English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 23 June 2006, 18:34   #1
Da Rush
Zone Friend

parallel link cable?

Right as some of you know, i have been lookin to learn about how the hell to connect my amiga to the pc for the use of downloading adf games.
a few of u gave me some good advice and ive finaly decided to go with the parallel link cable option, wich for what i can gather is the easiest way the go about it being as tho i do not want to store loadz of data, i just want it for just a few games.
but all this being said i still have a few questions, if somebody could help me out please

1 what drivers would i need for the pc and the amiga

2 i heard that i need kickstart 2.0 or above, how would i go about purchassing that and why? as i only have kickstart 1.3

3 is there any chance some1 could put up a link to a step by step guide of how to make this opption work.

4 any other info or on THIS option would be well recived.

5 PLEASE nobody try to present me with anyother opptions about how to go about this, as every time somebody does they only confuse me and im back to square 1.
The only exeption to this is that if some1 can see that im making a serrious error in judgment, then please let me know.
if people can only give me usefull information about this option it would be far easier for my head to get around and i would realy apreachiate that cheers
Old 23 June 2006, 19:04   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Never one for following instructions, I really advise against parallel as I tried it and found it slooooooow.... Go for a PCMCIA ethernet link. Use Miami and AmiFTP on Amiga side and any FTP server on PC side (I use ServU)

Sorry to confuse you but I think you would regret parallel...
Old 23 June 2006, 19:18   #3
Da Rush
Zone Friend

cheers m8, but im still gonna stick with this as its the only option i feel confident with, the other things that u mention, i dont know what they are and plus i dont know how to make them work (like ive said on a previous post im thick)well at least when it comes to things to do with the amiga, and also as u say it may go slow, but that does'nt bother me 1 bit as ive looked on a database and theres only about 10-15 game's on there that i actualy want, and after that,thats me fineshed with it, so im guessing that once ive got the equipment all i will need to do is just set it up for a day and get it all whacked off (and im not botherd if it takes the whole day it will be worth it )

but still if any1 has any info as sated on my first post would be well recived.
Old 25 June 2006, 20:08   #4
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rush
but still if any1 has any info as sated on my first post would be well recived.
AmigaExplorer (almost 20 $ from Cloanto) did the job nicely in my case. It works with all kickstarts versions including 1.3. The only thing I had to do was to get the right cable. I printed the graphics of its web with the specifications and went with it to my nearest conectors shop, where they built it in a couple of days. Worth the waiting! as it worked flawlessly from the very first round! Installing the required drivers in an Amiga WB disk was a bit tricky, but you only need to follow carefully once the on-screen instructions on the PC side.
Old 26 June 2006, 14:23   #5
Da Rush
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockersuke
AmigaExplorer (almost 20 $ from Cloanto) did the job nicely in my case. It works with all kickstarts versions including 1.3. The only thing I had to do was to get the right cable. I printed the graphics of its web with the specifications and went with it to my nearest conectors shop, where they built it in a couple of days. Worth the waiting! as it worked flawlessly from the very first round! Installing the required drivers in an Amiga WB disk was a bit tricky, but you only need to follow carefully once the on-screen instructions on the PC side.
nice 1 man, thanks for the help, thats exactly what i needed to hear
and also can any1 post me u some good links to databases which hole the adf games please

cheers
Old 26 June 2006, 14:45   #6
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Amiga explorer works with a null modem serial cable or a tcp/ip connection, not with the parallel link cable.

Using tcp/ip on my pcmcia network card equipped A1200 I found dumping an adf direct to a floppy to not be that much faster then serial (limited by floppy speed), but transfering files to the 3.2GB HD on the 1200 was much faster.
Old 27 June 2006, 01:50   #7
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Installing Amiga Explorer is as easy as:

Connect NullModem cable to PC and Amiga
Run the AmigaForever installer to install AmigeExplorer
Start AmigaExplorer in Windows

You should after a while get a requester saying it's installed correctly.

Then you should get an icon somewhere named "AExplorer" on the Amiga (can't remember WHERE from the top of my head, might be sys:storage/dosdrivers)

Edit the tooltypes of this icon, I set mine to 115.200 (57.600 might be a better option, depending on your preferred serial port. I used my SurfSquirrel's port )
then rightclick AmigaExplorer on Wincomputer, properties and set speed to the same as on the Amiga.

From now on, just start Aexplorer on the Amiga before running it on the Windowscomputer, and it should work fine.
Old 29 June 2006, 20:37   #8
Da Rush
Zone Friend

what an idiot i must be, all the thort process that ive gone through on this and now the equipments arrived i get stumped on the first hurdle and the rest of the hurdles lol, 1 i thort that i was geting a serial cable that connected to a 9 prong com port and it truns out that i get a paralell cable witch the connectors have 25 prongs on both ends, witch of corse works perfictly fine in the parralel port on the amiga but the only place it fits on the pc side is in a port that has a symbol that looks like a printer. so im guessing that this is'nt going to work at all.
and to boot the cd that came with the wole package had the winmau or whatever its called program and ive tryed installing it onto the pc and it when i click on the icon after installiation it does nothing, and also the the program that came for the amiga side doesnt install to my hd even though it got the icons to do it all it says is unable to open your tool 'iconx' not that it maters realy after all, the hardware wont even conect, well i guess im basicly screwd what a waste of cash, especialy as ive just found out that im gettin kicked out of home tomorow and therefore wont even have access to a pc at least i can take my trusty amiga with the games that ive already got with me, so fuck it HAPPY DAY'S eh
Old 29 June 2006, 21:11   #9
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Is it this one you bought? Amiga PC Network.
Old 01 July 2006, 13:15   #10
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

DaRush,

If it's a serial cable then you can get a 25-9 pin adapter to make your 25 pin cable fit into a 9 pin port on your PC. Is this what you are after???
Old 02 July 2006, 01:20   #11
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
what an idiot i must be, all the thort process that ive gone through on this and now the equipments arrived i get stumped on the first hurdle and the rest of the hurdles lol, 1 i thort that i was geting a serial cable that connected to a 9 prong com port and it truns out that i get a paralell cable witch the connectors have 25 prongs on both ends, witch of corse works perfictly fine in the parralel port on the amiga but the only place it fits on the pc side is in a port that has a symbol that looks like a printer. so im guessing that this is'nt going to work at all.
and to boot the cd that came with the wole package had the winmau or whatever its called program and ive tryed installing it onto the pc and it when i click on the icon after installiation it does nothing, and also the the program that came for the amiga side doesnt install to my hd even though it got the icons to do it all it says is unable to open your tool 'iconx' not that it maters realy after all, the hardware wont even conect, well i guess im basicly screwd what a waste of cash, especialy as ive just found out that im gettin kicked out of home tomorow and therefore wont even have access to a pc at least i can take my trusty amiga with the games that ive already got with me, so fuck it HAPPY DAY'S eh
First of all: The "printer" port on the PC IS parallellport.

Then..... you should be running Win95/98/ME and use "PC2Amiga" from Aminet to use a parallell cable. WinNT/2000/XP is icky to set up to use the par-cable, IMO. (yes I've tried, no matter what I do, it won't work for me).

As for IconX.... that should be located in your C: drawer on your (amiga) hard-drive. You can also open a shell window (when running AmigaOS2 and above, press R-Amiga+E and type "newshell" in the popup) then cd to where the installscript is (e.g. "cd CD0:install/drawer) then type "execute <name of install-script>" and there you should be able togo.
Old 02 July 2006, 15:55   #12
Da Rush
Zone Friend

right first, Lopos that is the exact same package ive got even from the same person as well.
cheers jasby i didnt realise or even think that i could get hold of such a thing so thanks for that man
and doc the bad news is, i am running on xp so do u not think that it is going to be worth bothering with then m8?
Old 02 July 2006, 16:14   #13
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Maybe you have to enable the printer ports in your bios. Have a look in the device manager in XP. You can see which ports are enabled.
Old 03 July 2006, 11:32   #14
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
and doc the bad news is, i am running on xp so do u not think that it is going to be worth bothering with then m8?
you could try this..... I've tried it myself, but couldn't get it to work.... but then, I already a multiboot Win98/WinXP so I just didn't bother too much
Old 06 July 2006, 18:52   #15
Da Rush
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie
you could try this..... I've tried it myself, but couldn't get it to work.... but then, I already a multiboot Win98/WinXP so I just didn't bother too much

ive had a look at the link and it looks usefull i would ask u about the multiboot but it sounds like a whole new batch of head balgage so i wont bother lol
Old 07 July 2006, 19:38   #16
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Multiboot only works if you have LESS than 1 GB (if you have 1 GB, W98 won't boot).

BUT.
Step one: Format your HD's to FAT32 (so Win98 can use them)
Step two: Install Win98
Step three: Install WinXP on a DIFFERENT HD (or partition)

Step three is required so WinXP doesn't mess with your Win98 "Program files" folder, and vice versa. And make sure to install 98 FIRST, otherwise the bootmanager of WinXP can and likely will be overwritten and (even more) dysfuntional