English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 June 2020, 15:48   #1
neodeus

Amiga Workbench Resolution

Hello,

I apologize if this has already been asked a million times. I have, in the past, tried to research how to configure the Workbench desktop to use higher than normal resolutions. I have tried changing UAE options, I have tried installing things within workbench to help, but nothing seems to work. Honestly this has been an issue for a long time now, so I forget what I have tried in the past. The best I have accomplished was setting the workbench desktop to 1080. It worked, however, only a small section of the monitor is displayed at one time. You can move the mouse to the corners of the UAE window to "push" the screen over to the different sections of the desktop, but they cannot all be viewed at once. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to set Workbench to high res? I believe I have used the Classic Workbench full image in order to install my UAE virtual drive.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10 June 2020, 15:55   #2
chip
Amiga Demoscene Archive !

Welcome to the forum !
Old 10 June 2020, 16:19   #3
Weaselrama

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodeus View Post
Hello,

I apologize if this has already been asked a million times. I have, in the past, tried to research how to configure the Workbench desktop to use higher than normal resolutions. I have tried changing UAE options, I have tried installing things within workbench to help, but nothing seems to work. Honestly this has been an issue for a long time now, so I forget what I have tried in the past. The best I have accomplished was setting the workbench desktop to 1080.

Thanks in advance!
I've done the same thing. I came upon a great page which I think I have in my bookmarks that mapped out every conceivable resolution from the early days of RTG cards and CRTs up to modern cards and 4K displays.

I run FS-UAE with a MBP connected to an LG 4K display. 1920 x 1080 is the highest usable display if you want 16 or 32 bit. I can also run the full resolution of the 4K display (3840 x 2160) but only in 8 bit which is unusable to me. Remember, the WB was not really designed for modern hi-res modes. In 1920 x 1080, I had to replace the glowicons from OS3.9 and replace them with the Mason and Mason-like icons and increase the font size of screen and Workbench fonts. Actually, you have to do this on the Mac running at that resolution, increase screen, app, and browser fonts unless you have mighty good eyesight.

I've tried a lot of the resolutions in between and have even tried switching Mac resolutions to accomodate them but none of them fill the screen. 1920 x 1080 or 3840 x 2160 - those are the highest resolutions FS-UAE running Picasso and UAEGFX allow. I can't speak for WinUAE which has a much older pedigree.

Here's that list of common resolutions. Knock yourself out and good luck. I'd be interested in what you come up with. In FS-UAE, you must add the following into advanced settings:

fullscreen_height = 1080
fullscreen_width = 1920

I don't know if WinUAE supports adding resolutions this way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_resolutions
Old 10 June 2020, 16:28   #4
Saghalie

Would you be willing to post your config?

Thanks!
Old 10 June 2020, 16:54   #5
thomas

You can attach files to your posts, you know.
Old 10 June 2020, 17:00   #6
neodeus

HAHA you're right. Sorry trying to work and get Amiga support at the same time!
Old 10 June 2020, 17:02   #7
neodeus

Here is the config!

Here is the config in file form.

usethis is the config.
backup is a backup of the config

Deleted my previuos messages. Here is what I had.
1 - Thanks for welcome!

2 - I have tried changing the res within WorkBench. When I would change the Height / width values it would adjust the res on the screen. For some reason it has stopped taking those changes, and I can no longer adjust it. I was able to get it to 1920x1080, but cannot fit it all within the Window. It makes me use the mouse to move the viewable area around the desktop (ie I can only see 1/4th of the desktop at one time).

I've seen others have hi-res desktops set up in things like youtube videos and such. Didn't know if it was possible.

3 - Here are my configs.
Attached Files
File Type: uae usethis.uae (24.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: uae backup.uae (23.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by neodeus; 10 June 2020 at 17:15.
Old 10 June 2020, 17:29   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

You should also attach a screenshot of your Workbench and the Scrennmode GUI.
Old 10 June 2020, 19:52   #9
neodeus

So here are three screenshots. Let me know if you need any more.
1 - A picture of workbench.
2 - A picture showing how you can scroll around workbench work area.
3 - A picture of Screen prefs. I have tried to change the values in height and width, but they always reset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amiga1.PNG
Views:	112
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	67718   Click image for larger version

Name:	amiga2.PNG
Views:	108
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	67719   Click image for larger version

Name:	amiga3.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	67720  
Old 10 June 2020, 19:57   #10
neodeus

I would like to note that it seems like a bizarre screen setting. I have tried a lot of different ones. It was like.. they worked fine up until I tried to add the height / width value; it seems like after trying to modify some things it completely bugged out. Now some of them squish the screen so you cannot read anything, others completely break it (everything turns blue and black, starts scrolling across the screen, cannot change it back. All manner of strangeness.
Old 10 June 2020, 20:04   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Install Picasso96 to get RTG modes. (Available from aminet)

You probably have some scaling mode enabled in Filter panel that can cause strange side-effects in some special modes. (Most likely top/right button should be "no scaling")
Old 10 June 2020, 21:28   #12
Weaselrama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Install Picasso96 to get RTG modes. (Available from aminet)

You probably have some scaling mode enabled in Filter panel that can cause strange side-effects in some special modes. (Most likely top/right button should be "no scaling")
Good catch. I don't think the rest of us realized he hadn't installed Picasso96 since he'd mentioned he'd managed 1080. It didn't even occur to me, ouch.
Old 10 June 2020, 22:09   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

@Weaselrama
I asked to post the Screenmode because I suspected that there were no Picasso96 Drivers installed in his system, and that neodeus would indicate the resolution set to WinUAE and not the Workbench resolution.

@neodeus
If you install the Picasso96 Drivers on your ClassicWB ADV you will get all available RTG resolutions, see screenshot

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 17 June 2020 at 16:02.
Old 11 June 2020, 03:16   #14
neodeus

That worked. Thank you guys very much for the help. This has been a frustration for awhile now.
Old 21 June 2020, 19:53   #15
sketaful

Even if it a bit outdated I still follow Green Amiga Aliens guide.
http://guide.abime.net/home3.htm