English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 29 November 2014, 19:30   #481
s2325
Zone Friend

Pipe Dream (1989)(Lucasfilm)(US)[cr ACC] have prompt about wrong code after first level.
Old 29 November 2014, 21:21   #482
butfluffy

is there an archive available here at EAB of all these bad cracked games which have been fixed over the years. it seems some game people have fixed over the years and uploaded to the zone are nowhere to be found now unless i just don't know where to look.
the tosec collection is great but i wish there was an ultimate adf set for amiga with all the bad cracked and non working game versions removed, failing that acquiring fixed versions and replacing them in my rom set is the best option.

edit - i was also wondering if all the classic and skid row cracks of shockwave are bad does that mean the only good cracked version from tosec is the nova production crack or is that one bad aswell?

Last edited by butfluffy; 29 November 2014 at 21:46. Reason: update
Old 29 November 2014, 22:00   #483
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by butfluffy View Post
is there an archive available here at EAB of all these bad cracked games which have been fixed over the years. it seems some game people have fixed over the years and uploaded to the zone are nowhere to be found now unless i just don't know where to look.
the tosec collection is great but i wish there was an ultimate adf set for amiga with all the bad cracked and non working game versions removed, failing that acquiring fixed versions and replacing them in my rom set is the best option.

edit - i was also wondering if all the classic and skid row cracks of shockwave are bad does that mean the only good cracked version from tosec is the nova production crack or is that one bad aswell?
My version of Shockwave is 100%, I don't think any of the other versions were done 100% back in the day, all the enemy waves are fucked.

I can do that this week sometime, been meaning to release it.
Old 29 November 2014, 22:13   #484
butfluffy

that would be great Galahad. i was also wondering about the version Graham Gooches Second Innings which you said you cracked... was both the classic and dcs cracks bad? if so i would like to get your cracked version if it's still available.
i have not been folloiwing the amiga scene tbh and only ever downloaded the tosec setfrom time to time but didn't realize so many games had bad cracks and would not work properly, unlike with retro console romsets which i'm used to dealing with and are far easier to get a grasp of a almost perfect romset.
the amiga set is very confusing with all the various protections/cracks and bad cracks and fixes over the years and it don't appear as if some of the crack fixes are included in newer tosec collections and they have long since been removed from the zone it seems.
Old 30 November 2014, 02:22   #485
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
that would be great Galahad. i was also wondering about the version Graham Gooches Second Innings which you said you cracked... was both the classic and dcs cracks bad? if so i would like to get your cracked version if it's still available.
i have not been folloiwing the amiga scene tbh and only ever downloaded the tosec setfrom time to time but didn't realize so many games had bad cracks and would not work properly, unlike with retro console romsets which i'm used to dealing with and are far easier to get a grasp of a almost perfect romset.
the amiga set is very confusing with all the various protections/cracks and bad cracks and fixes over the years and it don't appear as if some of the crack fixes are included in newer tosec collections and they have long since been removed from the zone it seems.
Mine was the DCS version, Classic missed the copy protection because they thought it was just a data disk so didnt check it.

If you do a search for eab file server, any and all files that have been in the zone will be there.
Old 30 November 2014, 03:34   #486
butfluffy

thanks for the info good to know that all zone files can be found with the search function.
Old 30 November 2014, 12:46   #487
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Mine was the DCS version, Classic missed the copy protection because they thought it was just a data disk so didnt check it.
Who did that? I assume it wasn't Ringo Starr or Mok.
Old 30 November 2014, 14:17   #488
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
My version of Shockwave is 100%, I don't think any of the other versions were done 100% back in the day, all the enemy waves are fucked.

I can do that this week sometime, been meaning to release it.
It is great to see fully functional cracks being released in 2014... I hope that the TOSEC sets are flagging bad cracks and we are making sure that the 100% ones get into TOSEC sets at the same time... Both need to happen!
Old 30 November 2014, 14:49   #489
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Who did that? I assume it wasn't Ringo Starr or Mok.
Technically it was Mok, but basically what happened was the original supplier told Mok it was just a data disk with no protection (it didn't mention copy protection in the manual), so Mok simply sent an intro for the original supplier to put on the disk and they released it as it was.

It actually did a Copylock check as a disk check when you had to put the original Graham Gooch game into DF0:.

Just one of those things, I cracked it soon after and I believe the DCS version replaced the CLS version everywhere on the boards back in the day.
Old 30 November 2014, 15:19   #490
Hewitson

Thanks for the explanation, I guess even Classic weren't perfect.

It would be interesting if everyone went through their disks and posted which group they had the most cracks from. We could then add the results up and work out who was the most popular group.
Old 30 November 2014, 18:09   #491
butfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
It is great to see fully functional cracks being released in 2014... I hope that the TOSEC sets are flagging bad cracks and we are making sure that the 100% ones get into TOSEC sets at the same time... Both need to happen!
i agree. i love the tosec set but it is a also a mess. it would be better if all the bad cracked and dodgy adfs were removed.
for example i was playing spellbound dizzy from the excellent dizzy adventures compilation cracked by FLT and i got to the part where the game breaks when you select the rubber snorkel. i looked online and found numerous people with the same problem, i then posted about it here and stingray was taking the trouble to make an extended adf of the game and people were saying use a ipf version which does not work on xbox uae.
then a went back to the tosec collection and grabbed the version cracked by flashtro and that version worked fine and i completed it. problem is the state save i had from the broken FLT version was incompatible and i had to redo the entire game again which was a real pain because the game is a bit of a grind.

i forgot to add that even though the goodset romsets for consoles are riddled with bad dumps and hacks at least the user can identify a good rom by looking for the (!) in the filename. and the no intro console sets are very clean indeed. it's a shame that tosec for amiga is not organized this way. i hate playing a game a few levels to find it's messed up half way through.

Last edited by butfluffy; 30 November 2014 at 18:12. Reason: update
Old 30 November 2014, 18:19   #492
s2325
Zone Friend

Most Amiga games were harder than console games. You need more skills and patience to check everything while there is another game waiting for crack. Even if Amiga gamer found partially non-working game it was easy to copy another release which was not possible when you have cartridge-based system.
Old 30 November 2014, 20:12   #493
Superman

Anyone else tried the Battle Squadron - The Destruction of the Barrax Empire! (1989)(Innerprise)[cr TIC][f AGA ORB][t +8 DLT].adf on an A500?

I know it works fine on an A1200 config in WinUAE but if you play it on an A500 the score HUD display and players ship goes underneath the planet surface so you can't see what you are doing! lol
This screenshot shows the player ship just visible under a gap in the mountains and part of the scoreboard is just visible too.

Old 30 November 2014, 20:37   #494
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Anyone else tried the Battle Squadron - The Destruction of the Barrax Empire! (1989)(Innerprise)[cr TIC][f AGA ORB][t +8 DLT].adf on an A500?

I know it works fine on an A1200 config in WinUAE but if you play it on an A500 the score HUD display and players ship goes underneath the planet surface so you can't see what you are doing! lol
This screenshot shows the player ship just visible under a gap in the mountains and part of the scoreboard is just visible too.

Its an aga fix, its not meant for a500, just use the original tic/freestyle crack
Old 30 November 2014, 21:07   #495
butfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Most Amiga games were harder than console games. You need more skills and patience to check everything while there is another game waiting for crack. Even if Amiga gamer found partially non-working game it was easy to copy another release which was not possible when you have cartridge-based system.
this is why i have a lot of respect for all the crackers and release groups from days past in the amiga scene. unlike with the retro consoles in which only very few games ahd some form of copy protection the amiga seemed to have protection for a huge number of games and sometimes from my understanding the protection could be rather complex. cracking all these games and making sure they all worked perfectly afterwards is an huge undertaking spread amongst various cracking release groups and it's understandable that not every crack released would be 100%.
it's a shame that over time that a romset which contained only the good releases and fixed releases was never produced. once again this task in itself would be an huge undertaking. from what i gather the work done on the commodore 64 gamebase set is rather extensive and results in a good and clean set.
i used to have the same trouble with c64 images before i discovered gamebase64 in which i would never know which cracked version would be a good or bad one. i have never tried the amiga gamebase so i don't know if it is as clean as the c64 version or if as much dedication as been put into including only the good cracked versions of games and so on.
Old 30 November 2014, 21:11   #496
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
some SNES games used routines that tried to write on the RAM (to check if it was loaded inside a copier RAM) instead of playing from Cart in ROM Console and even arcade hardware have protection routines
Old 30 November 2014, 21:30   #497
butfluffy

yeah i don't think there was so many. i remember from the old floppy disk copier days that there were some issues with hi-rom and low rom versions but my super wild card 32m version seemed to run everything except for games with special chips.
i remember when donkey kong country 3 came out there would be a message saying you are attempting to run an illegal version of this game when trying to play a rom version but that was fixed with an ips crack. maybe there were a few others but i usually got the game roms ready to play from release cds back in the day. i copied DK3 from an original cart and applied the ips myself.
the console games did not seem to have anywhere near the complexity for game protections as the amiga, most games could be dumped from cartridge to floppy with no issues at all. and region protected games usually were fixed using simple tools.
the amiga seemed to be a beast for copy protected games. i was more of a console gamer back in the day but later discovered that amiga was a great gaming system also

Last edited by butfluffy; 30 November 2014 at 22:10. Reason: error
Old 30 November 2014, 21:56   #498
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
yes, the amiga has some games with complex Copy protection
Old 01 December 2014, 08:19   #499
Hewitson

Quote:
i hate playing a game a few levels to find it's messed up half way through.
Use WHDLoad then. No point complaining about a bad crack when in most cases a perfect crack is available.
Old 01 December 2014, 10:03   #500
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
i agree. i love the tosec set but it is a also a mess. it would be better if all the bad cracked and dodgy adfs were removed.
TOSEC wont remove alts or bad cracks but if they are marked correctly at least we will know not to play them!!!