English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 August 2006, 01:06   #1
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Is it ok to beat kids at computer games?

I play against my four year old son on Indy Heat, but what he hasn't realised is that his joystick is unplugged!
I just tell him that he is the red car or likewise and proceed to beat him at every possible occasion!
It saves me having to correct his crashes and adjust his car upgrades etc.
Am I a bad parent? LOL
Old 12 August 2006, 01:20   #2
FromWithin
Music lord

I was in the Virgin upper-class lounge in Chicago airport (my first and last time in upper-class so far). There was a Dreamcast with a bunch of games. I put on Tony Hawk's. A woman came in with her kid. He must have been 8 or 9. He wanted to play, so I put it on two player and he sat down to play. I ab-so-lute-ly hammered him. He gets flown first class, he probably gets everything he wants, so I didn't feel bad about teaching him that he can't always have everything by not letting him win. Har har har har.
Old 12 August 2006, 01:26   #3
Ray Norrish

hehe.. take it while you can. My son owns me these days on any FPS head to head, and he started beating me at C&C style games when he was about 14.. enjoy it while you can
Old 12 August 2006, 01:59   #4
Ironclaw
Banned

Hehe, for several years now every summer when I go the beach to play arcades, there is this fighting game called Killer Instinct which I am THE best player in entire Sweden, possibly world (I'm not kidding, I'm that good). I go there just for the KI game.... I wait for kids to come and play it... then I say like:

- Whoa, cool game. Can I play too?

They mostly agrees to play against me.. and while I prepare (putting coins in and stuff) they give me pointers and hints on how to play.. Then the first round I go easy on them... almost loosing.. then the second round I KICK THEIR ASSES!! ... And when they are dead and I can continue on the same credit against the computer, I show off all I have, playing in the secret HIGH speed mode (hold pl1 and pl2 joystick right and press start at the character commencing screen), the speed is increased like 300%. I do super combos, monster combos.. finishes of with ULTRA COMBOOO.....which is like 50 hits in a row...completing the whole game with just one credit.... they always got the look like "WTF!?".... then enter my initials: KRC... which is all there is in the list :P:P

I do the same to adults if they play the game :P.
Old 12 August 2006, 02:48   #5
DamienD
Banned

OMG Magno Boots, that's just nasty

@Ironclaw: I also love Killer Instinct. Been a while since I played (should really load it up in MAME32 or U64Emu really) but used to be able to do something like a 56 hit combo with Orchid
Old 12 August 2006, 02:52   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

errr.. ooookay!

I used to go with the "pretend to plug in the joystick" route too, but then the kids started to notice it wasn't plugged in..

Now when I play them at anything new I get hammered. When I play them at classics.. it is me who is doing the hammering!

On a side-note I am on the committee of the under-9 football team my son plays in. We had a friendly match a few weeks ago and the boys got hammered. We decided that every training match the kids will play against the dads so that their abilities improved.

When we first started we'd hammer them, but now it is starting to reverse.. we are beating them by 1 or 2 goals per game instead of 5 or 6.. It's just a matter of time before they own us.

Oh and just so you know.. of the 7 dads that play.. 4 played in pub teams, and the other 2 were semi-pro.. (Only me that has no experience)

I can't wait for the season to start (September 10th) as we are expecting them to kick some ass!!
Old 12 August 2006, 10:34   #7
Marcuz

a whole generation of kids packing heat and frustration growing in professional sociopathic persons out there to take vengeance on the rest of the world...
Old 12 August 2006, 11:27   #8
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

You guys are evil!!

I've admittedly done the same though, letting my kids beat me to start with or distracting them - Bust-a-move on the PS is one.... then when they start getting the hump cos I've won a game or two dozen, I merely point out that it's not about winning but having fun - win or lose.
Old 12 August 2006, 14:10   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy
then when they start getting the hump cos I've won a game or two dozen, I merely point out that it's not about winning but having fun - win or lose.
you tell that to my 11year old daughter after the 20th spanking on tekken 1,2 or 3....

she gets violent!!!! and goes off to play need for speed: most wanted just to smash the cops up... its concerning!!!!!

if not that, straight onto Call of Duty to cull a few hundred nazi's or Quake to expire a few strogg!!!

mind you, there was time when we both played mortal kombat 2 on the snes emulator. and she had found out that if you held down two keys on the keyboard my keys would not respond so i ended up receiving a serious kicking!

what can i say...... i have taught her the fundementals in life

Last edited by Zetr0; 12 August 2006 at 14:15.
Old 12 August 2006, 14:34   #10
petza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magno Boots
I play against my four year old son on Indy Heat, but what he hasn't realised is that his joystick is unplugged!
I just tell him that he is the red car or likewise and proceed to beat him at every possible occasion!
It saves me having to correct his crashes and adjust his car upgrades etc.
Am I a bad parent? LOL
ROFL U BIG SOD
Old 12 August 2006, 15:16   #11
petza

i play with my with my lil sis at games she beats me she is better than me
she completed
deluxe galaga
moonstone
super frog
robocod
and 10 ps1 games
she beat the black car on ridge racer its damm hard to do
Old 12 August 2006, 15:29   #12
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
Kids are used to that grown ups and especial the parents know everything and can do everything (or at least a lot better than they can). So go ahead and enjoy that you are winning while it lasts. If they get older you have to learn that your reflexes are slowing down and your learning speed has dropped and ...
Welcome to the club of oldtimers!
Old 12 August 2006, 19:40   #13
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by petza
i play with my with my lil sis at games she beats me she is better than me
she completed
deluxe galaga
moonstone
super frog
robocod
and 10 ps1 games
she beat the black car on ridge racer its damm hard to do
Beat the black car?! Impressive! That is the one thing I've never been able to do in RR..... the shame of it. How old is she? If you tell me she is 10 or something I'm just gonna crawl in a hole and die.... I'm kidding! I think it's great now, this down and age that computer games appeal to both sexes. I certainly wouldn't feel ashamed being beaten by a girl.... unless I ended up in hospital then I'd say she was taking it too far.
Old 12 August 2006, 21:12   #14
petza

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy
Beat the black car?! Impressive! That is the one thing I've never been able to do in RR..... the shame of it. How old is she? If you tell me she is 10 or something I'm just gonna crawl in a hole and die.... I'm kidding! I think it's great now, this down and age that computer games appeal to both sexes. I certainly wouldn't feel ashamed being beaten by a girl.... unless I ended up in hospital then I'd say she was taking it too far.
yeah i cant beleive she beat that black car we can now drive it its a cool car all the mags said u need to do a perfercet lap
she was around 14 when beat the car
she gets me threw hard spots on games like on ninja gaiden
her fave game was balders gate on the ps2 we played it co-op

weve completed these co-op rpg's
sacred
nevewinter nights 1+2 and exp packs
balders gate 1+2
champions of norath
weve nearly clocked titan quest

weve completed loads more normal games

Last edited by petza; 12 August 2006 at 21:19.
Old 12 August 2006, 21:35   #15
FromWithin
Music lord

Next time you go round a bend in Ridge Racer, press the handbrake and then turn the opposite way to the corner. Then wait and see what it looks like on the replay.
Old 12 August 2006, 22:00   #16
petza

she beat the black car and never used power slides

she has the highest score on del galaga and colonization

Last edited by petza; 12 August 2006 at 22:06.
Old 13 August 2006, 05:16   #17
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

she also has my cheat book and i want it back j/k
Old 13 August 2006, 14:14   #18
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

As far as I am concerned, its ok to beat kids with big sticks!
Old 13 August 2006, 15:53   #19
petza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
you tell that to my 11year old daughter after the 20th spanking on tekken 1,2 or 3....

she gets violent!!!! and goes off to play need for speed: most wanted just to smash the cops up... its concerning!!!!!

if not that, straight onto Call of Duty to cull a few hundred nazi's or Quake to expire a few strogg!!!

mind you, there was time when we both played mortal kombat 2 on the snes emulator. and she had found out that if you held down two keys on the keyboard my keys would not respond so i ended up receiving a serious kicking!

what can i say...... i have taught her the fundementals in life
yea my sis is violent we were playing
swat co-op your not suppose to shoot the crims your supposed to arrest them
she cuffed a crim then said YA CUFFED she blew his HEAD OFF she coulndt stop laughing girls are more voilent than us men
Old 14 August 2006, 04:50   #20
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I figure it comes down to estrogen being many times superceeded by testosterone *can be caused by high dose's of adrenaline (and thier bodies not being used to it) kinda puts them on a high buzz..

this also could explane why when a lot of girls (young women) got out and get drunk there behavour is more loutish that that of young men (considering some of my m8s thats not overly suprising) however i remember seeing a documentary that had exposed such an hypothesis where alcohol reduces the estrogen in the blood stream, thus causing a superceeded imbalance of testorone and hence overall behavour, stating that males in such case are used to high levels but specifically are condition social to deal better with it..

quite interesting infact... i think it was horizon...

err kinda off topic... but hey can't beat a bit of biochemistry for a monday morning.