English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 June 2009, 12:02   #21
Sensi
Unregistered User

Shoonay, probably, PROBABLY

And it was released in 1992 for SNES !

Stop this pain now please, ALL, and not horror.
Old 06 June 2009, 20:57   #22
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
You must read between the lines.
For instance, when something is written IN THE VIDEO'S DESCRIPTION BOX, it probably means it describes THE VIDEO THAT YOU ARE CURRENTLY WATCHING.

But I know, it's too hard to understand, so let me translate that:

"(THIS IS A VIDEO ABOUT) The Lost Vikings ((released in the year) 1993, (made by) Silicon & Synapse) (which) is one of my favorite games for the Super Nintendo, but I first played it on my Commodore Amiga."

Doesn't relly matter how much you clearify.... a game can exist on tons of consoles and just because someone's fav game on snes happens to be TLV, doesn't mean he recorded that version.... he didn't say he liked the snes version the most, only that among the games he have played for snes, the lost vikings were one of the best ones... an example: my fav game on the c64 is batman the movie.... but if I recorded a movie, I would record the amiga version as I like that one the most.

So really, give it up, Shoonay. There were not enough info in his comment that said what version he recorded...
Old 06 June 2009, 21:01   #23
mattbarton.exe

Wow! I'm sorry guys, didn't realize it was confusing. However, I have added to the description so hopefully it is clear now. I guess Tomator must have been at work confusing the lost Amigans!
Old 06 June 2009, 21:31   #24
Shoonay
Global Caturator

@IC: Well, for me it was enough, and funny, because it appeared it was the version I thought it was...
Great work at taking the bait, btw!

@matt: don't worry about it Matt, IC is always confused about everything
He's our "special" friend

Last edited by Shoonay; 06 June 2009 at 21:36.
Old 06 June 2009, 23:24   #25
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
Wow! I'm sorry guys, didn't realize it was confusing. However, I have added to the description so hopefully it is clear now. I guess Tomator must have been at work confusing the lost Amigans!
Matt, the info was good as it was , and not confusing at all for most people, except "special" ones like me :P. I mean, there actually was no info in the text about what version you recorded, but ofc using common sense it could be the snes version (still no proof anywhere). I just wanted to prove to Shoonay that what version it is in the video is not mentioned.... but he just keeps saying it's in the info :P.. meh, silly Shoonay (or Sogay like we like to call him.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
@IC: Well, for me it was enough, and funny, because it appeared it was the version I thought it was...
Great work at taking the bait, btw!

@matt: don't worry about it Matt, IC is always confused about everything
He's our "special" friend
You know I like to debate/argue like this , especially when I know I'm right :P, so bait or not, you got pwnd by my awesome logic.. and stuff...

Yeah, I'm special as my brain is so incredible complex, making me not think like normal people..... I can interpret stuff in many ways cuz of my complex thinking :P. I like to think that I'm the one who sees the world for what it is, sort of like in the Matrix... while the rest are blind and one-way-minded
Old 06 June 2009, 23:31   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
I like to think that I'm the one who sees the world for what it is, sort of like in the Matrix... while the rest are blind and one-way-minded
Agent Smith, we got another one
Old 06 June 2009, 23:40   #27
extralife

lol better watch your step among hardcore amigans matt
anyways indeed the lost vikings is a little jewel and, I think it's a game that maybe got a little, well lost lol, but imho it's not up there with the other games on your list and I personally don't see what it's doing there, since it by no means broke any new grounds or set any new standards, but it is indeed a well made and fun game, regardless of platform and I like it as much as the next guy, just my 2 cents
Old 07 June 2009, 00:37   #28
mattbarton.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
but imho it's not up there with the other games on your list and I personally don't see what it's doing there, since it by no means broke any new grounds or set any new standards, but it is indeed a well made and fun game, regardless of platform and I like it as much as the next guy, just my 2 cents
That's more or less why it's on there--just a fun game that happens to be one of my favorites, and a lot of people requested it. I think people get tired of hearing about the same classics all the time, so throwing in something that doesn't usually make the list can be nice for a change.

I've been tempted to do Alien Fires just because it's a game I loved as a kid that everybody else seems to hate.

I'm thinking about doing Scorched Earth next. I definitely put some hours into that. Only problem is that it's hard to say which of those artillery games was the most influential...so many...The genre literally goes all the way back to the first computers - many of which were designed precisely to calculate for real-life artillery range tables. But I'd say probably the biggest two I know about are Scorched Earth and Worms, with lots of lesser known gems in there like Artillerus, Scorched Tanks, and even arguably the ol' Weather War (Koronus) and Gravity Wars. I wrote an article about them back in the day: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/427

Then again, I've gotten lots of requests for Legacy of the Ancients, so might have to tackle it. Good thing about this show is I'll never run out of games to talk about!
Old 07 June 2009, 01:41   #29
Ironclaw
Banned

Ahhhh, Scorched Tanks, played it for many many hours against friends in my youth... such a fun game... wouldn't mind playing it again now, but got no Amiga friends living near... all buddies near only like the latest shit.... meh, CURSE THEM ALL!..... retro ftw!
Old 07 June 2009, 01:47   #30
mattbarton.exe

That's basically my problem, Ironclaw. The only gamer friend I have spends 100% of his gameplaying time in WoW. Kinda lame trying to play with my dual x-arcade by myself! :P

On the plus side, I have the time to make Matt Chats.
Old 07 June 2009, 01:50   #31
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
On the plus side, I have the time to make Matt Chats.
Yeah, and don't you stop doing that, they are interesting to watch

Do one on Moonstone, it's like the best game ever
Old 07 June 2009, 03:50   #32
mattbarton.exe

Moonstone? I haven't played that one, but will add it to my list. I love trying out new games!

What did you guys think about the format of the PLATO matt chat? I thought it was neat to talk about more than one game, but I don't want to dilute it too much. Still, it might be a fun way to cover similar titles like the Cinemaware games. I've already covered Defender, but there are still plenty of others...I was totally addicted to KoC back in the day. Still love the concept. Years ahead of Rockstar's stuff.

There are a few Amiga games that I simply must get to at some point, though I want to mix it up so that I'm not too repetitive. I've been trying to cover all sorts of different platforms. Mindwalker, Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer all come to mind.

Of other platforms...Maybe I should try to do Dungeons of Daggorath, Tunnels of Doom, or Temple of Apshai at some point. I should probably ask you guys for a favor, though. I really want to cover "Deja Vu" and some of the other ICOM simulation games. However, there's a problem. I can't find the original Mac games anywhere. Keep in mind that they originated on the classic Mac, not the Apple IIgs or the Amiga. However, I'll be damned if I can find anything about them. If you have info about obtaining a legal Mac rom of these games, please email me at matt at armchairarcade dot com. I don't mind paying, but might need help getting it up and running via emulation.

I've also had lots of requests to do Zork, but I have to admit--how could I do that on video? If anyone has ideas in that regard, please let me know. I don't think it would be much fun just looking at text on a screen. I guess I could hit up the wife to do some artwork...She is about to graduate with a degree in sculpture!

Anyway, please keep the comments coming. I love talking about this stuff.
Old 07 June 2009, 05:26   #33
extralife

I liked that PLATO episode alot and i have to say i was a little impressed on that rpg u showed, looked like a very early version of EOB kinda
Ooh man king of chicago, i remember it very well and i remember having a r/w error on one of the disks so i never finished it infact I had the same thing happening with the notorious It Came From the Desert lol, best b-movie game ever made btw and there even was an expansion pack pure awesomeness
About Zork, to be fair, it probly do deserve the matt treatment, I personaly never got into text adventures back then, but it's true that many people love these games indeed and from the sound of it, that's going to be an interesting episode
Old 07 June 2009, 08:00   #34
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Moonstone? I haven't played that one, but will add it to my list. I love trying out new games!
You really should Matt Moonstone (while being a bit gory ) is really an interesting and non-standard game. Also lot of fun involved, especially with more than one player.
Old 07 June 2009, 11:30   #35
Ironclaw
Banned

Mmmm, check this video: [ Show youtube player ]

It doesn't include all stuff though.

Last edited by Ironclaw; 07 June 2009 at 11:43.
Old 08 June 2009, 04:30   #36
mattbarton.exe

Wow! That game looks pretty scary. That big troll with the club will give me nightmares tonight.

It reminds me a bit of Deathsword (aka Barbarian).
Old 08 June 2009, 04:38   #37
laffer
Zone Friend

It's a fantastic game, I think an episode about that would be great.

A *lot* of Amiga owners know that game by heart, I think it deserves a review
Old 08 June 2009, 08:30   #38
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
A *lot* of Amiga owners know that game by heart, I think it deserves a review
I can only second that Think of Barbarian with many different enemies (which means fighting tactics), some RPG elements and upto 4 players at once. Damn fine game for sure
Old 13 June 2009, 18:45   #39
mattbarton.exe

Hi, guys, I know it isn't Moonstone, but hopefully you will still like this week's episode: Lode Runner.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 June 2009, 22:19   #40
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Again a nice one Matt Really nice to see that you put so much time into MattChat and give us a new vid every week
Being the Amiga nerd that I am, I have to mention that you should have a look at P. P. Hammer And His Pneumatic Weapon (http://hol.abime.net/1129). There are some elements borrowed from Lode Runner (most notably the 'digging' part) in this one.