae features is always a good option for more speed - but if an older version is compatible with your program/game you can enjoy more fps with all the goodies turned on
Old 12 February 2006, 20:08   #13
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
For the record, this is 0.6.9 R12
You are right, for some strange reason the directory is labeled wrong as ...r13.
Anyway, it works. I often use this old version because it loads so much faster once you have the right config.
Old 12 February 2006, 21:22   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

But the goodies werent there in the earlier versions
Old 13 February 2006, 04:49   #15
chocolate_boy

Just upgrade your PC. My housemate got a motherboard with 6 USB 2 slots, 512mb of RAM and a Sempron processor at 1.66ghz for £60 from our local computer shop last week, they're dirt cheap!
Old 13 February 2006, 08:26   #16
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_boy
Just upgrade your PC. My housemate got a motherboard with 6 USB 2 slots, 512mb of RAM and a Sempron processor at 1.66ghz for £60 from our local computer shop last week, they're dirt cheap!
This is going off topic. Hamster asked for an old version of winuae. Mind you that with Windows Vista coming second half of this year you have the very minimal hardware for running it....

@alexh: The 1997 version (9 years old by now!) runs very fine if compatible with your software (and compatibility was already very good that days). I like them mature, but agreed, a fresh tight Winuae is also a fine thing.
Surely Tony et al. added some nice features!
Old 13 February 2006, 14:28   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Yes, especially the volume control.
My neighbors were VERY thankful for this, you bet
(as usually when I needed to control volume, it took about 10 seconds to do so: iconify winuae, search for the damn mixer icon, launch it, etc. etc. )
Old 13 February 2006, 22:10   #18
Adderly
[Satan^God]

ups, i never realised a volume control exists. *starts winuae*
Yes, hehe, you are right. I always modify the volume via the hifi-receiver attached to my PC. Lol, just learned something.
Old 14 February 2006, 06:13   #19
billy

Quote:
Using a P3-866 if you select lowres, doubling off, centering off, Cycle Accurate CPU & Blitter off and more importantly you set a window size (or full screen size) of near to 360x288 (overscan) you CAN get 100% A500 speed with refresh every frame with the latest WinUAE!
Quote:
I kinda thought that those were bold statements, until I installed WinUAE 1.1.1 on my P3-850 IBM Thinkpad with alexh's suggested setup. I used graphics overlay as usual, but the unit only has a S3 Savage (SUCK) chipset so I didn't bother to use any of the D3D or OGL filters.

I would be VERY happy with the performance of A500 games and demos on the 850MHz box. There was CPU left to spare even in double line mode on the games I tried.

The following two pics are screenies from my P3-850
Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae111-P3-850.png
Views:	275
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	10242

Name:	winuae111-P3-850-b.png
Views:	260
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	10243

The following pic used alexh's suggested setup on my AMD 3400+

Name:	lowCPUfc.png
Views:	256
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	10241
Old 14 February 2006, 13:34   #20
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Let me just say now that it was not my suggested setup. But Toni "WinUAE" Willen's suggested setup.

It would appear that the actual rendering is what takes up most of the horse power, reduce the number of pixels that WinUAE has to render drastically affects the cpu power required. When in full screen mode (400x300) what does it matter anyhow?