English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 31 December 2008, 02:07   #21
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Yep, I did read your post, but don't worry - it's nothing a little hacking won't fix!
You're sure? Well I have two of these here, so if you succeed in fixing the lag drop me a note
P.S. : Yup, 'tis was a nice evening and I'm on 'the edge' again...
Old 31 December 2008, 03:29   #22
pubzombie

hi again.
i cant even search for the games on my amiga classix diamond edition cd!!! it will install on other peoples winxp or win2000 machines, but not on either of my vista machines, it warns me its virused and to perhaps use the NCRC command promt???? what is this? all i want to do is get the games off the disk and put em on my miggy FC. the actual cd only seems to contain a set up file and no root of adf images so installing the latest front end aint gonna work i dont think?
cheers guys
Old 31 December 2008, 09:45   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If there is only one big setup file and no folders, you have to install the CD on an 2000/XP machine and then search in the folder where you installed the frontend for the ADFs. Put them on an USB stick or burn them on CD to transfer them to your Vista machine. Really a great idea to sell this CD in 2008 without a big 'Warning doesn't work on Vista' sticker
Old 31 December 2008, 16:05   #24
extralife

Umm I think u missed a point here pubzombie, from what im seeing u want to boot of the flash adapter that u slammed into the side and thats not gonna happen, u use that nifty piece of flashy on the outside for moving files from pc<=>amiga
U need to get a ide-flash adapter inside of your amiga to put on your ide´ port to use as a harddrive or u can get a harddrive in there instead your choice, but be warned of the 2gb limit, thats why i said the internal flash adapter+2g flashcard would be a smarter choice and more silent and bla bla bla
Once u installed one of the above inside your amiga u need to install your os3.1 (later u might want to consider getting classicwb, it supports all your needs m8) onto that drive, making it your "system" drive, then all u need to do, is install the drivers u got for the outside flash adapter and u are moving files like a pro
Now let's get one thing straight right now, u need six beers for this fact, your a1200 will "NEVER" be a500 compatible, "EVER", so start downing those beers m8, thats why we use the nifty little program called whdload and all the installs that the friendly folks out here have created that fixes a ton of problems and makes all the games run from your harddrive
U are not all lost right now though, u can as far as I remember, boot from the driver install disk u got from amigakit for your outside flashadapter and use the adf-transfer program on that disk to throw adf's from your flash card back to an empty amiga floppy, that way u can probly play some games from your floppy drive (like paradroid)
phew that was an awfull lot of words, hope it helps u get startet
happy new years from denmark guys
Old 31 December 2008, 16:22   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@extralife
Indeed a big number of words, but I think really good ones This should help getting pubzombie started (or at least give him an idea what to ask for )
Happy New Year for you too
Old 31 December 2008, 17:32   #26
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
yay happy new amiga for the new year, all you problems are sorted or just starting depending on your perspective

anyhow hi pubzombie and welcome

get a hd or cf-card adapter in that a1200 though i think you will find its a 4gig barririer and not 2gig that gas been said before, either way its plenty to be getting on with

oh and some 1 missed the min requirements for Amiga Classix Diamond Edition + Competition Pro USB Joystick
which is Windows ME/2000/XP hahahahah vista not supporeted lets hope its a trend

ribbits for now and 2 ever 1 4 the new year
Old 31 December 2008, 18:02   #27
pubzombie

Hi again, Thanx for your help guys. I seem to have a lot of work to do. So i started by paying to register a copy of whdload and will order a hard disk from amigakit on Friday. i will also look into getting a flash adapter thingy. if there is anything else you think i neede to know just yell.
cheers
pub x
Old 31 December 2008, 18:06   #28
extralife

yes cosmicfrog, I know the barrier is 4gig, but I kept running into trouble myself with the os installer if I made one 4gig partition thats why I narrowed it down lol. no reason to make it more complicated and needing to partition drives from start untill one get the hang of it thats all. cheers
Old 31 December 2008, 18:28   #29
pubzombie

ok so i also need memory expansion? which is best ? should i also get an accelorator at the same time? sorry to hassle you guys but i seem to have forgoten so much since microsoft and intel took over the world.
HAPPY NEW YEAR AMIGA AMIGOS

PS there are amiga 600's with hard disks and ram going very cheap for spares and repairs on ebay, are they worth getting?
Old 31 December 2008, 18:43   #30
extralife

An accelerator with memory on, u won't regret it . How fast though is your choice to make though, coz it really depends on how far u want to go, but I have a feeling most people here will tell u to stay clear of 040 though, for your a1200 needs.
060 is cool, but it will cost a downpayment of a house and 030 they say is compatible and fast as well and its actually affordable.
I'm using a blizzard 1260-50 myself and have never regretted the money spend on it, on the other hand I never owned a 030 so.... but if gaming was all i needed i would not go for the king myself
Old 31 December 2008, 19:48   #31
ign

Hi all. Shamelessly making use of your mail I'll also introduce myself O:-)

I've always loved the Amiga, but could never had one. Then, recently I decided to buy a refurbished 1200 from Amigakit and now I am in the memory/accelerator phase

In my limited experience, WHDLOAD is a must because it allow games/demos to run in any Amiga from the HD, the problem is: it needs RAM. The 2Mb chip included in the 1200 are simply not enough when using it.

About expanding the Amiga: please take my words this with extreme caution as I am also a newbie

If you are only interested in the classic games I would say that the cheapest would be a memory expansion (8 Mb is the max AFAIK). I have a Blizzard 1220 turboboard with 8Mb and every classic game I've tried just works. But I mostly want my Amiga to watch demos, and most modern ones require more memory (and CPU).

IMO, the most sensible option would be a accelerator with a 68030 and 32Mb. That should run everything. But personally I got lucky and now I have a second-hand Blizzard 1260 with 16 Mb (a 128 Mb SIMM is coming ) at a reasonable price, but I was lucky as they are hard to find, and wildly expensive...

I would say that the easiest way to see how much mem do you need is to use WinUAE with 2/8/32/128Mb and see if the games you are interested in work there...
Old 31 December 2008, 20:45   #32
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
An accelerator with memory on, u won't regret it . How fast though is your choice to make though, coz it really depends on how far u want to go, but I have a feeling most people here will tell u to stay clear of 040 though, for your a1200 needs.
060 is cool, but it will cost a downpayment of a house and 030 they say is compatible and fast as well and its actually affordable.
I'm using a blizzard 1260-50 myself and have never regretted the money spend on it, on the other hand I never owned a 030 so.... but if gaming was all i needed i would not go for the king myself

yes gaming is my first passion so what accelerator is best? i would also consider putting my miggy on my network but for now i want to buy a HDD and expansions before life gobbles up my christmas money.

the geek will inherit the earth
Old 01 January 2009, 00:34   #33
extralife

What ign said is mostly my oppinion aswell ,030 with 16 or 32mb which ever u can get your hands on. I would find it strange if no one in here would have something lying around
Old 01 January 2009, 19:01   #34
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
What ign said is mostly my oppinion aswell ,030 with 16 or 32mb which ever u can get your hands on. I would find it strange if no one in here would have something lying around

ok if anybody wants to sell anything PM me or post.

I got all the adf files off my diamond classix disk. It has the Amiga version of Chaos on there. Its only one of my fave ever games so i am happy pity we cant network a game and all play each other. i also forgot how bloody hard Paradroid 90 is. I remember my old atari joystick ended up with teeth marks in it. the atari st version is so much easier! wonder why?
pub
Old 02 January 2009, 12:01   #35
pubzombie

ok i am ready to start spending - just checked my account and want to go to amigakit.co.uk
any more advice is welcome
cheers
Old 02 January 2009, 20:55   #36
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Wow! I've got to get me one of those! ... £12.99 at play.com ( http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/645953...k/Product.html )
Ordered it!
Just checked... It's on it's way!
Old 02 January 2009, 23:17   #37
pubzombie

Quote:
Just checked... It's on it's way!
play chaos its great. but i cant get it work on my miggy1200 only under emulation. i think it way be something to do with not having the right OS so needs to be run with a whdload thingy
Old 02 January 2009, 23:28   #38
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
play chaos its great. but i cant get it work on my miggy1200 only under emulation. i think it way be something to do with not having the right OS so needs to be run with a whdload thingy
Hey pubzombie,

Thanks for that. You've obviously used this Amiga Classix/Competition Pro combo a fair bit. Do you have anything to add to the report of lousy microswitches and lag experienced by TheCyberDruid above? If this is a common problem, I shall be attempting a fix. More from me about this when I get mine (sometime next week, probably ).

prowler
Old 02 January 2009, 23:37   #39
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@prowler
It isn't only me that has this problem. You can ask Retro-Nerd about it too We had a discussion about it some time ago, but I can't find the thread now
Old 03 January 2009, 00:05   #40
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
@prowler
It isn't only me that has this problem. You can ask Retro-Nerd about it too We had a discussion about it some time ago, but I can't find the thread now
Thanks TCD, I'll ask him. ...And I'll try to find the thread myself in the meantime.