English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 February 2007, 15:52   #41
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuChicken
ADZ's are just zipped ADF files...
Not true. They are GZipped, not PKZipped. Why would you spread such false rumours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuChicken
rename the ADZ to .zip and you can usually extract the adf like you would a normal zip file.
If you can do that, then your "zip" archive program (WinRAR or WinZip etc.) supports GZip. They are definately NOT PKZip files.

Look at the proof on the web

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Disk_File

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
There is also an ADF file format called ADZ which is a Gzip compressed ADF file.
http://www.convert-extensions.com/fo...isk-Image.html

Quote:
ADZ - Amiga GZ-Packed Disk Image (Amiga)

Last edited by alexh; 01 February 2007 at 15:57.
Old 01 February 2007, 16:59   #42
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I don't think emu was contradicting anyone

He's very simple and only knows 'zip'. PKZip and GZip to him are types of motor oil.
Old 01 February 2007, 20:06   #43
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Oh, ok. My bad.
Old 06 February 2007, 22:26   #44
ppill
CON: artist

Hombre's nearly there. (Bear with me guys )

I just want to add extra keymaps to the devs/keymaps folder and as I got only two (usa1, dk) I wondered if some of you would be so kind and send a couple more (especially for those german keyboards). There's a program on the disk to make your own keymaps (SetKey) but still it would be nice to have some readymade ones.

Thanks
email:
ppill_you-know-what-to-add_tlen.pl
Old 07 February 2007, 06:04   #45
EmuChicken

uh, didnt mean to get you in a chuff... as kg said, yeah I thought all zip files were similar, yet I was wrong... I'm used to the "PKZip" on the pc, obviously its a different system then, doh!

I'm more of an Amiga gamer btw :-p
Old 07 February 2007, 09:52   #46
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

FYI: Zip is the compression algorithm. GZip just applies that compression to the binary file it is given.

PKZip is an Archiver which uses the zip compression algorithm. Archiver means that it can bring together multiple files (and directories) into one file before compression and put them back on decompression.

Although in no way the same, PKZip is akin to Tar-GZip.
Old 07 February 2007, 10:26   #47
EmuChicken

Quote:
Archiver means that it can bring together multiple files (and directories) into one file before compression and put them back on decompression.
With that line alone I feel like you're playing me like a complete dumbass. thanks.

I was under the impression that all zip archivers followed the similar algorythm, possibly in a different way, so all zip archivers basically created the similar file in the end which was portable as to speak. Obviously you cant open LHA files using pkunzip or whatever, I just thought all Zip files followed the same type.

As I said before, PKzip/ PKUnzip command lines were released on the PC, and pretty much set the standard for ZIP on the PC (Winzip just followed that as a Win32 executable / GUI) ... but if for the Amiga PKUnzip made a different format, as you said... fair enough.

heres another cheer for the people who get on off on knowing more than other people and rubbing it in their faces. hope you had a good one
Old 07 February 2007, 10:50   #48
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Hey you are smarter than me. I had to look up "Archiver" in this context before I knew what it meant
Old 07 February 2007, 11:02   #49
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

So Gzip can only be used on single files?

EDIT: Which I presume is why files are tar.gz because the tar is used to archive all of the gzip files together
Old 07 February 2007, 12:47   #50
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Which I presume is why files are tar.gz because the tar is used to archive all of the gzip files together
wow. totally off topic but this talk had just enlightened me on one of linux's mysteries thanks !
Old 07 February 2007, 13:22   #51
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah sorry for drifting off topic, I never knew this before today (If I was correct!)

I do really like this Hombre project, seems exactly what the Amiga community needs. I hope NOT to see this on ebay in a month however!
Old 07 February 2007, 17:59   #52
ppill

Quote:
So Gzip can only be used on single files?

EDIT: Which I presume is why files are tar.gz because the tar is used to archive all of the gzip files together
Well, it's the other way around. You tar all the files together and then gzip it
Old 07 February 2007, 18:08   #53
ppill

Quote:
I do really like this Hombre project, seems exactly what the Amiga community needs. I hope NOT to see this on ebay in a month however!
If any nobhead tries to sell it then I'm just gonna have inform the moderators/administrators of a site and simply inform them that what a given user is doing is against the law. Simple.

I want Hombre to spread just like the disks in the good old days -- swapping. I'll start a thread once it's released asking for links to sites from various countries where people could ask someone to send them a copy.

For example in Poland you should find people willing to send anyone a disk (for a small fee covering the price of a disk and postage) on these sites:

www.ppa.pl
www.exec.pl
www.cconline.pl
www.amiscena.org
Old 01 March 2007, 11:29   #54
ppill

Since links on other sites point to this thread (thanks Sune for spreading the word), I'd just like to add that the first public release of Hombre is out and you can get it here:

http://wiki.abime.net/transfer:Hombre
Old 02 March 2007, 11:59   #55
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill
Since links on other sites point to this thread (thanks Sune for spreading the word), I'd just like to add that the first public release of Hombre is out and you can get it here:

http://wiki.abime.net/transfer:Hombre
Checking it out for sure!

PZ.
Old 11 March 2007, 14:27   #56
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Is it possible to have Compact Flash Device installed on the Hombre disk so that it mounts the card if present?

Then A600/A1200 users with no hard drive can use a compact Flash card + PCMCIA adapter to transfer files to their Amiga for dumping?

FAT95 is already on the disk.

I know it is a bit out of the scope of Hombre but if there is room on the disk and it wouldnt screw anything up on Amiga's with no PCMCIA port it would be good.
Old 11 March 2007, 15:13   #57
ppill

I'm just working on the next release and I've got 100kb free space on the disk. I've got to fit a PowerPacker compatible TextViewer, docs, some sort of AUX: device and other bits and pieces. If there will be any space left I can't see why not.
But I'm already working on something better for A1200 users. Booting ClassiWB setups from HDF files on a CF FAT formatted card
Check this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=28217
Old 01 June 2007, 02:20   #58
frantic

@ppill: Let me know if you need help with testing or something. I have a 1.3 a500 with harddrive and a nice null modem cable.
Old 01 June 2007, 10:16   #59
ppill

Thanks for the offer. Next release is almost ready (if I get my sh*t together it should be out next week). If you've got a working WinUAE setup, HyperTerminal (or some other term) and ADF Sender Terminal you can try all the features regarding serial transfers. Just tell me where to send an ADF with the latest version
Old 14 June 2007, 20:13   #60
frantic

Did this project get finished?