English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 15 June 2010, 08:50   #1
mingle

P96 (UAE) probs with Classic WB Full

Hi,

I was using the ClassicWB Full system on my Amiga 4000 and also use it with WinUAE.

I wanted to try and use RTG (under WinUAE), so I installed P96. However, I'm haveing problems.

When I select one of the uaegfx screen modes in the WB screen mode prefs it works fine, however once I reboot, I get an error message:

"Picasso 96: Could not create graphics board context for 'UAE', please check your Picasso 96 installation!"

(I'm pretty sure my P96 install is fine)

And the Workbench is an ugly, old 4 colour PAL one! I also get a System Request popup at the same time: "Intuition is attempting to reset the Workbench scree. please close all windows, except drawers."

Can anyone suggest what the problem could be?

Is it something related to Scalos?

I'd like to keep the Classic WB Full, as I like the 'feel' of it... But RTG would also be nice... :-)

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 15 June 2010, 09:12   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingle View Post
"Picasso 96: Could not create graphics board context for 'UAE', please check your Picasso 96 installation!"
This message usually appears if uaegfx is run twice. Check startup-sequence and user-startup if there is a mention of uaegfx besides loadmondrvs and/or list devs/monitors ... execute ...
Old 15 June 2010, 09:54   #3
mingle

Hi,

Thanks for the reply...

I've checked and there is no reference to uaegfx in S:startup-sequence or s:user-startup

Mike.
Old 15 June 2010, 10:32   #4
Bloodwych

You need to go to the top Settings menu and disable FBlit and the Copper background. They will not work with P96. I think that's all that needs changing going from memory.

There is already a P96 version of ClassicWB - take a look at that too. It had many changes and new libs specifically for running in P96 modes.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 15 June 2010 at 11:13.
Old 15 June 2010, 12:33   #5
mingle

Hi,

Thanks for the info... I gave it a try and it still behaves the same way (same errors)...

Any other suggestions? :-)

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 15 June 2010, 12:50   #6
thomas

Any other information?
Old 15 June 2010, 14:08   #7
Bloodwych

As Thomas said, what is your WinUAE config? Have you given it some RTG memory?
Old 15 June 2010, 14:23   #8
mingle

Hmm... Not too sure what to say, other than I have it set up as an A1200 with 128MB of Z3 Fast RAM, 32MB RTG, KS3.1 ROM, compatible settings, etc...

Are you able to try out a basic ClassiC WB Full config at your end with a clean install of P96 to see if you get the same error?

Thanks for your time on this...

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 15 June 2010, 14:34   #9
thomas

Quote:
Are you able to try out a basic ClassiC WB Full config at your end with a clean install of P96 to see if you get the same error?
I'll try at home tonight. Here at work the internet PC is occupied by the football champion chip broadcast.
Old 15 June 2010, 17:44   #10
thomas

Ok, I tried it and it behaves exactly as you described. The reason is what Bloodwych wrote:

1- the packaged config file comes without a gfx board. You need to add one otherwise the driver has nothing to drive. That's what the error message is trying to tell you. Go to the Expansion page and add some RTG memory.

2- FBlit has to be disabled, otherwise WinUAE will crash with a minidump. Not sure about Copper, I just disabled it because it does not work on gfx board screens anyway.
Old 15 June 2010, 18:00   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

JIT-only crash? If not, attach the dump file
Old 16 June 2010, 06:39   #12
mingle

@Thomas,

I have the RTG Grpahics memory set to be the same as my GFX card (32MB), and FBlit is disabled, but still get the same problem:

After a reboot, I get the above warning messages, then Workbench appears, but only in 640x256x4 (PAL Hires).

When I go into Screenmode prefs, the settings are still correct (ie: UAE: 1024 x 768, or whatever) and when I click on the "Use" or "Save" buttons the screen mode them switches to the correct one and all is well...

It just seems to be after a reboot it can't set the correct screen mode.

Could it be something related to ScalOS?

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 16 June 2010, 13:38   #13
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
JIT-only crash? If not, attach the dump file
I'm not able to reproduce the crash any more. Tried on three different computers with different operating systems.

Quote:
but still get the same problem
Everything works as expected here. 32 MB gfx memory seems to be a rather old computer. And the simple fact that you have enough time to read the error message suggests that it is very slow, too. Probably it's time to upgrade to a more modern machine.

Quote:
After a reboot, I get the above warning messages, then Workbench appears, but only in 640x256x4 (PAL Hires).
The Shell window with the error message should disappear by itself and if you then click on Retry, the screen mode should change as desired.

Quote:
When I go into Screenmode prefs, the settings are still correct
If the screenmode program lists uaegfx modes, then the uaegfx program has been run successfully once. That the error message appears nevertheless IMHO means that it is run another time, so you should again check your startup scripts or directories if uaegfx is run more than once.

Last edited by thomas; 16 June 2010 at 13:43.
Old 16 June 2010, 15:11   #14
PeterK

If there is a file "DEVS:Picasso96Settings" then please delete it. It causes conflicts under WinUAE.

And never use "Prefs/Picasso96Mode" under WinUAE. Delete it, too.
Old 16 June 2010, 16:09   #15
mingle

@Thomas,

The PC is a P4 3.0HT, which is not too slow! :-)

Yes, the shell window with the Picasso96 warning does close by itself, but when I click "Retry" on the intuition message, it just reappears - only 'cancel' gets rid of it...

When you say "uaegfx", do you mean Picasso96?

I've checked both startup-sequence and user-startup and the only reference to P96 is the assign at the the end of user-startup for Picasso96.

I've also (since I'm getting desperate! :-)) completely deleted ALL Picasso96 files and drawers and every other reference to it I can find.

Now this is REALLY strange: When I now reboot, it seems that Picasso96 is still there as I now get the error message:

"Picasso96: could not open rtg.library! Please check you Picasso96 installation! Picasso96: could not open rtg.library!"

So where the heck is Picasso96 hiding?! It's completely removed from my DH0: Is it built into WinUAE if I have RTG memory enabled?

Now I'm getting confused! :-)

Mike.
Old 16 June 2010, 16:27   #16
mingle

Bit of an update:

I can now see that the uaegfx monitor (in DEVS:monitors) seems to be causing the Picasso96 warning...

Also, what's the difference between the "UAE" and "uaegfx" files in DEVS:Monitors?

Maybe I have an old/buggy uae monitor file - see the attached image for the tooltypes for my uaegfx monitor file:

@Thomas - I also tried clicking "Retry" a couple more times - it worked on the second attempt!

I can feel we're getting closer to a solution! :-)

Thanks again for everyone's time in reading my ramblings!

Cheers,

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	741
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	25613  
Old 16 June 2010, 16:30   #17
PeterK

Yes indeed, Toni has included some parts of the P96 uaegfx driver directly into the most recent versions of WinUAE.exe, if I remember it correctly. I just don't know if this was "Devs/Monitors/Uaegfx" or "Libs/Picasso96/uaegfx.card" or both, but I guess it was uaegfx.card only.

But, you will still need all other Picasso96 files, except for Devs/Picasso96Settings and Prefs/Picasso96Mode.

There should be the following files installed on your system:
Devs:Monitors/uaegfx and important: Devs/Monitors/uaegfx.info too.
Libs:Picasso96API.library
Libs/Picasso96/ with these files:
emulation.library, fastlayers.library and rtg.library
Old 16 June 2010, 16:33   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

uaegfx.card is built-in since 1.5. (it is display card specific driver file)

UAE is probably some ancient version of uaegfx. Delete it.
Old 16 June 2010, 16:35   #19
thomas

Quote:
Also, what's the difference between the "UAE" and "uaegfx" files in DEVS:Monitors?
That's your problem. They both do the same. One was copied by the P96 installer, the other one probably was there before, either manually copied by you or already contained in an old release of CWB.

Delete UAE and keep UAEGFX, then you are fine.
Old 16 June 2010, 16:35   #20
PeterK

Quote:
The name is not important, but there should only be one monitor file for uaegfx!
As Thomas already said, delete the uae monitor and keep uaegfx.