English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 24 November 2008, 14:19   #1
ElB

Not entirely on topic, but almost...

I've been working on a trackmo/old-skool megademo/whatever you want to call it for a while now, and after several false starts, screwups, distractions, etc., I'm finally heading on the right track (read the sorry saga here). I've got a working version of the framework (without all effects implemented, and some housekeeping still to do) and I'd be interested to see how (or indeed if) it runs on a variety real hardware -- all I have is an A1200 -- so can anyone recommend somewhere to host the file (188K compressed ADF) so people who are bored enough can download it? I don't need a permanent home for it (yet), and I'm too cheap to pay for webhosting, so any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Also, hello!

Update: Hosting solved -- it's here; it also seems it does work on real hardware, so all I really need now is artistic feedback and some time to finish the damned thing.

Last edited by ElB; 25 November 2008 at 13:46.
Old 24 November 2008, 14:43   #2
pmc
gone

Hello ElB - from the screenshots I saw, what you're making looks really cool.

If you need a temporary home for people to download things from you could always put the .adf into the Zone here on EAB. That'll give it a home for seven days which should be enough time for some people to download it and test...
Old 24 November 2008, 14:44   #3
pmc
gone

Oh and, just in case, here's how you access the Zone:

http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb_...ezone_faq_item
Old 24 November 2008, 14:46   #4
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Welcome to the EAB, ElB Another coder has joined our ranks

As said, the zone could be a rather temporary home, but a better solution is to make an attachment out of the file. Now it will stay available for as long as you want it to be.
Old 24 November 2008, 14:49   #5
DH
Global Moderator

Welcome to EAB

Nice work you're doing there mate! Although I can't really help you as all I use is an emu (Almost all Amiga specs but not quite the real thing), your work looks cool and I cant wait to see the finished product
Old 24 November 2008, 15:50   #6
JuvUK

i have a A1200 060 with 32mb, i'll try it for you if you want?
Old 24 November 2008, 17:54   #7
ElB

Ok, it's in the Zone; minimum requirements are ECS/1MB Chip so it should run on an A500+ or A600 (and seems to work in UAE with that configuration), but I'd like to confirm it on a real machine if possible. (It may run on a machine with 512KB Chip, but it still currently requires full ECS; so far the only real use I make of it (EHB+) is on the depacking screen so I may redo the picture and see if it works on OCS machines.)

As the description says, if you have enough RAM then run it from the CLI as it should spit out some debug information when it's finished. Any other criticisms, observations, questions, let me know. Now all I need to do is finish it before something else shiny grabs my attention.

(Oh, and as it doesn't yet have a credits-part, I'd just like to say thanks to u4ia/Cryptoburners for permission to use the awesome music.)

(Edited to fix forbidden link; mea culpa. Is there any way to link to the Zone in such a way as the thing you want is shown without linking to a direct download?)

Last edited by ElB; 24 November 2008 at 19:11.
Old 24 November 2008, 18:49   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi EIB,

a welcome to the EAB from me aswell
I'll definetely have a look at your demo , but one little thing :
Quote:
Also Please don't direct link to files in The Zone when creating a 'new thread' or 'replying to a post'

Have a nice stay here!
Old 24 November 2008, 19:14   #9
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElB View Post
minimum requirements are ECS/1MB Chip so it should run on an A500+ or A600 (and seems to work in UAE with that configuration)

(Oh, and as it doesn't yet have a credits-part, I'd just like to say thanks to u4ia/Cryptoburners for permission to use the awesome music.)

Tried your min requirements (on WinUAE) and I can't get past the swirly red do dah! thingy, some white text appears, briefly, saying '???????? presents' in the right bottom corner and then restarts. I have tried slightly different configs but alas the same thing occurs Any Ideas?

btw. The configs I am using are the quickstart default ones.

Anyway looks good, from what I saw of it and the music is an excellent choice. I use it in something of mine too, only because it sound great
Old 24 November 2008, 19:26   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@DemonHellraiser
Try the A1200 4MB extended quickstart Works fine here

@EIB
Sorry, no way to link to the file. If you want to spread your file have a look here : http://www.box.net/
You still have a download page, but it's only your file and it stays longer than 7 days (that's the maximum lifetime in the zone )
Old 24 November 2008, 19:27   #11
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElB View Post
(Edited to fix forbidden link; mea culpa. Is there any way to link to the Zone in such a way as the thing you want is shown without linking to a direct download?)
Don't think there is. You'll just have to rely on people reading this thread or stumbling upon it by sheer chance, and files are deleted after a week anyway.

EDIT: Too slow
Old 24 November 2008, 19:38   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@Graham
Only a few seconds

The demo looks quite nice A bit long loading times, but that's what the warp mode is for Keep it up EIB
Old 24 November 2008, 19:47   #13
ElB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
some white text appears, briefly, saying '???????? presents' in the right bottom corner and then restarts. btw. The configs I am using are the quickstart default ones.
I'm fairly certain it'll be falling over at that point because of insufficient ChipRAM -- right after the text is displayed I grab a large chunk (128k! -- I should probably check it's available rather than just falling over); on minimal setups make sure you boot from the ADF, have only a single floppy connected, etc. If all else fails, try addong more Chip or Fast or use the A1200 config!

(I'm a Mac user so I have no idea what the default configs are like in WinUAE, but the standard A600 setup from Hi-Toro (the Mac UAE GUI) works fine (ECS/1MB Chip/KS2.05).)

I've found a couple of other problems, both minor: the AGA detection is broken (which doesn't actually affect anything (yet) other than the debug information), and in the mathshit section it turns on some extra bits with an 020 or better when it should be looking for a 68881, so it'll stutter a bit in places if you have an 020 but no FPU (e.g. a vanilla A1200).
Old 24 November 2008, 19:53   #14
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
@DemonHellraiser
Try the A1200 4MB extended quickstart Works fine here
Cheers TCD works a treat.

@EIB

Nice work mate! Will have a better look sometime later, as the wife decided to interrupt me whilst watching it
Old 24 November 2008, 19:56   #15
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Don't think there is. You'll just have to rely on people reading this thread or stumbling upon it by sheer chance, and files are deleted after a week anyway.
The solution would be to make an attachment out of it. I've zipped the adf and its only 18.2kb.
Old 24 November 2008, 20:07   #16
ElB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
A bit long loading times, but that's what the warp mode is for
Heh. The load time bugs me, too, but I'm not sure that there's much I can do about it; the tune alone weighs in at nearly 200K. It's also loading a lot of GFX, code, and assorted bits of data that aren't used yet, so hopefully once it's finished the interminable wait will be justifiable.

@Thorham: Hadn't spotted the attachment feature. I'll bear that in mind next time.
Old 24 November 2008, 22:18   #17
Vortex
Used Register

Hi EIB,

Just like to welcome you (joined myself not so long ago). Will be watching your stuff with great interest (like most stuff in this forum ).

Hope you can make it OCS friendly, so I can run it on my brand old A500...

Good luck with your demo!
Old 24 November 2008, 22:47   #18
JuvUK

ok here's my report,
demo was oldskool and cool
demo started, ran and exited no probs, reort at the end says
AGA: Yes CPU: 68060 FPU: 68060
RAM overhead - Fast: 1808 Chip: 640
Engine successfully terminated.

amiga 1200 apollo 060 32mb os 3.9

cheers JuvUK
Old 25 November 2008, 12:18   #19
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

I've just tried your demo man & it works fine on the 2 machines I tested it with...details;

A1200 Rev ID.3, Blizzard 1230 MkIV, 64mb Fast RAM, no FPU: Runs from HDD or FDD within Workbench environment, also run fine booted from floppy.

A600 (unknown Rev, too much stuff in the way), 1mb trapdoor expansion: As above, HDD, FDD, booted, all work great.

Didn't even bother with the A2000, I'm sure it'll work there too!

Nice work man, I'm not a big demo fan, but very nice work & I'll be showing this to a certain person for sure!

PZ.
Old 25 November 2008, 12:24   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Cheers TCD works a treat.
Good to hear. Maybe EIB wanna update the first post