English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 April 2020, 22:48   #1
stevelord

Webcams

Hi,

I'd like to try and use CU SeeMe and try a few other things with webcams on the Amiga. I've been looking at options and it seems that Connectix Quickcams might be the way to go.

I was wondering if anyone here ever used a non-USB webcam on the Amiga, if so what and with what software?

I was also wondering if the Connectix Color QuickCam 2 might be a good model to get?
Old 23 April 2020, 23:30   #2
Pyromania

Will you be watching and joining jennicam on it?
Old 24 April 2020, 02:05   #3
stevelord

Sadly I'm 17 years too late, but I was planning on using the cam to stream an image of the amiga playing modtunes on the youtube amiga radio show I'm building.
Old 24 April 2020, 04:04   #4
Pyromania

It’s a good question you have Stevelord, it would be interesting to know if any modern webcams work.
Old 24 April 2020, 22:10   #5
stevelord

Poseidon supports some webcam devices, and from what I can find old Olympus cams used a common "PhotoPC" framework that can have stuff pulled down.

Unfortunately Poseidon isn't an option for me as I'd have to get an X-Surf before the Rapid Road and that conflicts with my ZZ9000. If I wouldn't be running before walking I'd look into the possibility of adding ZZ9000 USB support for Poseidon. Maybe once I find a CC I'm comfortable with and have written a few other tools.

I saw an article by Karl Jeacle about ACuSeeMe and emailed him to see if he remembers what webcam he used. I was thinking if I can get this working I can set up a permanent reflector and host a semi-regular meetup if anyone's interested.
Old 24 April 2020, 22:13   #6
Daedalus

Back in the day (late in Amiga terms but still ~20 years ago) I used VHIStudio, a PCI TV card and a standard video camera as a webcam setup. It worked well, though over a 56k dial-up connection it was more seconds-per-frame than frames-per-second. I vaguely remember there were a few cameras with serial ports that could be used directly, but can't remember any specifics. There were sometimes articles in magazines at the time about it.
Old 28 April 2020, 05:41   #7
Hewitson

Even if you did somehow manage to get this working, the results are going to be poor. I'd suggest a capture card, instead.
Old 28 April 2020, 17:51   #8
E-Penguin
Banana

You could build your own out of something like this hooked up to the serial port, and save the resultant image file to a JPG and stream than off the Amiga (or save to shared drive via samba, etc)

https://www.adafruit.com/product/397