English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 July 2010, 14:29   #1
JuvUK

A1200 Df0???

good afternoon all,

Anyone have any idea why an A1200 with a 1D4 board would report DF0 as DF0??? when a disk is inserted? tried swapping drives no change, i don't think it's the floppy controller as the external drive DF1 works just fine.

when you insert a disk both drives that have been tried sound right but neither have read the disks, the cable on the wrong way turns the drive light on permanently does it? i seem to remember the DF0??? icon would be on the workbench all the time as well?

any ideas guys?

cheers, JuvUK
Old 05 July 2010, 15:21   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Is this an Amiga Technologies motherboard? I'm not 100% familiar with motherboard revisions but that seems to be a Commodore one?

Is there a chance this is one of those motherboards which has had the Panasonic fix on the board and so only works with Panasonic JU-257A515P drives?

When Escom started producing Amiga's they couldn't buy Chinnon FZ-354 or 357 880Kbyte drives any more so they took a Panasonic JU-257A515P PC drive and changed a crystal and added a PCB adapter board to re-wire cable and move the RDY jumper to DC. Later versions of the motherboard don't need the adapter board. Problem is they only work with these modified Panasonic PC drives.

http://www.softpres.org/article:hard..._fdd_connector

Last edited by alexh; 05 July 2010 at 15:28.
Old 05 July 2010, 16:21   #3
JuvUK

@Alexh,
i belive it's a commodore board, i don't think it's a controller issue as the external drive (DF1) works flawlessly as a boot drive as well as a 2nd drive, i guess i could try a panasonic drive as the 2 that have been tried are Chinnon FZ-354's

thanks for your input, JuvUK
Old 05 July 2010, 17:45   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuvUK View Post
i don't think it's a controller issue as the external drive (DF1) works flawlessly as a boot drive
Ok so the FDC chips themselves aren't dead. What about a problem with the electronics between the FDC and the internal floppy disk cable?

Any resistors or wiring between the FDC & floppy disk cable, the floppy disk cable itself and or the power cable.

You can hear the drive spinning when a disk is inserted so power is probably ok.

Try a different cable?

Last edited by alexh; 05 July 2010 at 17:51.
Old 07 July 2010, 12:02   #5
Jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Is this an Amiga Technologies motherboard? I'm not 100% familiar with motherboard revisions but that seems to be a Commodore one?

Is there a chance this is one of those motherboards which has had the Panasonic fix on the board and so only works with Panasonic JU-257A515P drives?

When Escom started producing Amiga's they couldn't buy Chinnon FZ-354 or 357 880Kbyte drives any more so they took a Panasonic JU-257A515P PC drive and changed a crystal and added a PCB adapter board to re-wire cable and move the RDY jumper to DC. Later versions of the motherboard don't need the adapter board. Problem is they only work with these modified Panasonic PC drives.

http://www.softpres.org/article:hard..._fdd_connector
You are 100% correct sir. It shows it needs a wire going from Internal pin 34 to external pin 1, is this just so df1 works? DF1 already works so is this needed to get DF0 working. Not to bothered about DF1. Basically would I get away with just cutting the connection from pin 34 to pin 2 on the internal connection?

I have attached a photo and added red dots where I think the wire should go, juts need someone to confirm this is correct. I am not sure its needed though, I think just cutting the wire will get DF0 working with normal drives. But I could be wrong. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Last edited by Jimbo; 07 July 2010 at 12:09.
Old 07 July 2010, 12:28   #6
Jope
-

You figured right.
Old 07 July 2010, 14:02   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

I heard that the main problem with ESCOM Amigas and Panasonic drive is that some floppy games (and some hardware banging WHDLoad ripper install programs) won't work because DSKRDY signal is not available on the CIA.
Old 07 July 2010, 14:12   #8
Jimbo

yay, all done, Amiga now has a fully working Chinnon FZ-354 as DF0:

I just removed the wire, didnt attach it to other pin like in picture. DF0 now works fine and DF1 still works as normal. Happy bunny right here.

Thanks guys.
Old 07 July 2010, 15:30   #9
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
yay, all done, Amiga now has a fully working Chinnon FZ-354 as DF0:

I just removed the wire, didnt attach it to other pin like in picture. DF0 now works fine and DF1 still works as normal. Happy bunny right here.

Thanks guys.
Nice one Jimbo
Old 07 July 2010, 17:38   #10
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuvUK View Post
good afternoon all,

Anyone have any idea why an A1200 with a 1D4 board would report DF0 as DF0??? when a disk is inserted? tried swapping drives no change, i don't think it's the floppy controller as the external drive DF1 works just fine.

when you insert a disk both drives that have been tried sound right but neither have read the disks, the cable on the wrong way turns the drive light on permanently does it? i seem to remember the DF0??? icon would be on the workbench all the time as well?

any ideas guys?

cheers, JuvUK
I had a problem like this, turned out it was the switch sticking that detects if a disk is inserted.