Old 01 July 2005, 22:56   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Commodore 64, Amiga, Spectrum Games to be Re-Released

Interesting...

http://news.spong.com/x?art=8865

little snippet:
Quote:
...Targeting Commodore 64, Spectrum and Amiga enthusiasts amongst others, Alten8 will be manufacturing and distributing tapes and discs for original home computers...
Old 02 July 2005, 00:28   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Interesting, but that raises another question. If a company negotiates agreements with publishers for the rights to publish retro titles on the original media, I suspect that there will be a renewed push by that company to enforce the copyrights for those titles. If that happens, sites that make disk images freely available for download may be getting "nasty-grams" from lawyers demanding that they remove those titles from their sites. That will be something to keep an eye on.
Old 02 July 2005, 08:53   #3
woody57

Question Sounds Like we heard it before

If you follow the link in the article it takes you to this http://www.download-trader.com/cat.php?cat=17

Now without trying to just bash all companies they at least have a sales website but the above link shows the ONLY PC software they apear to offer which is more a case of ADD ONS than programs {No Retro Platform Available YET EIETHER }

Maybe this is a just another small time one man bedroom setup that suddenly got a BRIGHT idea " Lets see if I can make money out of Retro Software ? "

So I can't really take it that seriously as they also ask for NEW SOFTWARE and games writers to SIGN with them on a NO GUARENTEED MONEY YET DEAL...... BUT... MAYBE LATER !.........Now where have we heard that before ??

Last edited by woody57; 02 July 2005 at 09:02.
Old 02 July 2005, 09:54   #4
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Well I welcome this move I sure hope we dont end up being forced to remove a bunch of retro games because of this
Old 18 July 2005, 19:17   #5
Fenrir

If they are going to release old Amiga games again I hope they're going to make them compatible for every Amiga machine - old 500 games compatible on plus and 1200/4000.
Sometimes it's really annoying :a
Old 18 July 2005, 19:52   #6
Peanutuk

I can't access the article. It tells me to click on a link that does nothing. Still it smells fishy to me
Old 19 July 2005, 15:33   #7
Shrub

I'd like to see some classic Spectrum and Amiga games released for the GBA or DS. Frontier, Civilization and Lemmings would work well on the DS with it's stylus touch screen. Populous, Dizzy and the original Elite would work well on the GBA. Games like these very rarely appear on consoles, especially nowadays, so it'll be a treat to see them.
Old 19 July 2005, 19:56   #8
Fenrir

I don't know why people love Dizzy games but well, I can't know everything :P. But amiga games on japanese consoles will be really hard, unless we can have a way to put emulators+games in a DS cartridge and make it work. It'd be the only reason for me to buy a DS too.
Old 19 July 2005, 20:52   #9
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Dizzy is fuxxin awesome mate .. Damn fine n dandy games
Old 19 July 2005, 22:11   #10
Shrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir
I don't know why people love Dizzy games but well, I can't know everything :P. But amiga games on japanese consoles will be really hard, unless we can have a way to put emulators+games in a DS cartridge and make it work. It'd be the only reason for me to buy a DS too.
There are some emulators for the GBA available. There are a few NES emulators, but I don't think any of them support Elite just yet, but Lemmings and Dizzy work as far I know. Populous and Lemmings for the GB work on GBA emulators too (GB emulators are needed for flash carts). There's a SNES emulator too, but it's slow on the GBA, and SNES ports of Amiga games tend to be fluffy and too simple anyway (look at Synidcate, ThemePark, and Civilization, ) but, it's unlikely they'll ever be an Amiga emulator. Unless I can guilt-trip one of you lot to code one :P

There's some emulators for the DS, I think, but most are in the early stages. It supports the GBA emulators anyway

You'll be interested in the M3 movie player by GBAlpha for the DS if you're into emulation. It uses CF cards instead of the proprietry flash carts "back up" devices use, and it has movie playback, music (though, if this version doesn't have an mp3 decoder or something any songs played on it will have to use the GBA's terrible soundchip) and ebook read. I'm presuming, from their site, that the emulators for the M3 card use the GBA hardware and not the DS chip, unless there are some wokring emulators for the DS that I don't know about yet.
There's 2 older versions for the GBA that work on the DS too, but they don't have any inbuilt RAM so emulation is severely limited - only a modified version of Pocketnes and Goomba compiled with small GB roms work so far.
I have the M2 and I'm quite impressed with it, really, and only cost me £15. It's just a shame about the music playback. The M3 has 128MB of built in RAM apparently, so it's probable it'll have a decent sound chip too.

Last edited by Shrub; 19 July 2005 at 22:18.