English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 22 June 2002, 22:22   #1
LordCrass

Euro Amigas in NA

I'm looking to buy an A1200, but all the ones I find on EBay are from the UK (I'm in Canada). From what I've read, the A500/A600/A1200 power supplies are all the same.

So if I got one of these systems and just used my 110VAC/60Hz A500 PSU with the Euro A1200, would it work? Or are there other differences that would prevent it from working with our electrical system (like PAL-only video output)?

Old 22 June 2002, 22:35   #2
jmmijo

I know you would have a PAL only output, unless you used the early-boot menu option to switch to NTSC mode. Also note that you should connect it to an Amiga monitor as these can display both NTSC and PAL video modes

As for the power supplies being the same, not sure since I don't have an A1200
Old 08 July 2002, 21:57   #3
Tomtom

have you looked at eBay-Germany ?
There you can find many PAL-Amigas, but not all will ship it to Canada. You can take a look at: http://www.ebay.de
Old 10 July 2002, 00:15   #4
Akira

Well, yes you can. I have succesfully replaced my german Amiga 600's PSU (formerly 220V) with an US 110V A600 PSU. Nothing happens.

However keep in mind the PAL thing. No TV of yours will be able to display the modes, I dont even know if north american TVs sync down to 50 Hz! I have NEVER seen a bi-norm TV around there (while everyone else in the world have bi-norm TVs).

If you get an Amiga monitor you should be laughing. And you better get a PAL Amiga over an NTSC one. Always seem to be a bit better.
Old 10 July 2002, 16:54   #5
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

However keep in mind the PAL thing. No TV of yours will be able to display the modes, I dont even know if north american TVs sync down to 50 Hz! I have NEVER seen a bi-norm TV around there (while everyone else in the world have bi-norm TVs).
Hmm, but isn't there a hack or even just a jumper to set/cut to cahnge between PAL & NTSC ? I think there is something like this in the A-500.
Old 10 July 2002, 19:26   #6
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by Overdoc
Hmm, but isn't there a hack or even just a jumper to set/cut to cahnge between PAL & NTSC ? I think there is something like this in the A-500.
From an 1200 faq:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. Is there an internal jumper on the A1200 to set it to default to PAL or NTSC video?

A. No, but if you're really motivated, you can rig this up. My thanks to Tetsuo Oda and Byron Montgomerie, who provided the information that connecting pin 41 of the Alice custom chip to ground causes the A1200 to default to NTSC, while pulling this pin high (disconnecting it from the motherboard and connecting it to +5V through a 4.7k resistor) will make the default power-up state PAL. I would point out that making a modification like this on a surface-mount chip is difficult at best, and you may end up needing an expensive motherboard replacement, or, at worst, a dead A1200 that needs an expensive replacement motherboard available. In most cases, using the boot menu (obtained by pressing both mouse buttons on power-up or reset) to switch to PAL is sufficient. However, with some games, the hardware patch will be necessary to insure proper timing (changing to PAL via the boot menu might make a 50 Hz game run at 60 Hz timing, or vice versa).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 10 July 2002, 23:42   #7
Akira

As I said, better get a PAL A1200.. So far I haven't had any problems with my NTSC model, but that's because I'm mostly using WHDLoad :P And from teh floppy games I used none gave problems, but yu never know.

Demos are bound to be extremely picky.