English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 September 2002, 05:27   #1
Unregistered

directory -> hard drive problem...

I'm trying to emulate a hard drive with a directory on WinUAE, but it's not working. The emulated hard drive shows up with the correct label, but it's always empty regardless of what files are in the directory. The behavior is the same with both WB 1.3 and 3.1, and with WinUAE 0.8.22R1 and an earlier version whose version number I can't recall (I think it was 0.8.21*), so I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong here. Anyone know what it is?

Old 29 September 2002, 06:04   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

When you say it's empty, what is telling you it is empty? You say regardless of what files are on it...well, if files are on it, you must be seeing them with something. If you have, for example, files on the drive that have no icons, then opening a window on WB will not display the files without icons (unless you tell it to show all files).

Let us know how you are viewing the hard drive.
Old 29 September 2002, 06:42   #3
Unregistered

I think I understand the problem better now, but I'd still like to know if there's any straightforward way to do what I want to do. The problem is that preexisting files in the PC directory do not show up in the emulated Amiga filesystem; apparently files need to be written by the emulated Amiga in order to exist in the filesystem emulation. My whole goal in mapping a directory was to access files that were on my PC. Is there any way I can do this more or less transparently (not considering things like missing filesystem features)?

Old 29 September 2002, 06:45   #4
Unregistered

Oh, and I tried looking at it with both an "all files" window and with "dir" in the shell. Both showed no files until I copied some random stuff there on the Amiga side.

Old 29 September 2002, 06:49   #5
Unregistered

It could also be that it was actually pointing to an empty directory, and it just never occurred to me to check that... not that I'm stupid enough for something like that to happen to me, of course.

Old 29 September 2002, 07:21   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
The problem is that preexisting files in the PC directory do not show up in the emulated Amiga filesystem; apparently files need to be written by the emulated Amiga in order to exist in the filesystem emulation. My whole goal in mapping a directory was to access files that were on my PC. Is there any way I can do this more or less transparently (not considering things like missing filesystem features)?
You have to tell WinUAE to allow PC drives to show up. Then they are there. I've never had any trouble accessing files on the PC side via WinUAE Amiga setup, other than filenames longer than AmigaDOS will allow.
Old 29 September 2002, 16:15   #7
thomas

1. are you really sure you are looking into the same directory from the Windows and Amiga sides ?

2. if you are speaking about the main directory of a drive (e.g. C:\) you have to omit the trailing "\". E.g. enter C: and not C:\ ! Otherwise no files will show up, just like you described above.

3. delete these bloody _UAEFSDB.___ files, unless you really need protection bits and file notes.