English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 September 2001, 18:59   #21
Ian
Global Moderator

@First Post

Yes I remember that as well Turk182, in fact I think I still have it somewhere

@Second Post

I have had no crashes with the new version at all and I use the piece of shit formally know as, Windows 98.
Old 25 September 2001, 19:28   #22
MethodGit

WinUAE R9

I also had this rare version for some time (first found it on some site that I certainly can't remember at all, it's probably non-existent now). Sorry if any of you were expecting me to upload it but were left disappointed. Yes, I commonly use this version of WinUAE (much more than r8 to add to that) for the time being. I've completely given up on 0.8.14 & 16 (both totally hopeless and bugged to nothingness), and am desperately waiting for the forthcoming 0.8.17r2, which will hopefully actually allow Win95 users like moi to play around with the damn thing finally. Meanwhile the rest of you are lucky enough to receive the desirable pleasure early. Damn you all...

Maybe I should try and install Win98 SE in the near future. It's the only other OS that's most likely compatible and suitable for the likes of yours truly. (Fingers crossed... say, RCK, maybe a smilie of this action exists somewhere, perhaps?)

@IanCharge

First version or SE? Of your Windows 98 that is. If it's the latter, that would probably explain your clean, bug-free experiences with the emu.
Old 25 September 2001, 19:43   #23
Ian
Global Moderator

IanCharge is no more, can't you read

It's Second edition, but be under no illusions Marz, it's still shit. If you can get Windows 2000 use that or wait until XP comes out as WinUAE runs as smooth as silk on that bitch
Old 25 September 2001, 23:21   #24
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
[B]...emulation (as far as I remember) dates back to the mid to late 80's on the Amiga with GO-64!...
well, I had a Spectrum Emulator on my C64, which was developed in the very early 80s or something
Old 26 September 2001, 00:44   #25
Amigaboy

bleh

I had a Vic 20 emulator emulator on the C64 which is hella old

Old 26 September 2001, 03:50   #26
Exodus

Twistin' Ghost:

True. Emulation started way back in the late 80s, as you said. But Emulation on the Internet started in 1995. That is what I read off a web site ages ago. Don't remember what it was called.

Yes, I knew that UAE was originally designed for Unix. However, I did not take Unix into consideration while I ranted on. My fault. DosUAE was the next port.

Take in mind that while I ranted, I also discussed the problems I have with WinUAE not getting choppy sound. I still get choppy sound no matter which setting I have.

Exodus
Old 26 September 2001, 06:59   #27
Exodus

By the way, regardless of the false statements that Amiga emulation got started with DosUAE and WinUAE 0.8.8R8 runs more games out there, I just would like to know how accurate I was.

//admin: hey ! please stop using Direct signature in all your post... you have to use your UserCP instead
Old 26 September 2001, 16:33   #28
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Okay everyone, I can see this topic is a fairly controversial one but I think it very much is one based each user's PC's & setups thereof.

To Exodus firstly-from a technical standpoint, I have experienced much of what you have stated. Despite a few tries of later versions of WinUAE, my regularly used version remains WinUAE 08.8r8. I too have tried later versions such as WinUAE 08.14x series & found them far too choppy sound/gfx wise compared to WinUAE 08.8r8.

I have also tried the early alpha of WinFellow but failed to get it loading up ADF's into a 16bit 800x600 or have sound either-I got all sorts of squashed letterboxed screens but thats it...

Although I can understand Exodus's frustration's re WinUAE it does seem like the heart of the problem(s), lie in each person's different system.

Owning a Celeron 266 myself(on Win98), I'm realistic-it's old & I shouldn't expect any future WinUAE's to run fast with all these extra features-even 08.14x series.
Whilst there are several "ports" of WinUAE out there the programmers are obviously designing versions with faster PC's in mind-hence those mentioning their Win2K or XP monsters are motoring along without problems.

Then there's the issue of emulating the later AGA chipsets & other such features too. In an ideal world, a programmer who'd won lotto with a lot of free time on their hands might ask the WinUAE guys for the source code of WinUAE 08.8r8 & do a largely complete version for people who just enjoy playing old A500/600 games for a speedy emulator on older PC's.

When someone just looks at the specs on paper of a machine designed in the mid-eighties & with an 8Mhz 68000 & a few custom chips & 4096 colours, it's easy to think that a 400Mhz PC with TNT or GEforce or something with millions of colours should handle it with ease.

But the reality is for the extra features above & beyond the original intention's (the "save state" feature for WinUAe), it sadly means they'll be developing for the Win2K/XP with improved features of those speedier OS's & machines to handle these additions.
Old 26 September 2001, 16:39   #29
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
I have also tried the early alpha of WinFellow but failed to get it loading up ADF's into a 16bit 800x600 or have sound either-I got all sorts of squashed letterboxed screens but thats it...
Try the attached config. Remember to change the kickstart rom path. N.B. Winfellow takes longer to load adf files.

Removed Config

Last edited by Ian; 21 October 2001 at 02:19.
Old 27 September 2001, 11:21   #30
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
IanCharge is no more, can't you read
Why change your name? And did you get RCK to do it for you? I would guess your request came to him through PM.

Quote:
It's Second edition, but be under no illusions Marz, it's still shit. If you can get Windows 2000 use that or wait until XP comes out as WinUAE runs as smooth as silk on that bitch
You've gotta be shitting with moi, correct? We've already gone through how appalling XP is gonna end up, and Windows 2000 isn't designed to just play games! It's more for the business suits out there, like NT was!
Old 27 September 2001, 14:54   #31
RCK
Administrator

Windows 2000 is now a great OS for both dev (business) & for games (Full DirectX support).

If any of you would like to change (or evolve) his nickname, just send me one PM, you don't have to create one new account for it.
Old 27 September 2001, 14:58   #32
Amigaboy

bleh

2000 is extreme ownage of all other Windows versions if you ask me

When I moved from 9x to 2000, I was amazed. There's no way of turning back

Of course, I'm a developer, so games aren't really my thing (although, I do enjoy the occasional game......Madden NFL 2002 rocks! )

Old 27 September 2001, 15:07   #33
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Win2000 Rocks

But I can't wait to get WindowsXP. I've seen it on a mates PC and it looks really awesome. At last Microsoft might just have got an OS right (though the look has been ripped off MacOS and BeOS). It looks great and it hasn't crashed on him yet. Anyway I know it's a bit off topic but I'm really into the Return to Castle Wolfenstein beta test demo. It's really amazing. We play it over the network where I work with about 30 of us playing. It's great fun.
Old 27 September 2001, 18:54   #34
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
Why change your name? And did you get RCK to do it for you? I would guess your request came to him through PM.
I haven't changed my name, it's always been Ian since the day I was born

I became increasing annoyed with my nickname, it was a joke when I first signed up to Godflesh's board and guess what, I was slightly worse for wares, due to alcohol poisoning, I wasn't planning on sticking around back then so it didn't really matter.

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
You've gotta be shitting with moi, correct? We've already gone through how appalling XP is gonna end up, and Windows 2000 isn't designed to just play games! It's more for the business suits out there, like NT was!
Windows XP is shite in so many security ways, but as far as actually running programs, games and more importantly for us emulation, it is the dog's dangly bits.
Old 22 October 2001, 21:47   #35
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I agree totally with Exodus, WinUAE has gotten worse and worse ever since Brian King took over development. As was noted, it's mainly the Windoze-specific parts that are buggy, these are the bits Brian is responsible for. :-(

I use WinUAE 0.8.8R9, it's the best version yet. If anyone wants me to post this, just yell. But I would not say that ANY version of WinUAE is stable, they are all quite prone to crash at any time for no reason, even when you are not doing anything with it.

JIT doesn't work at all on my machine, and trying to load a saved state results in an instant crash. So the two main "improvements" since 0.8.8 don't work. The only decent thing to happen in the last few years has been 68040 emulation.
Old 23 October 2001, 03:22   #36
Exodus

Thanks Minouous! I always use WinUAE 0.8.8R8 for 100% proper emulation, but I haven't tried 0.8.8R9 yet. What changes does it have over 0.8.8R8? Also post 0.8.8R9 if you have the chance.

Exodus
Old 23 October 2001, 07:23   #37
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I don't know what the differences are between R8 and R9. Presumably it would be bugfixes. The docs seem to be the R8 docs, but the program itself is definitely R9. Although every version of WinUAE has the propensity to shut itself down at any time for no apparent reason. On my system, at least.

I've posted it in the ADF Zone for everyone to enjoy.
Old 23 October 2001, 15:14   #38
RCK
Administrator

This WinUAE release is uploaded to the zone every two months ...
I have make it permanent now, cause it is a very usefull download.
Old 25 October 2001, 08:13   #39
Exodus

Minous, you state that you're a programmer. How much do you know about Amiga hardware?

Exodus
Old 30 October 2001, 21:57   #40
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

A reasonable amount. I mostly program through the official system libraries rather than banging the metal though.

Did you have a specific question about Amiga hardware?