Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 November 2019, 11:43   #1
donnie

Reeshoot R floppydisk edition!

Quote:
Permanent fire free for RESHOOT R
Modern action for retro platform Amiga

Pürgen / Übersee on Oktober 15. 2019

The development studio spielscherreiber and the publisher APC & TCP today announce the availability of the retro action game RESHOOT R in two new variants.

From now on the game is also available as a floppy disk version under the name RESHOOT R Classic Disk Edition.
This version is intended for all users who do not have a CD-ROM drive to their Amiga 1200 or Amiga 4000.
The game can now be installed on hard disk by diskette.

In addition, a download version of RESHOOT R is now available for the AROS system.
This version requires AROS with 100% AGA compatibility with 2MB of CHIP RAM.
RESHOOT R AROS was also successfully tested on the Vampire V4.

In addition, the RESHOOT R mousepad and RESHOOT R poster have recently become available.

ABOUT RESHOOT R

RESHOOT R is a 2D horizontal shoot'em up in the style of the great arcade classics like Silkworm, R-Type and Gradius

FEATURES

* developed and programmed by industry veteran Richard Löwenstein
* goes to the performance limit of Amiga CD32, 1200 and 4000
* Five themed stages in the elaborately designed retro design
* exciting attack waves and boss battles
* Extra weapons and powerups
* Multi-level scrolling, up to 100 objects on the screen
* 50 hertz refresh rate ensures a steady high speed
* more than 400 colors on the screen
* stimulating soundtrack and SFX simultaneously
* locally storable highscore list and internet ranking
* runs on standard hardware of the A1200, A4000 and CD32, no extensions necessary
* tested on Amiga systems with the following CPUs: 68020, 68030, 68040 and 68060

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS CD EDITION

- Amiga 1200, Amiga 4000 or CD32
- Joystick or CD32-compatible pad
- 2 MB Chipmemory, more memory is supported
- runs on compatible Amiga emulators under Windows, Mac and Linux

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS CLASSIC-DISK-EDITION

- Amiga 1200, Amiga 4000
- Floppy drive
- hard disk
- 2 MB Chipmemory, more memory is supported

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS AROS-EDITION

- AROS with 100% AGA compatibility with 2 MB CHIP RAM.

More info: http://reshootr.spieleschreiber.de

ABOUT spieleschreiber

Spieleschreiber is a development studio specializing in retro computer games. Founder and core of the team from Upper Bavaria Pürgen is the game journalist Richard Lowenstein.
Richard Löwenstein developed computer games successfully in the 1980s and wrote articles for the magazines Happy Computer, 64er and Amiga Joker.
RESHOOT R was in development for three years and was created in cooperation with the entire retro community.
Design, Coding, Production: Richard Löwenstein. Graphics: Kevin Saunders. Music and Sound Effects: Martin Ahman.

More info: http://www.spieleschreiber.de

ÜBER APC&TCP

APC & TCP has been active as a Publisher for Amiga products for over 25 years.
From APC & TCP come products such as Amiga Future, Amiga Family, Flyin High, Marblelous, Pinball Brain Damage, CygnusED, Roadshow and much more.
APC & TCP has been trying for many years not only to release high-end Amiga games like RESHOOT R, but also smaller projects such as Trap Runner.
APC & TCP is constantly looking for interesting Amiga projects to publish.

http://www.apc-tcp.de

Awesome news for me. I dont think cdrom is a good fit for amiga, its as far from standard as it possibly could. Floppy is standard. And an installable game of floppy would allow for reasonble size for a 2d game without fmv and other useless things.
Old 24 November 2019, 11:45   #2
donnie

hopefully we can get a big box version.

Last edited by donnie; 24 November 2019 at 11:50.
Old 24 November 2019, 12:12   #3
DamienD
Banned

That's all good

...but I think it would be nice if Richard provided this new .ADF version free for people who already purchase the very expensive digital copy.
Old 24 November 2019, 16:35   #4
lesta_smsc

Just so I'm clear, the game fits on 2 floppy disks or is this a different version to the CD version e.g. 'cut down'? I'm just curious that Richard went to the effort of producing a CD when it could have fit on the disk (and feels more retro to Amiga on floppy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...but I think it would be nice if Richard provided this new .ADF version free for people who already purchase the very expensive digital copy.
I would have hoped the ADF was included on the CD as plenty of space for under 2 x 880KB disks?
Old 24 November 2019, 17:45   #5
Solo Kazuki

Nowadays producing two floppy disks is similar cost to producing CD. And if i understand correctly floppy version is only for installation on HDD, CD version is playable on-fly.
Old 24 November 2019, 18:06   #6
donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Just so I'm clear, the game fits on 2 floppy disks or is this a different version to the CD version e.g. 'cut down'? I'm just curious that Richard went to the effort of producing a CD when it could have fit on the disk (and feels more retro to Amiga on floppy).

I am wondering the same thing. How large is the downloadable install?

This is only installable from floppy. You cannot play it from floppy. Which probably makes it easier to compress. But how much can you fit on a floppy?

Personally i think installable floppy disks are much better choice than a cdrom. My pc does not even have a dvdrom anymore.
Old 24 November 2019, 19:30   #7
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
My pc does not even have a dvdrom anymore.
Does it have a floppy drive?! lol

880KB is the maximum size on Amiga floppy disk (in common use at 79 tracks, but there may be a few disks with more tracks but this is beyond my knowledge).

It would be nice if Richard made a disk swap floppy version 'just for fun' I relish the Monkey Island and Beneath a Steel Sky disk swaps!
Old 24 November 2019, 19:30   #8
vulture

I think it's the very same version, just on floppies.
Old 24 November 2019, 20:05   #9
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
880KB is the maximum size on Amiga floppy disk (in common use at 79 tracks, but there may be a few disks with more tracks but this is beyond my knowledge).
No, maximum is 1MB. There are some tools on AmiNet to save 1120kb on DD disk.

MegaFloppy
XFloppy
Old 24 November 2019, 22:55   #10
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
This is only installable from floppy. You cannot play it from floppy. Which probably makes it easier to compress. But how much can you fit on a floppy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
I think it's the very same version, just on floppies.
Oh, I thought the complete game was playable from the 2 x floppy disks... which really should be possible

...should have know better; cancel my request in post 3# then
Old 25 November 2019, 03:15   #11
vbgd
Insider

I think they`ve waited with the disk edition to reach a few sales of the cd-version.

Otherwise this game can be copied through sending as an attachment of an email in our modern times.
Old 25 November 2019, 08:13   #12
vulture

I think it couldn't really be possible as it needs to stream data during gameplay really quickly, beyond the rates a floopy drive can read them. I suppose, if it targeted systems with more than 2mb of ram, that might be feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Oh, I thought the complete game was playable from the 2 x floppy disks... which really should be possible

...should have know better; cancel my request in post 3# then
Old 25 November 2019, 11:40   #13
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
I think it couldn't really be possible as it needs to stream data during gameplay really quickly, beyond the rates a floopy drive can read them. I suppose, if it targeted systems with more than 2mb of ram, that might be feasible.
No it actually loads only between stages, no disc access during gameplay at all. I think it could be made to play straight from floppies.
..and I appreciate the bootable CD format because I have a CD32
Old 25 November 2019, 13:16   #14
vulture

I believe that's what Richard had told me when I asked him about the possibility of a traditional floppy version.
Old 25 November 2019, 17:07   #15
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
No, maximum is 1MB. There are some tools on AmiNet to save 1120kb on DD disk.

MegaFloppy
XFloppy
Incredible! I know the PC had MaxiDisk but even then it was only able to achieve 800KB but back then this was a huge boost for the files that were 'just too big' to fit on standard 720KB disk.

I thought the game loaded most of the data into memory and could therefore run off floppy disk. I would have liked to see a 'copylocked' or protected floppy disk in this day and age lol...
Old 26 November 2019, 11:36   #16
buzzybee

I was not aware of this discussion, Kevin Saunder pointed me here. First of all thanks for sharing your houghts and being interested in the floppy disc version of my humble game. Thought you might be interested to get some insights into some of the game design decisisions ...
  • Gameflow is most important to me. High Framerate and short loading pauses where a given very early in the gamedesign process.
  • Playing a game from floppy disc is a bad idea with many ECS games (unless they are called Turrican, Hybris or Silkworm. These classics run great from 3.5, too)
  • AGA games tend to transfer more data than ECS, and therefore load more data. Why? Because they use more colordepth, more anim frames and / or better sound quality. To give you an idea: The ingame music of RESHOOT R alone is about 330 KBytes of size, because this is what is needed to achieve near CD audio quality
  • RESHOOT R loads about 1.2 mb of unpacked data into memory at each new stage. I am not a genius at data compression. Suppose some demo coder wizard (not me) could compress RESHOOT R data to around 1/3 = 0.4 MB. But still dd floppy disc data transfer rate remains at about 32 KB/S. It´d still take more than 13 secs to load each stage
  • RESHOOT R fits onto two floppy discs only because the complete data is packed to the max. The data structure is not meant to be used for decompression in runtime. The decompressions take very long and would break gameflow it it´d happen ingame
  • Even if using the best available decompression algo, disc swaps would be inevitable at some point. Again, this would break gameflow
  • Because of all these reasons, I decided to optimise the game for CD32 and A1200/4000 with harddrive very early in thegame design process.
  • I feel I had to to provide a floppy disc version solely because some people asked for it so kindly. Maybe because of nostalgic reasons. Not because it is really needed
  • 3.5 dd is dead. Not (only) because the format is old and obsolete, but because there are no more new 3.5 dd discs available for purchase. There are only some hundred unused ones floating around, and when they are gone, they´re gone!

My message is this: If there really is still anyone out there with an A1200 without CD-ROM or any kind of harddrive, and therefore rightfully complains that he/she can´t play RESHOOT R on their system: Isn´t this a great opportuniy to enhance your A1200 with stuff Commodore should have added to the system already in 1992 :-)