English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 June 2020, 19:35   #1
rabidgerry

RTC module issue

Hi, I have recently bought a Real Time Clock module and fitted this to my ACA1233n. Initially my Amiga 1200 did not boot but after re-fitting everything again it booted ok.

I then set the time and date via workbench. However when I powered down and left the Amiga switched off for 20mins I loaded up again and noticed the time had not saved using the real time clock however the date had saved. So I set the time again and before I turned the power off I decided to check my ACA1233n of which the RTC was fitted to just to see if it was behaving ok.

What I got was half the speed nearly when running a speed test. The speed was 5567 dhrystones where as I normally get 9201 dhrystones or else 9061 dhrystones. It is never this slow. So I decided to power the Amiga off again anyway and check later on if the date and time had saved.

They did not save. Both date and time where incorrect on bootup. So I figured there is something wrong with the RTC module I bought (it had a battery already fitted). I then went to check the speed of the ACA1233n and I noticed I was still getting slower speed than normal when the CPU was set to 40mhz. The speeds I was getting in sysinfo this time where 8567 dhrystones and fluctuating back and forth to around 9060 dhrystones.

So I then removed the RTC module altogether. When I booted the Amiga 1200 again to check the accelerator without the RTC the speeds where normal and I got 9201 dhrystones over a period of an hour consistently.

So I am wondering would a faulty RTC cause such issue with the ACA1233N card?

The seller of the RTC also would like me to check the RTC module using the Amiga 1200 RTC header on the motherboard, however I think my understanding is correct and that the Amiga 1200 RTC header cannot be used when you have a ACA1233n installed?

Currently the accelerator seems ok but the RTC is still showing in sysinfo as installed and this is truly weird because I have removed it altogether.

Has anyone any ideas as to what might be going on?
Old 20 June 2020, 20:16   #2
torsti76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Hi, I have recently bought a Real Time Clock module and fitted this to my ACA1233n. Initially my Amiga 1200 did not boot but after re-fitting everything again it booted ok.

I then set the time and date via workbench. However when I powered down and left the Amiga switched off for 20mins I loaded up again and noticed the time had not saved using the real time clock however the date had saved. So I set the time again and before I turned the power off I decided to check my ACA1233n of which the RTC was fitted to just to see if it was behaving ok.

What I got was half the speed nearly when running a speed test. The speed was 5567 dhrystones where as I normally get 9201 dhrystones or else 9061 dhrystones. It is never this slow. So I decided to power the Amiga off again anyway and check later on if the date and time had saved.

They did not save. Both date and time where incorrect on bootup. So I figured there is something wrong with the RTC module I bought (it had a battery already fitted). I then went to check the speed of the ACA1233n and I noticed I was still getting slower speed than normal when the CPU was set to 40mhz. The speeds I was getting in sysinfo this time where 8567 dhrystones and fluctuating back and forth to around 9060 dhrystones.

So I then removed the RTC module altogether. When I booted the Amiga 1200 again to check the accelerator without the RTC the speeds where normal and I got 9201 dhrystones over a period of an hour consistently.

So I am wondering would a faulty RTC cause such issue with the ACA1233N card?

The seller of the RTC also would like me to check the RTC module using the Amiga 1200 RTC header on the motherboard, however I think my understanding is correct and that the Amiga 1200 RTC header cannot be used when you have a ACA1233n installed?

Currently the accelerator seems ok but the RTC is still showing in sysinfo as installed and this is truly weird because I have removed it altogether.

Has anyone any ideas as to what might be going on?
The onboard clockport can be used together with the ACA1233n. The ACA's clockport is an additional one at a different address.
Old 21 June 2020, 00:11   #3
rabidgerry

Ok I will try the one on the Amiga. Any ideas as to why my Amiga sees a clock module when there is none currently fitted?
Old 22 June 2020, 12:10   #4
rabidgerry

Well installing on the A1200 onboard clock port did not work either. In fact when I put it there it no longer registered that I had something attached to my IDE. This may have been from the RF shield touching it. When I did get it boot eventually (RTC still installed) it did not hold date or time either.

Is there anyway I can reset the Amiga so it no longer says I have a RTC module installed?

Ever since the first attempt at installing it on the ACA1233n it has detected a clock in sysinfo despite the clock being removed. Can I clear the address some how?
Old 01 July 2020, 10:16   #5
rabidgerry

Just an update on the original issue, so I tested the battery that came with the RTC. It gave out 0.3v. instantly knew that this is why it was not working originally. I tested a known working battery and I got 3v of it no problem. Ordered some new batteries and and installed once they arrived. The RTC works well now.

However I still have weirdness of the Amiga seeing an RTC installed when I remove it. Even Jens couldn't understand that issue either after taking a look at my mother board.