English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 02 September 2004, 13:23   #21
EmuChicken

I so wish I had a picasso graphics card - thats all I can say :-) .... well actually no, theyre too expensive to get hold of

Yeh keep up the good work bloodwych, I for one can't do without this fine package - - wonder if theres a classicwindows? all the good bits, none of the crap?
Old 02 September 2004, 13:37   #22
Bloodwych

Thanks killerG, always nice to have your support. Noticed you put a few good words in over at Lemon and Amigagames.

Already paid homage to you emuchicken for your clean HTML code. As for P96, that's what WinUAE is for!

You two should put these comments in the guest book - it's looking rather empty at the moment!

These next releases really are going to be the last "big" update. All the things I couldn't be bothered to finish are now done. I've really gone over the packs with a fine toothcomb trying to iron everything out.

Ok, the new webguide is up for testing - should work with all browsers now. Tried it with an old simple HTML viewer on the Amiga and it works great! Checkout the animated gif made by emuchicken on the download page. I've tinkered here and there so I hope you don't mind. All good practice for me.

New packages and hosting arrangements should be completed soon. I'll add some credits to the main news-support thread for guys like emuchicken & Burseg for contributing.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 07 September 2004 at 14:22.
Old 02 September 2004, 13:49   #23
EmuChicken

how about putting down the link to the guestbook on the website!?
Old 02 September 2004, 14:07   #24
Bloodwych

It's there under Contact->Support - links straight to the forum page where the guestbook is a sticky. Not really that bothered about people posting - just didn't want it to remain empty hence the cheeky link above.

And now it's not.
Old 02 September 2004, 14:46   #25
EmuChicken

(looks around) ... the only depricated stuff I did was <center> oops! ;-)

like the download gif? hahahaha!

edit> lol just saw this
<p></p>

on the main index

I think you only even need to use one font aswell if its for a big block- for example

<font size=3> ... then the font will remain until you use </font> or choose another font size
Old 02 September 2004, 16:48   #26
Bloodwych

It's most certainly grey!

Complete annoying newbie alert!

Well a few of those errors will be my doing. Inexperience and just going with what works.

The <p></p> I read was a bad habit to use, but what's the harm if it works? I used it on the copper pages to split up the bullet points and it's compatible with age old browsers. How else can I split them up? <br>?

The font tags in every line under the table on the home page I got off the net - it said IE supports using one tag before and after <table>, but this might not be compatible with all browsers. So I stuck to the old method of using it in every <td> line.

Where do the " need placing - around every size parameter in the tags? Perhaps I should just mail it to emu again! LOL!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 02 September 2004 at 18:45.
Old 02 September 2004, 16:53   #27
EmuChicken

grin! ;D not til at least 7th m8 ;-)

little bits I'll be happy to do tho ;-) (looks at copper page source)

edit > checked it out
<p></p> yeh bad habits, but I dont see any harm in it tbh.... you may need to possibly add a &nbsp; within the <p> and </p> to make it compatible with stupid browsers

I think thats it, nbsp - same as spacebar

edit 2>

Quote:
of RAM and disable itfirst
just spotted that while checking it out
Old 02 September 2004, 17:30   #28
Bloodwych

Bound to be little typos like that emuC, just hope they're rare. Thanks for spotting it.

Alrighty then, I'm onto this now!

Check out the home page - you could eat your dinner off that baby!

I'll do the rest when I have time.

EDIT: No more "bad habit" empty <p></p>'s left Other browser friendly solutions have been implemented for bullet space. Guess situations like this is when CSS comes in handy for layout.

EDIT2: Final page preview is up. Configuration now has the table borders emuC.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 02 September 2004 at 21:42.
Old 03 September 2004, 12:29   #29
Paul
RIP Friends

Now all you need to do is add a few meta tags to the index page above </head>

E.g.
Code:
<meta name="keywords" content="Green Amiga Alien,Workbench 1.3,Workbench 2.x,Workbench 3.1,WinUAE,Picasso96,MagicWB,New Icons,Scalos,whdload" />
 <meta name="description" content="The Green Amiga Alien guide on how to set up a hard disk in WinUAE with Workbench 1.3, Workbench 2.x, Workbench 3.1 with all the enhancements/add-ons (Picasso96, MagicWB/New Icons, Scalos, whdload etc.)" />
  <meta name="Author" content="Paul The Green Amiga Alien" />
  <meta name="ROBOTS" content="index,follow" />
This is so your site can get indexed better in search engines.
Old 03 September 2004, 12:36   #30
Paul
RIP Friends

I've added a link to your site in the FAQ's here
Old 03 September 2004, 13:25   #31
Bloodwych

Thanks for the info Paul.

I thought about adding meta tags, but read that most search engines bypass them now due to dishonest info and create their own lists.

Adding the link is , although you may have to change it soon. Rck is hosting everything once I've uploading all this stuff to the server!
Old 03 September 2004, 16:00   #32
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Thanks for the info Paul.

I thought about adding meta tags, but read that most search engines bypass them now due to dishonest info and create their own lists.

Adding the link is , although you may have to change it soon. Rck is hosting everything once I've uploading all this stuff to the server!
When you do, I'll give you a whole faq for Classic WB, so instead of being part of 'Other Amiga Tutorials and FAQs to get you started' It will be under it's own 'Classic WB - by Bloodwych'
Old 03 September 2004, 16:55   #33
EmuChicken

Yeh you should add meta tags to just the index file.

Think of it this way, if you add meta keywords as - classic, classicwb, workbench, amiga, download ... and so forth - you should be able to get more hits. > how many warez sites are gonna have classicwb on it? :-p
Old 12 September 2004, 10:26   #34
mtb

Quote:
The next ClassicWB release is going to be a huge improvement in many areas, so I decided to make a HTML manual to go along with it! This will replace the normal text files in each pack and perhaps remain online also.

I'm NOT a webpage expert and have very little software or knowledge to produce something professional. In fact, this is my first effort but everyone has to start somewhere. I'm thinking of using my spare time to learn some HTML and Java fairly soon so who knows, it may improve with time.

I tried to keep things as simple as possible as it's not meant to represent a full blown site like AIAB - just a online guide. Plus it's quite blatantly a quick conversion of the text files as I couldn't be bothered to re-write anything.

Any advice/help appreciated. It can be found here
Could you please add a non exe version of the downloads, since not everyone is using windows ( i suggest to use .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz ) ?

Also why .exe? Is there an installer for win?

Also imo it would be good to specify the download size.
Old 12 September 2004, 11:56   #35
Bloodwych

Thanks for your input mtb.

Once I have some time, I'll add a link to the 7-zip page and put them in non-exe format.

I'll also add download size.
Old 13 September 2004, 12:25   #36
mtb

Quote:
Thanks for your input mtb.

Once I have some time, I'll add a link to the 7-zip page and put them in non-exe format.

I'll also add download size.
7zip is the best archiver imo, but it's windows only ( using linux, it works without any problem with wine, but using eg. a mac i guess it's impossible to uncompress a 7zip archive ).

So is it a 7zip executable?

For the downloads size thank you, i guess you have already undesrtood i'm on a 56kb modem
Old 13 September 2004, 12:41   #37
Bloodwych

I'm on 56K too - try uploading all packages at 33K! That's why I'm using 7-Zip at the moment as it saves loads of space, even compared to a solid rar archive (approx 2MB avrg per pack).

The changes have been made. Link to 7-Zip site, file size and ".7z" instead of ".exe"

Old 14 September 2004, 23:57   #38
mtb

Quote:
I'm on 56K too - try uploading all packages at 33K! That's why I'm using 7-Zip at the moment as it saves loads of space, even compared to a solid rar archive (approx 2MB avrg per pack).

The changes have been made. Link to 7-Zip site, file size and ".7z" instead of ".exe"

Yes 7zip is even imo the best. It's free ( lgpl ), it's not slow and it offers the best ratio atm. I have just seen native ports for other OS are planned for december, so don't "waste" days about uploading other kind of archives lie tar bz2 or so.

Thank you .