English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 August 2008, 20:31   #21
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i like Diggers and Lemmings, but comparing the two is like comparing Dune 2 with Gravity Power. the aims and the styles of gameplay are totally different.
Old 14 August 2008, 00:15   #22
Harrison
classicamiga.com

I still like both games. I played the original Lemmings right through a few times as it came bundled with my first Amiga, and then I played Diggers none stop when I got it with my CD32 as part of the fantastic Voyage pack, and managed to complete it with each race. Diggers is one of my favourite Amiga games and holds some great memories.
Old 14 August 2008, 04:01   #23
Pyromania

Both games are good.
Old 26 November 2008, 22:14   #24
humble worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post

Will be a hard job to find people who like Diggers more than Lemmings
I love Diggers, it is one of few games I have finished. Even got my favourite digging system . the gfx and sound... yummy

IMHO Diggers had a great potential which was wasted, it looks as if the deadline was getting closer and designers gave up. The game had many shortcomings, it is too easy + it is something like somebody showed you a candy and then threw it into a stool... Just check all the shiny, fabulous machines - they were meant to increase your chances (most of them help you dig faster). condition of winning a level is to gather some amount of cash before an enemy does it, so when you purchase large mole (for example) you diminish your chances - the toy is expensive and it probably wont return its cost before the enemy earns the money digging for gems with bare hands
other issue is the "lemming behaviour" of your miners - it makes the game more difficult (in a rather cheap way) but also makes buying some machines pointless... why to buy an elevator or rails/wagons when single stupid move of your digger can spoil your whole mining conception or/and isolate you from part of your mine with your expensive trash.

perfect diggers would be a game with much higher amount of money to be gained to finish a level, much bigger "digging space", without the "lemming feature" and with 2 player mode (or, at least, something like AI)

still small mole is a good thing, stuff like explosives, flood gates, bridges are often useful - especially when you spot a pink gem and make an excursion for it (worth a lot, always guarded by some creatures or hidden behind terrain obstacles)

My great expectation - Extractors ended up as a demo which doesnt load

As for Lemmings - i liked it, but for many years i have not felt any need to give it a spin, its just boring to me

Last edited by humble worm; 26 November 2008 at 22:31.
Old 26 November 2008, 22:30   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

So now that we've found one maybe there are other people that are more into Diggers too
Lemmings (especially with the loads of 'level' disks) is really fun. Diggers looked a bit like a failed clone (IMHO even Humans was more fun...), but well that are just my two cents
Old 27 November 2008, 07:48   #26
onkelarie

i can only agree with the topic starter. I loved the ambiance of diggers and the sense of achievement when i found a rare gem. Lemmings could only keep me interested for about 5 levels ...
Old 27 November 2008, 09:54   #27
mailman
Zone Friend

Diggers is very over-rated game. It has original concept spoiled by lack of invention. The game is very boring and repetetive. There is no real competition. Just another level and another level and another level. There is no real use for all the machines available in the game. They are just "killing time stuff" so the player could do something during the work of the miners. Machines are not passed onto the next levels so there is no real point in buying them, especially when you can easily complete the game without them. At the beginning this game is really a pearl but when you are more and more into it you discover that it is boring as hell.
Old 27 November 2008, 10:33   #28
blade002
Zone Friend

One thing i will say about Diggers is that i love its beautifully drawn graphics ( mostly the static screens ), and although i would say Lemmings is the better game, i have probably spent more time on Diggers than Lemmings, so using that logic of mine what the fuck am i on about!!?

Someone grab a Pick Axe from Diggers and put it through my head
Old 27 November 2008, 10:42   #29
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
One thing i will say about Diggers is that i love its beautifully drawn graphics ( mostly the static screens ), and although i would say Lemmings is the better game, i have probably spent more time on Diggers than Lemmings, so using that logic of mine what the fuck am i on about!!?

Someone grab a Pick Axe from Diggers and put it through my head
You're a graphic loving wh**e, that's what you are blade
Don't worry, I'm also one of them (the Beast series is one example ). It's just Lemmings is so much fun to play, that the graphics doesn't count so much (and aren't bad either )