English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 May 2010, 09:30   #1
junkmanuk
1989 = win

A4000 - where next?

Ugh - this was posted in the wrong section.. serves me right for wanting to gawp at hardware pics between deciding what to post and actually posting... apologies - if someone can move this then all the better

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new visitor to the forum, I have recently got hold of an A4000 and have since upgraded the ROM, added an x-surf network card and invetested a scan-doubler/flicker-fixer. All of which are awesome

I have two questions if I may be so bold?

1) where do I go next with this? Is a graphics accelerator a good option if so which one?
2) I think I have a dead/dying RAM slot (I think due to previous battery corrosion which has now been fixed). Are these fixable - can I just re-flow the solder on it or anything and clean it up?

Many thanks

Last edited by junkmanuk; 21 May 2010 at 09:37. Reason: My own personal fail
Old 21 May 2010, 10:32   #2
slk486
Registered Looser

Hello there!

1) Personally a GFX card would be my next investment - A Cybervision 64 or Piccolo 64 so you have the passthrough from your scandoubler.
2) To my knowledge the pathways can be fixed, but should be left to a pro. If the corrosion has been properly cleaned up (ie. it's not slowly melting away at the board anymore) I'd rather go with a RAM expansion card or a SCSI controller with RAM onboard.

Just my 2 cents
Old 21 May 2010, 13:21   #3
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmanuk View Post
Ugh - this was posted in the wrong section.. serves me right for wanting to gawp at hardware pics between deciding what to post and actually posting... apologies - if someone can move this then all the better

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new visitor to the forum, I have recently got hold of an A4000 and have since upgraded the ROM, added an x-surf network card and invetested a scan-doubler/flicker-fixer. All of which are awesome

I have two questions if I may be so bold?

1) where do I go next with this? Is a graphics accelerator a good option if so which one?
2) I think I have a dead/dying RAM slot (I think due to previous battery corrosion which has now been fixed). Are these fixable - can I just re-flow the solder on it or anything and clean it up?

Many thanks
Firstly...., Does the 4000 have the original battery ?, DISCARD THIS ASAP.

THEN, if you know someone who knows what they are doing, get the Audio circuit looked at, the Capacitors Commodore used like to spew their guts over the motherboard, corroding it (Like the 4000 battery).
Old 21 May 2010, 14:15   #4
junkmanuk
1989 = win

Quote:
Originally Posted by slk486 View Post
Hello there!

1) Personally a GFX card would be my next investment - A Cybervision 64 or Piccolo 64 so you have the passthrough from your scandoubler.
2) To my knowledge the pathways can be fixed, but should be left to a pro. If the corrosion has been properly cleaned up (ie. it's not slowly melting away at the board anymore) I'd rather go with a RAM expansion card or a SCSI controller with RAM onboard.

Just my 2 cents
Thanks very much! It looked clean enough - I think there may have been issues in the past which were resolved before I got hold of the machine. However, I came across the RAM errors after rebuilding and installed OS3.5, so haven't had a close look at the area yet.

Cybervision or Piccolo - any reason to choose one over the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
Firstly...., Does the 4000 have the original battery ?, DISCARD THIS ASAP.

THEN, if you know someone who knows what they are doing, get the Audio circuit looked at, the Capacitors Commodore used like to spew their guts over the motherboard, corroding it (Like the 4000 battery).
Yep the battery is long gone now! Thanks for the heads up on the audio circuit though - I'll have a close look asap!

I lurve my 4000 - gotta treat her right
Old 21 May 2010, 14:33   #5
slk486
Registered Looser

Not really, though you should choose one with 4mb. If there is a performance difference it'll be negligible - at least that's what I came up with in my recent research. Make sure you get one with the passthrough cable or are able to make it yourself - it's not very hard, though I've got the pinout for the Piccolo SD64 if you need it, since I recently made a cable for it.

If you're going to have someone (or yourself) look at replacing the caps for the Audio circuitry you'd probably do well to replace them all - they've been known to dry out, overheat, and then pop - resulting in leaking.

Regarding the audio circuitry - look here for more details: http://amiga.serveftp.net/audio_repair.html

I was thinking of sending my mb to http://www.amigacenter.com/Homer.html for refurbishment, 'caus as you say: Gotta treat her right

I haven't had a battery leak (removed it before it leaked to the mb), but would like the caps replaced, and I'm nowhere good enough with a soldering iron, to do it by my lonesome.
Old 21 May 2010, 18:21   #6
junkmanuk
1989 = win

Quote:
Originally Posted by slk486 View Post
Not really, though you should choose one with 4mb. If there is a performance difference it'll be negligible - at least that's what I came up with in my recent research. Make sure you get one with the passthrough cable or are able to make it yourself - it's not very hard, though I've got the pinout for the Piccolo SD64 if you need it, since I recently made a cable for it.

If you're going to have someone (or yourself) look at replacing the caps for the Audio circuitry you'd probably do well to replace them all - they've been known to dry out, overheat, and then pop - resulting in leaking.

Regarding the audio circuitry - look here for more details: http://amiga.serveftp.net/audio_repair.html

I was thinking of sending my mb to http://www.amigacenter.com/Homer.html for refurbishment, 'caus as you say: Gotta treat her right

I haven't had a battery leak (removed it before it leaked to the mb), but would like the caps replaced, and I'm nowhere good enough with a soldering iron, to do it by my lonesome.
Great stuff...! The pinout would be really helpful thanks!

Thanks for the links as well! I'll get the board out and have a look at the state of it... it's been well looked after I think but knowing the hazards is half the battle. That dude in france looks a good option though!

Going to mix me up some Retr0brite for my A500 this weekend as well
Old 21 May 2010, 18:39   #7
amigakit.com

We offer SIMM socket replacement service for A4000

Although it may be better to invest in a ZorRAM which is modern SDRAM upgrade for the A4000
Old 21 May 2010, 23:22   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
Although it may be better to invest in a ZorRAM which is modern SDRAM upgrade for the A4000
Unless you're absolutely sure your problems are a dead / dying SIMM socket this might be bad advice.

I recommend you find the root cause of your problem first. Identify that it IS the SIMM socket, that it is not going to get worse and affect ChipRAM (which you cannot do without) and not interfere with normal operation if you leave the affected slot unpopulated.

Otherwise you could invest money in an admittedly good product which will become useless if A4000D breaks altogether.
Old 21 May 2010, 23:41   #9
amigakit.com

See http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=671354&postcount=10 for our latest tests with 4x ZorRAM cards and a humble A4000... :-)
Old 22 May 2010, 01:30   #10
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Just my 2 cents.

Im a an A4000D owner as well, Id suggest you do the following.

1) Send the mobo off to Amiga Center France and get *all* the caps replaced and a new battery. He'll be able to fix your memory slot as well. No harm in doing a bit of preventative maintenance. Ive dealt with JJB @ Amiga Center and his work is top notch.
2) Im assuming that the processor card in the A4000 is an A3640. Ditch it and try to get a card with an 060 processor on Ebay. Failing that go to Software Hut and order one of their 060 processor cards. But only do this if you're willing to spend a good bit of cash.
3) Buy a Deneb card, from amigakit - lets you use all kinds of USB devices with your A4000 - Great way for transferring data over to your amiga.
Old 22 May 2010, 10:58   #11
slk486
Registered Looser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
Just my 2 cents.

Im a an A4000D owner as well, Id suggest you do the following.

2) Im assuming that the processor card in the A4000 is an A3640. Ditch it and try to get a card with an 060 processor on Ebay. Failing that go to Software Hut and order one of their 060 processor cards. But only do this if you're willing to spend a good bit of cash.
It's really not that much more, considering what the equivalent cards go for on eBay and you get a new card including warranty - IMHO
BTW they have a 4 x 32mb for 60$ offer at the moment, which is not posted on the website.
Old 22 May 2010, 11:18   #12
junkmanuk
1989 = win

It's not even that - I've got an EC030, so upgrading that to an 060 sounds very good. I'm going to have to draw up a shopping list of priorities though

First priority is checking this SIMM slot I think. I've run tests on the remaining units and they checked out fine - I'm going to insert the last stick and see what is going on there, it wasn't the stick itself it was definitely 'something else' but as I was testing the ROM upgrade at the time I didn't want to start pulling things about, otherwise you end up never knowing the cause! I'll look into the ZorRAM once I have a certified 'good' system (thanks amigakit, for the advice and the service I've already had!)...

Second - I'm going to find out about sending it away. I'll probably make the enquiries today about the pricing etc...

Then - graphics accelerator.... choices, choices....!

Then.. maybe a Deneb card, but I'm not too fussed about that right now as I have the network card and use aWeb to browse aminet and ncftp for any transfers required... - it's just a case of spinning round in my chair at the moment

Thanks very much for all the advice. It's a lot to take in so apologies if I missed anything out, but I now have a plan to work with which is great!

I'll keep coming back with more info and continue to enjoy the site!!

Edit: Forgot about this, when I was poking around I noticed this... It looks like extensive work has been done around the battery area already... can anyone explain the chip replacement bit and the black wires going into the sim bays??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2098.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	25389  

Last edited by junkmanuk; 22 May 2010 at 13:17.
Old 24 May 2010, 16:21   #13
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Battery leakage! That's why those batteries must be replaced by a lithium cell button battery and a diode.
Old 25 May 2010, 09:07   #14
junkmanuk
1989 = win

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Battery leakage! That's why those batteries must be replaced by a lithium cell button battery and a diode.
I presumed it was something to do with that - but what's with the legs on the chip being chopped and re-routed?

That IS the replacement battery (I hope - as I was told it was new when I bought it!)
Old 25 May 2010, 22:46   #15
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
That's a replacement, for sure.

But those batteries are unreliable, as when they go bad they start to spill its caustic guts out.
Old 26 May 2010, 07:12   #16
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

My A4000 before I got it (Apparently) had its Barrel "Replaced", only to be fitted with ANOTHER one of the same type <Facepalm>..., Anyway that came out the second I saw it, and now replaced with a CR2032 (Coin).

Its common for people to do that.. "Oh its okay, I removed the battery that has a chance of failing, and replaced it"

1) not a chance of failing, IT WILL FAIL, just a matter of WHEN.
2) Replacing it with ANOTHER of the same battery, just extends the life marginally, what happens when THAT battery explodes fluid over the motherboard?

Coin replacement is the ONLY alternative. Or you can just remove it and just do with out a clock.
Old 26 May 2010, 07:17   #17
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmanuk View Post
I presumed it was something to do with that - but what's with the legs on the chip being chopped and re-routed?

That IS the replacement battery (I hope - as I was told it was new when I bought it!)
Motherboard traces probably eaten through by acid, that probably was their attempt to repair the traces.
Old 26 May 2010, 07:38   #18
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
Coin replacement is the ONLY alternative. Or you can just remove it and just do with out a clock.
You can run wires off to a sealed box mounted on the side of the A4000 case, or even off to an adapter with 2xAA batteries / rechargables, it all comes down to aesthetics.

Down take this advice literally, anything that isn't rechargable still needs the diode to stop the Amiga from trying to charge it.
Old 26 May 2010, 10:17   #19
Hewitson

Worth mentioning that rechargable coin batteries do exist as well. Quite hard to come by, but I'm sure you could easily order them from farnell, futurlec, etc.
Old 26 May 2010, 10:19   #20
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Worth mentioning that rechargable coin batteries do exist as well. Quite hard to come by, but I'm sure you could easily order them from farnell, futurlec, etc.
LMAO farnell, they wont be $5 for a pack of 5