English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 22 June 2018, 14:09   #1
Foebane
Banned

RAM Disk: Where are the files here stored?

I've decided to use the RAM Disk for extracting archives to run the files from within them, and there is a Disk.info for the RAM Disk icon on Workbench, but at some point I extracted an archive that replaced the Disk.info with its own, and ruined the look of the Workbench.

So what I'm asking is, where in the System HDD can I find the files that appear within the RAM Disk: device, to make backups?
Old 22 June 2018, 14:10   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
DH0:Prefs/ENV-archive I think? Not sure just now, but you can read it in DH0:s/startup-sequence.
Old 22 June 2018, 14:25   #3
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
DH0:Prefs/ENV-archive I think? Not sure just now, but you can read it in DH0:s/startup-sequence.
Is there no folder in the DH0: root directory that contains them?
Old 22 June 2018, 14:28   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
yes there is, and the folder is prefs/env-archive I believe
Old 22 June 2018, 14:36   #5
meynaf
son of 68k

Files in ram: are copied from envarc: (usually prefs/env-archive) at startup.
So you can alter what you have in ram disk without any care - next reboot and everything will be like before.
And you can just backup your hdd, no need to do anything special for ram:.
Old 22 June 2018, 18:39   #6
Foebane
Banned

Are you saying that if the files in RAM: are overwritten and THEN deleted, they will be restored to normal upon reset from the ENVARC: backups?

I tried deleting everything from RAM: and whilst the Disk.info and the single file in T were deleted, the folders were in use. Still, upon resetting, those files were restored.

I'm just wondering why the RAM: icon stayed changed after the overwrite and upon reset - maybe because I hadn't deleted it?

I can't see any files in ENVARC: relating to the RAM Disk - should I just remain assured that they're there and to count my blessings and leave it alone?
Old 22 June 2018, 19:02   #7
meynaf
son of 68k

Errh... do you know what RAM is ?
Upon power up it is empty. So ENVARC: contents get copied to it. There is nothing to overwrite nor to delete.
If your ram disk icon has changed permanently, then the file that got overwritten wasn't in RAM. It was somewhere in your HD. If it's copying some disk.info to ram: that changed it then some program monitors that change and saves that file somewhere.
Default disk icon is normally env/sys/def_disk.info. Perhaps having a look there could tell more.
Old 22 June 2018, 19:20   #8
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Errh... do you know what RAM is ?
Upon power up it is empty. So ENVARC: contents get copied to it. There is nothing to overwrite nor to delete.
If your ram disk icon has changed permanently, then the file that got overwritten wasn't in RAM. It was somewhere in your HD. If it's copying some disk.info to ram: that changed it then some program monitors that change and saves that file somewhere.
Default disk icon is normally env/sys/def_disk.info. Perhaps having a look there could tell more.
Well, I'm on Bloodwych's ClassicWB Lite and I've been using Dopus to extract lha/lzx/zip archives from a Windows folder on the left to the RAM Disk on the right ("Arc Ext"). At some point, I was asked if I wanted to overwrite the Disk.info in the target folder (RAM) and that was when the permanent change occurred. I don't think it would've affected any DH0: (System) files.

I think my safest bet is to just not overwrite "Disk.info" or "file_id.diz" or anything like that. I'll see how I get on.
Old 22 June 2018, 19:58   #9
meynaf
son of 68k

My guess is that some program noticed ram:disk.info changed and copied the file to the HD. Yes it did affect something on DH0.
If you want to avoid this the next time, the best way is to create some new dir in RAM: and then extract there.
Old 22 June 2018, 20:21   #10
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
My guess is that some program noticed ram:disk.info changed and copied the file to the HD. Yes it did affect something on DH0.
If you want to avoid this the next time, the best way is to create some new dir in RAM: and then extract there.
Can I modify a script to create a temporary folder in RAM:? Maybe the startup-sequence? If so, I'm not sure where. Then I could modify Dopus to start in that folder and I'd be able to extract there, just like that, with the files isolated from the software as you described it.

Last edited by Foebane; 22 June 2018 at 20:49.
Old 22 June 2018, 20:59   #11
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Can I modify a script to create a temporary folder in RAM:? Maybe the startup-sequence? If so, I'm not sure where. Then I could modify Dopus to start in that folder and I'd be able to extract there, just like that, with the files isolated from the software as you described it.
It's not difficult to create a folder before extracting...
Anyway you already have a temporary folder in RAM: that's created at startup. It's called T.
Old 22 June 2018, 21:06   #12
daxb

If you really want to have a temporary directory in RAM: when using DOpus, then I would recommend to start DOpus from a script where you also create the directory in RAM:. E.g.
Code:
makedir Ram:mydir
DOpus
delete Ram:mydir   ; optional if you want to delete the dir when quit DOpus
I also thought about the Ram:T directory but you will have other files there sometimes.
Old 22 June 2018, 21:18   #13
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
If you really want to have a temporary directory in RAM: when using DOpus, then I would recommend to start DOpus from a script where you also create the directory in RAM:. E.g.
Code:
makedir Ram:mydir
DOpus
delete Ram:mydir   ; optional if you want to delete the dir when quit DOpus
I also thought about the Ram:T directory but you will have other files there sometimes.
Yeah, I thought the same thing, would be easier than what I suggested. I could also modify Dopus to start from that temporary directory on the right side. It would be neater. Thanks for the code, daxb.
Old 23 June 2018, 05:50   #14
Foebane
Banned

I've got this working script, and along with starting DOpus in the new folder in RAM:, it's worked fine:

Code:
MAKEDIR RAM:DemoZone
ASSIGN DOpus: SYS:Programs/DirOpus4
SYS:Programs/DirOpus4/DirectoryOpus
I think having to have those two lines just to run DOpus is a bit much, however. But the Assign line IS needed, it seems.
Old 23 June 2018, 11:31   #15
Hewitson

You should have the DirOpus assign in S:User-Startup.
Old 23 June 2018, 12:10   #16
Foebane
Banned

Does it really matter? I have a couple of demos that need Assign commands, and I just assign them right there and then when I run them.

The way I have things, I can restore ClassicWB to a fresh install by simply overwriting the HDF, and I have a zip containing a patch which simply adds and/or replaces certain files, just so I don't have to set everything up each time. I really would like to change as few files as possible.

Thanks for the advice and info, all of you, anyway. The system is working fine, and better than ever. I cannot believe I was trying to use large HDDs to store the demos, when I simply needed a place to temporarily extract and run them. I don't need any RDB HDF files any more. I don't know why I didn't think of it in the first place.
Old 23 June 2018, 12:48   #17
daxb

Where and when the DOpus4 assign is done is just a thing of preference. There exists a version of DOpus4 (4.17) that doesn't need an assign and has some features like long filenames.
Old 23 June 2018, 13:28   #18
tero

4.16 doesn't need an assign either, but only when startet from wb. If you start dopus from cli it still needs the assign. I guess that's true for 4.17 too.

btw: ClassicWB copies the ram icon from the s: drawer.
Old 23 June 2018, 13:57   #19
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
If you start dopus from cli it still needs the assign. I guess that's true for 4.17 too.
Here it doesn't need an assign when started from CLI.
Old 23 June 2018, 15:02   #20
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Does it really matter? I have a couple of demos that need Assign commands, and I just assign them right there and then when I run them.
Demos are only run very occasionally. Most people who use DOpus would run it almost every time the machine was booted.

What I'm getting at, is it would be nice to eliminate the script you're currently using to run it. It's simply unnecessary (as is a temporary directory on what is already a temporary drive!)