English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 December 2006, 01:07   #1
Highwayman

Picasso II Problems :(

Hi,

My Picasso II arrived from Ebay today, plugged it in, showconfig picked up a 2 meg board.. Didnt see any more fast ram but didnt expect to with a video card...

The problem is whenever I write to the HD or read from floppy the miggy will guru, error number is 8000 0008.. Thought it might be the harddrive so swapped another and reinstalled workbench, No dice! Tried changing to segmented memory and disabling my other fast ram but didnt help..anybody come across this or is the video card knackered ..everything works fine without the card installed..machine is A1500 with A2630, GVC HC+8 Scsi, ECS, 8 meg of ram..

any ideas will be appreicated!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 December 2006, 01:37   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You've exceeded the zorro II autoconfig space. (i.e. you have too much RAM for too little address space)

The maximum is 8 Megabytes and you are trying to use 10!

Take 4Mbytes RAM off the GVP SCSI card and everything will be well. Dont forget to change the jumpers.

Code:
Memory SIMM Locations J5  J6  J7  J8  J9
4MB      CN10-CN13    ON OFF OFF OFF  ON
You could try 6Mbytes but I think that still uses all 8Mbytes of autoconfig address space.

You tried to run the Picasso II in Segmented mode eh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Book of Amiga Hardware
For A2000 owners, the Picasso II also supports segmented memory. This means that the graphics card can still be used, even if you currently have other peripherals (such as memory) which are using up the full Zorro II address space. However in segmented memory mode, performance is degraded and applications may not behave very well. Please also note, that depending on the RTG driver you use (P96, CGX, EGS), segmented mode may not be supported. To change to segmented memory mode, there is a jumper next to a row of four chips, on the right hand side of the card. This should be ON to enable segmented memory.
Which RTG software are you using?

If you need more RAM in your system you'll have to add it to the A2630 card. It will take upto 4Mbyte in ZIP-RAM (you didnt say how much you had on this card)

Or you could get a Zorro III RAM card, a different accelerator or a DKB2632

Last edited by alexh; 14 December 2006 at 02:10.
Old 14 December 2006, 01:48   #3
Highwayman

cheers I will try that tommorrow, though I did disable all the ram on the scsi card via the jumpers, would that make a difference?
Old 14 December 2006, 02:04   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Doh I should have read all of your post before replying!

You disabled all the RAM on the SCSI card via jumpers and it still didnt work.... hmmm

It might be worth using a tool such as SCOUT or other such tool which will give you a breakdown on RAM usage in the Autoconfig space.

Physically removing the RAM also would be a thing to try.

Changing Zorro slots also couldnt hurt... swap the two cards round.

Last edited by alexh; 14 December 2006 at 02:11.
Old 14 December 2006, 02:14   #5
Highwayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
If you disabled all the RAM on the SCSI card via jumpers and it still didnt work then there is something wrong with your system / graphics card. (Although it might be worth physically removing all SIMMS).

It might be worth using a tool such as SCOUT or other such tool which will give you a breakdown on RAM usage in the Autoconfig space.

You could also check to see if the Picasso card is already in Segmented mode and if so take off the jumper.

Which RTG software are you using (if any).
Its definatley worth a go removing the SIMMS. I did wonder if the card was mapping itself to the same location as the A2630 so will search out a tool to try and see. I tried the card in both Segmented and non Segmented mode with the same result...I do softkick to 3.1 so might using KS 2.0 and see if that makes a difference..

I havent had a chance to installing any RTG software as the miggy bombs out pretty much after Workbench has loaded.. oh and the A2630 does have 4 meg..

I do think its either the SCSI card or the Picasso though as it seems to work ok when either is removed..
Old 14 December 2006, 02:16   #6
Highwayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
Doh I should have read all of your post before replying!

You disabled all the RAM on the SCSI card via jumpers and it still didnt work.... hmmm

Physically removing the RAM also would be a thing to try.

Changing Zorro slots also couldnt hurt... swap the two cards round.
haha I should of done the same thing! I have 4 free zorro slots and have tried them all..
Old 14 December 2006, 02:27   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It isnt so much the slots as to whether one board is to the left or the right of the other. If you just moved one of the cards around and the other was kept at one extreme so the two boards never swapped places then you could still have one more configuration to try.

P.S. That DKB2632 looks like a cool board, might be worth keeping your eye open for one.
Old 14 December 2006, 13:41   #8
Highwayman

its a lame question but how do I remove the simms on the GVP card, it doesnt have any clips or anything..
Old 14 December 2006, 14:39   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Pull? (answer I dont know)
Old 14 December 2006, 16:57   #10
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
It seems they just pull out.
Old 15 December 2006, 01:39   #11
Highwayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope
It seems they just pull out.
the only thing that got pulled out today was my hair .. Its a pity I dont have another miggy to test it on.. Anyone in Hampshire have a spare A1500/A2000 I can test it on.. it was sold on Ebay as untested unfortionaley (probably explains why it was cheap!)
Old 15 December 2006, 10:27   #12
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman
Hi,

My Picasso II arrived from Ebay today, plugged it in, showconfig picked up a 2 meg board.. Didnt see any more fast ram but didnt expect to with a video card...
I thought you lived in Canada ? (Thats where I sent it).
Old 15 December 2006, 10:31   #13
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman
the only thing that got pulled out today was my hair .. Its a pity I dont have another miggy to test it on.. Anyone in Hampshire have a spare A1500/A2000 I can test it on.. it was sold on Ebay as untested unfortionaley (probably explains why it was cheap!)
Sorry, I take back my last message, I showed mine working, this is a different one.

Throw it into the Itchen Maybe ?? Being a Supporter of Pompey, I dont really hold much faith in those Southampton people. Saints Suck !!!

[edit] Bless that Portsmouth <--> Southampton Rivalry

Last edited by whiteb; 15 December 2006 at 10:37.
Old 15 December 2006, 22:55   #14
Highwayman

Throw it into the Itchen Maybe ?? Being a Supporter of Pompey, I dont really hold much faith in those Southampton people. Saints Suck !!!

Hahahahahaha its funny because its true!!!

[edit] Bless that Portsmouth <--> Southampton Rivalry [/quote]

nuffink rong wiv Portzmuff!

apologies for the off topic but it did make me laugh. and thats a good thing!
AdSense AdSense