-SCSIKIT
-MEDIATOR
-VOODOO3
-ETHERNET
-SPIDER2
-TV CARD

-2 HDS
-2 CD DRIVE.

and wondering if all could be powered with a 80W pico PSU (or 120W).

- I'm searching amiga users who use Pico PSU with this kind of hardware.

and

- estimated Watts for amiga compoments listed on this thread.

It's more or less a genreal thread to know if amiga computers could all use Pico PSUS for amigas in tower with all silents ;-)
Old 31 August 2009, 10:33   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@mrodfr

A PicoPSU of 120 watts (12volts @ 10amps) will provide the following to be noted

Via the ATX connector ( 25-30watt usage )

3.3v @ 8 amps max
5.0v @ 5.5 amps max

using the Molex connectors ( 100 watt +5 / 120 watt +12)

5.0v @ 20 amps
12v @ 10 amps

----------------------

those are the manufacturers spec, I found in operation to be a good 15-20% lower espcially on the ATX connector.
Old 31 August 2009, 10:39   #3
mrodfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@mrodfr

A PicoPSU of 120 watts (12volts @ 10amps) will provide the following to be noted

Via the ATX connector ( 25-30watt usage )

3.3v @ 8 amps max
5.0v @ 5.5 amps max
Hum, no problem for the molex but It's the ATX connector the problem....

because: amiga CM, 1260+scsikit+mediator+4 PCI hardware+floppy+accessories surely more than 25-30 Watts ????

I have right ??? It's not possible, isn't IT :-(

NOTE: as you could see, watts and cie aren't my friend ;-)

NOTE2: Hum, It's wrong what I have said before, because on this link:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article601-page4.html

we could see a big PC using a Pico PSU without problem.

Last edited by mrodfr; 31 August 2009 at 10:44.
Old 31 August 2009, 12:44   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@mrodfr

The 120watt specs say that the Pico can provide 5volts at 6 amps (30 watts) on the ATX +5, this is considered NOT PEAK load.

the A1200 PSU could only push 25 watts at voltages of +5 / +12 (-12 is governed to 1amp max)

to be honest I would be VERY cautious with the mediator and its devices a Voodoo5500 PCI card would use a lot of that on its own, with a blizzy 1260&SCSI kit, this would be a little too close to the 30watt load for my liking....

the PICOPSU is great for the ITX (and pentium) boards that dont need as much +5 juice (they get it from the +12 instead) there are some Micro Power boards that would provide a good 200 watt power with upto 10amps on the +5 (50 watts)

After dinner I will look around to find you some online for your project =D
Old 31 August 2009, 13:03   #5
mrodfr

hello,

thanks for answering. Of course as allready said, I know nothing about electricity and power needed ;-).

Was surprised to learn, with your answer, that no problems for additionnal hardware like HD or CD drive or the floppy and problems with the ATX power supply maybe too short for CM+1260+scsikit+mediator+4 PCI cards.

Thanks for taking a look after your dinner for, finally, a general question:

A A1200 in tower could use a picoPSU or not ????

EDIT: As said, I don't understand the, maybe, big PC ,used on the test on the silentPC link I have given.
Old 31 August 2009, 13:14   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@mrodfr

Using the The best 120watt Pico PSU solution I dont think would be enough (on the ATX connector) so NO it wont power it my friend.

IMHO trying to power the following Motherboard / A1260 / SCSI / Mediator and 4 PCI cards on 6amps +5 is going to damage the PicoPSU irreperably.

I base this knowledge (not just on the numbers) but also on experience. I had a 120watt PicoPSU (with 12v@10amp plug pack) try to power up a PICMG Athlon based SBC, alas the card tried to draw more than the Pico is rated for (9amps) and promptly killed the ATX +5v (the PICMG SBC wasn't well documented on the Power requirements)
Old 31 August 2009, 13:34   #7
mrodfr

OK. Thanks for the answer and taking the time to take a look. The answer was clear, It's not possible.

I have changed the original dbox power supply by:

- first an antec earthwatts 350W but impossible to fit all the verry longer cables inside the tower.

- now with an neopower 420W (modular that mean only ATX and one molex rail. verry clean inside even if one bay are used for the verry longer 50 cm ATX cable.

2 point:

1. more silent than witht he original power supply (fan verry slow) and finally the external of the case is more hot than with the original power supply (but the antec power supply is cold). look like this power supply arrive to exhaust all the hot air outside.

2. if I not powered the external zip SCSI drive, the amiga boot but not start. if I powered the external zip scsi, amiga boot fine. verry funny. No problem with the previous original dbox power supply (tracer 350W).

this tracer 350w work half an hour during hot summer days and the amiga reset (with the panel of the tower) and work fine without. This is why I have changed the power supply.

BTW, wondering if picoPSU work for decreasing the electricity bill, at home (and little more silent) ;-)

thanks again for answering me...
Old 31 August 2009, 14:17   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@mrodfr

no need to thank me my friend, its what we are all here for =D

now I have had a look on a lot of ITX companies as well as a good google search, Alas for your need I cannot recomend any ITX / Pico based PSU, even though there are some that are rated to 200 watts, theseare at FULL load, and still only provides the +5v @ 6 amps.

However I did find a VERY small 300watt Micro ATX for £14.49

you can get this from ebuyer.com, but you may find it cheaper looking around more locally my friend.

This particualr PSU provides more than enough juice for you Mediator / A1260 setup

ahh.... yes... the classic "decreasing the electricity bill"

Modern PSU's only draw what they use, so if you are using 150 watts on a 400 watt PSU, then 150 watts is all the PSU will take from the wall.

If you use more, you will obviously be drawing more from the wall, it all comes down to current draw
Old 31 August 2009, 14:43   #9
mrodfr

Hello,

I'm using now the antec neopower 420W and maybe this power supply is too efficiency to exhaust the hot air outside to make the external dbox more hot ;-)

one point is I'm not sure the micro ATX power supply you described will fit greatly on an AT power supply case (screw fixing,...)

As I have said, my sugegstion is to use a modular POwer supply (for removing unnecessary cables) than one with all the cables (because not allways lots of place on amiga cases).

Too bad my dream to have my amiga tower with a picoPSU is now finished but now I know why:-(
Old 31 August 2009, 15:36   #10
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Too bad the D-Box's backpanel don't have a place to screw a second exhaust fan.

That will solve you heat problems.

If you have a spare PCI slot, just put one of those exhaust fans on it, the Voodoo board is the responsible for far more than 50% of the heat generated by this setup.
Old 01 September 2009, 08:59   #11
mrodfr

@rkauer

I haven't real hot problem with the Dbox untill now. Untill 8 hours of running the 1200 the sunday on winter, no problems and little little hot the summer (from 2004 to 2009).

This year, the dbox reboot after half an hour this summer with the left and right plate on the Dbox and no problem without. the original tracer 350W power supply more hot than usually this year (tested with my hand) ;-).

Baught a antec earthwatt 350W and not possible to fit on the Dbox because too much and longer PC cables :-( not tried to remove some original cable but maybe one day - this power supply is 85% efficient

Actually fitted with an antec 420W neopower (but not 80plus than the earthwatt) but this power supply maybe much better arrive to make more hot the external Dbox (around the power supply).

This neopover is modular and just put the necessary cables and It's verry great IMHO !! ;-)

Maybe the fan on the power supply is verry efficient and low noise than mean he remove all the hot air fom the internal of the case and that surprise me ;-)

I have fitted a fan on the front part of the dbox tower (who flow the air on the 2 HD) and make a support for a 50mm fan perpendicular of the 1260 (for security).

yesterday, I have just a dream to power all with a picoPSU and too bad not possible. my main idea was not enough for the molex and It's the contrary ??? It's like that......