English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 September 2017, 22:35   #41
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

South West Amiga Group Meeting No.5 - Sat 30th September 2017

About

The South West Amiga Group (SWAG) originally formed in December 1997. They met once a month in Bristol to discuss their favourite computer. The group continued in various forms until 2005 when the group disbanded.

In 2016, riding the wave of renewed interest in the platform, the group was resurrected, a new venue found and new events planned. The first meeting was held in May of that year, with follow-ups in September 16, January 17 and June 17. Following the success of these sessions, our next meeting is now planned.

SWAG embrace both classic and next generation machines, including all Amiga OS variants, MorphOS and AROS. This includes physical, emulated and FPGA based platforms. All are welcome – but remember … Only Amiga Makes it Possible

Meeting Details

We’ve arranged to hold our fifth SWAG meeting in the recently opened Swindon Makerspace - http://www.swindon-makerspace.org/ - a fully refurbished building perfect for those wishing to tinker with new and old Amiga hardware and software.

The date of the SWAG meeting is Saturday 30th September.

Although the meeting is due to begin at 12 noon, the pre-meet brunch has proved so popular at earlier sessions that it now forms part of the day itself.

11:00am - 12 noon - Brunch at the greasy spoon next door to the venue

12noon - 5:00pm - SWAG meeting at the Makerspace.

Cost - The costs of room hire for the first three meetings were paid for by a number of organisers. This couldn’t continue indefinitely, so from our fourth meeting onwards the costs have been set at £4 for adults. Under 18s are free. All room hire costs go back into the running and improvement of the venue.

The Swindon Makerspace can be found at Unit 34, BSS House, Cheyney Manor, Swindon

There is free parking on site, while the venue offers free Wifi plus tea and coffee making facilities.

Meeting Content - Amiga X5000 Demo

One of our members has been lucky enough to add a brand spanking new Amiga X5000 to his collection, and will be bringing it along to the meeting. If you wanted to see the fastest Amiga ever built now's your chance! We were hoping to run this session at the last meeting, but due to unforeseen circumstances we’ve had to delay it until this session.

Meeting Content - Amiga A3000 Video Toaster and AROS Demos

SWAG member Stephen Jones will be demonstrating these two pieces of kit over the course of the Saturday afternoon. If you wanted to see a Video Toaster in action, or to experience the delights of AROS, this will be right up your street.

Meeting Content - C64 Hardware Demonstrations

Mark Hewlett, C64 guru, will be running demonstrations of various bits of C64 hardware and software during the Saturday afternoon. Although Amiga makes it possible, we do like to give the C64 a bit of love when we get the chance.

Meeting Content - 5-Player Dynablaster Bomberman

It wouldn’t be a SWAG meet without Dynablaster. The 5 player deathmatches are now a staple part of our meetings!

For Further Information

If you’d like more information then please visit the official SWAG web site at http://www.southwestamiga.org.uk

You can also find us on:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/southwestamiga
Twitter - https://twitter.com/southwestamiga

And Finally

If you are planning on coming, please drop us an email to let us know. We need to get a rough idea of how many people to expect Also, if you’re planning on bringing any hardware (computers, screens etc.) then please detail that in your email.

SWAG can be contacted at: swag@southwestamiga.org.uk
Old 14 September 2017, 10:05   #42
andrewreader

Another SouthWest Amiga meet!

I've emailed. I'll be there.

I'll bring my Amiga 1200.

Since the last meet, I've purchased an Auto Joystick-Mouse switcher and an Iomega Parallel Zip Drive with the Amiga compatible dongle. And an 'Amiga' t-shirt from Amazon.
Old 29 September 2017, 16:05   #43
andrewreader

This is tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll take my camera along this time.
Old 04 October 2017, 13:58   #44
andrewreader

A quick unofficial rundown of meeting #5.

We had an Amiga 3000 there supporting the Video Toaster.

This was very well showcased with 2 cameras, 2 studio monitors and it was fun to use. I felt like I worked on an independent US TV Station in 1990.

We had 2 Amiga 1200s, An Amiga 1200 Tower, 2 Amiga 500s and an Amiga X5000.

I showcased a bit of Amiga Forever 2017 on a SFF PC

We has the engineer's station mending a BBC Micro, CDTV and almost giving Last Rites to an A500 Plus with battery leakage.

There was an Amiga Null Modem Hookup on Populous.

On my Amiga 1200, I had my joystick mouse switcher from Ebay that seemed to work rather well. You click the mouse button or joystick button to enable either. I showcased my Iomega Parallel Zip drive with the dongle which allows you to browse Zip disks as regular disks. And I had it hooked up to the internet via a PCMCIA - Ethernet card.

There was also some interest from outsiders that should have been taking their children to the nearby birthday party.

There was a great, enthusiastic crowd there and the event is more popular than ever.

I did take some photos. But there maybe official ones on the SWAG Facebook group.
Old 10 January 2018, 22:54   #45
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

SWAG Meet 6 - Saturday, January 27th 2018

About

The South West Amiga Group (SWAG) originally formed in December 1997. They met once a month in Bristol to discuss their favourite computer. The group continued in various forms until 2005 when the group disbanded.

In 2016, riding the wave of renewed interest in the platform, the group has been resurrected, a new venue found and new events planned. Our first meeting was held in May last year, with a follow-up meeting held in September and another in January 2017. Following the success of the first three sessions, further meetings have taken place.

SWAG embrace both classic and next generation machines, including all Amiga OS variants, MorphOS and AROS. This includes physical, emulated and FPGA based platforms. All are welcome – but remember … Only Amiga Makes it Possible.

You may notice a number of non-Amiga items in our session line-ups. Although we are an Amiga group we do allow and encourage members to bring along other kit as long as they also bring Amiga hardware with them.

Meeting Details

We’ve arranged to hold our sixth SWAG meeting in the recently opened Swindon Makerspace - http://www.swindon-makerspace.org/ - a fully refurbished building perfect for those wishing to tinker with new and old Amiga hardware and software.

The date of the sixth SWAG meeting is Saturday 27th January.

Although the meeting is due to begin at 12 noon, the pre-meet brunch has proved so popular at the first two meetings that it’s now part of the day itself.

12noon - 5:00pm - SWAG meeting at the Makerspace.

Following the success of the extended meeting session for meeting number three, the 5:00pm finish time remains.

Cost - The costs of room hire for the first three meetings were paid for by a number of organisers. Obviously, this can't continue indefinitely, so for this meeting onwards the costs are £4 for adults. Under 18s are free. All room hire costs go back into the running and improvement of the venue.

The Swindon Makerspace can be found at Unit 34, BSS House, Cheyney Manor, Swindon

There is free parking on site, while the venue offers free Wifi plus tea and coffee making facilities.

Meeting Content - Spectrum Next

With PCB only backers receiving their boards towards the end of 2017, we're pleased to announce the SWAG member Zeb, will be demonstrating a fully working Spectrum Next at our January meet.

Meeting Content - Multiplayer Bomberman

A regular at SWAG meets, and rightly so. Come and test your bombing skills against the SWAG regulars. This will be running on a Gotek equipped A500.

Other Bits

We’ll have a region modded / hz switched Megadrive with Everdrive cartridge at the event. Experience numerous classic Sega titles without PAL borders or crippled speed.

Zeb will be offering his repair and diagnostic services. So, if you have a sick Amiga then please bring it along!

Naturally, we’ll have numerous other Amiga set-ups at the event, so there will be lots for you to get your hands on.

Further meeting content to follow as we get closer to the January meet.

For Further Information

If you’d like more information then please visit the official SWAG web site at http://www.southwestamiga.org.uk

You can also find us on:

And Finally

If you are planning on coming, please drop us an email to let us know. We need to get a rough idea of how many people to expect Also, if you’re planning on bringing any hardware (computers, screens etc.) then please detail that in your email.

Last edited by roberthazelby; 10 January 2018 at 23:21.
Old 22 January 2018, 05:07   #46
fstltna
Indie Game Dev

Send a message via AIM to fstltna Send a message via Yahoo to fstltna
Posted in the event calendar at AmigaCity...
Old 04 February 2018, 17:24   #47
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstltna View Post
Posted in the event calendar at AmigaCity...
Many thanks for helping to promote our event.

Our January meeting was our biggest yet. We had 20 attendees and mountains of Amiga (and a few non Amiga) kit being repaired, upgraded or repaired.

Our next meeting is some time in June. Confirmed date wil be posted here soon.
Old 21 September 2018, 14:20   #48
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

SWAG Meet 8 - Saturday, September 29th 2018

Meeting Details

We’ve arranged to hold our eighth SWAG meeting at the Swindon Makerspace - http://www.swindon-makerspace.org/ - a fully refurbished building perfect for those wishing to tinker with new and old Amiga hardware and software.

Although the meeting is due to begin at 12 noon, the ever-popular pre-meet brunch begins in the greasy spoon next door from 11:00am

12 noon - 5:00pm - SWAG meeting at the Makerspace.

Cost - Costs are £4 for adults. Under 18s are free. All room hire costs go back into the running and improvement of the venue. Note that first time visitors get in free.

If you'd like to get an idea of what our meets are like take a look at the previous meet where 25 of us turned-up: [ Show youtube player ]

For Further Information

You can also find us on:

And Finally

Old 16 October 2018, 23:08   #49
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

JANUARY 26TH 2019 AMIGA MEET - "WORKBENCH 2019" - ALL WELCOME

11 hours of Amiga gaming, repairs, upgrading and with special guests! Make a weekend of it and join in the fun!

Moving away from our usual Swindon Makerspace venue for this one-off special meet, we’ll be holding it in the modern Doddington Parish Hall, Chipping Sodbury, just off junction 18 of the M4.

The venue has around 20 dedicated parking spaces right outside the main doors (with more at the back), wifi, and a kitchen. We have the entire venue to ourselves for the day. There is a takeaway a short walk away, which opens mid afternoon, and if there’s enough interest we could always order brunch in. Brief details of the venue can be found here: https://www.dodingtonpc.org.uk/servi...s/parish-hall/

We’ll have a very special guest for this meet in the form of the one and only Trevor Dickinson. Trevor will be over in this part of the world as he’s attending Amiga Ireland the weekend before, and will be visiting us, accompanied by Matthew Leaman of Amigakit. (Note that to keep room hire fees low and avoid the council charging us rates for traders, there won’t be a stand selling Amiga hardware / software).

A number of SWAG members have expressed an interest in staying in the area overnight, so you may want to join them and make a weekend of it.

We need to raise the funds for the room hire, which has to be paid in advance. To cover this, we are asking those who wish to attend, to pay £7 up front.

If you would like to attend, please respond to this thread. I will note down your names and be in touch in due course to collect your entrance fee via PayPal.

This has the makings of being a fantastic day long session, and could potentially see larger Amiga events organised if the interest is there.

Last edited by roberthazelby; 17 October 2018 at 23:53. Reason: Added date of event.
Old 17 October 2018, 22:00   #50
Marle
Pixel Vixen

I'd love to come! But it doesn't say when in January

I can bring along my A600 and all being well, A500 and A1200 too that I recently acquired, along with a good swag (hohohoho) of boxed Amiga games

I used to go to SWAG meets back in the late 90s so it'll be fun to go to one again!
Old 17 October 2018, 22:32   #51
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marle View Post
I'd love to come! But it doesn't say when in January
The Ireland meetup is 18-19th, so it looks like the weekend of 25th, 26th and 27th. I'd guess the 26th, being a Saturday, but I'm sure someone will fill in the details
Old 17 October 2018, 23:33   #52
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The Ireland meetup is 18-19th, so it looks like the weekend of 25th, 26th and 27th. I'd guess the 26th, being a Saturday, but I'm sure someone will fill in the details
Apologies. I was so keen to get the event promoted I missed off the date.

I’ve now added it. It’s Saturday 26th Januay 2019. Marle, could you PM me your name so I can add it the spreadsheet of names of people who say they want to attend, please? We’re almost at the break even point to cover room hire if everyone who says they’re interested pays.

As a fellow “original” SWAG member you’d be very welcome.
Old 20 October 2018, 19:14   #53
Psiq
Keen Collector

I will be travelling from the Forest Of Dean if anybody wants a lift
Old 11 November 2018, 14:16   #54
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Afternoon, just a quick bump to this thread. We've got a decent number of people attending, but we'd love it if we could get a few more people along to this all day event.

It's just outside Bristol, so easy to get to from the M4 and M5.
Old 12 November 2018, 01:53   #55
fstltna
Indie Game Dev

Send a message via AIM to fstltna Send a message via Yahoo to fstltna
I'm on the other side of the world, so as much as I would like to....
Old 12 November 2018, 10:04   #56
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Hi Robert,

I will be there! I am also going to go to Amiga Ireland the weekend before so I might be a bit on the tired side of things but looking forwards to it.

I'll try to bring one of my Amigas along

Vicky
Old 12 November 2018, 12:42   #57
Daedalus

Quote:
I am also going to go to Amiga Ireland the weekend before
Oh cool, I'll see you there!
Old 12 November 2018, 15:27   #58
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Oh cool, I'll see you there!
I'm really looking forwards to it and look forwards to meeting you! I've been enjoying the Amiga Ireland podcast for a little while now so I thought why not!
Old 23 January 2019, 09:00   #59
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Hi Robert,

I will be there! I am also going to go to Amiga Ireland the weekend before so I might be a bit on the tired side of things but looking forwards to it.

I'll try to bring one of my Amigas along

Vicky
You’ll be very welcome!

It’ll be great to hear about your tales of Amiga Ireland.

Did you get the email I sent you?
Old 14 February 2019, 12:12   #60
Beaknuke

Just want to post a big thank you to those who came to our Event, we written a follow up on our website and have just announced the next date of May 18th at Chipping Sodbury for the next meet. http://www.southwestamiga.org.uk