English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 25 October 2017, 23:05   #2081
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I gave Zoolander 2 a go...

I love the first one, I did not like this one at all. No amount of Justin Bieber murder can salvage that, what a money-grab-failing turd. Just watch the trailer, it has all the "fun" bits. I shall now proceed to pretend it was never made.

3/10.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 November 2017, 15:18   #2082
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Transformers: the Last Knight. Look, it's not Blade Runner but I do not understand why this movie gets shit on so badly. Yes the motivations for the characters to do what they do are Michael Bayishly stupendous with zero thought or any writing skill behind it.

But that does keep the movie at a break-neck pace and boy does it succeed, its one gigantic over the top CGI-fest-done-right adrenaline rush from start to finish. As a (classic) Transformers geek I have to switch off my fanboyism as this movie touches upon some of the coolest aspects of the generation 1 cartoon show: Cybertron and Unicron. Both entities are watered down and I don't know why because their original forms would work splendidly in a Michael Bay movie. Oh well.

But above all else: the humor worked! Anthony Hopkins and everything he represents in this movie really succeed to add a comical note to an otherwise been-there-done-that end of the world doomsday scenario. Rather than go full on into drama, the decision was made to keep it lightly toned and it serves the movie well. And for the first time, the Decepticons got a personality of their own rather than being your average evil army grunts (nice Suicide Squad reference to go along with it). It makes all the difference even though they were a little underused.

Movie score: 6
Action movie CGI-fest score: 8 - best Transformers movie yet. But it can still be done a whole lot better, just stick to the source material already rather than creating flimsy alternatives for them :/
Old 12 November 2017, 17:17   #2083
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

War for the Planet of the Apes.

If you didn't like Dawn you're probably not going to like this one very much either as its more of the same deal. I don't know what it is about these movies but they really appeal to me. Somehow they manage with each movie to make the fully CGI creations to have more personality than normal human actors, it's such an artistic achievement on both the sides of design and writing.

Even though the movie is called "War", thankfully that does not imply it is an action war movie - it is more akin to say a Schindler's List where characters drive the movie, not explosions and gunfire. War has moments of gloom and moments of fun mostly in the form of a new character "Bad Ape" which is absolutely brilliant. Woody Harrelson proves that he can play a sympathetic asshole once again, for what little screentime he has he's good+. Not great, just good+.

Given the development of the movies, I can only imagine there is going to be one more movie in this line and it will contain no humans at all, a full apes movie that will bridge the gap to the original Planet of the Apes movie. Looking forward to it!

7.9/10
Old 13 November 2017, 22:11   #2084
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Reason I like Apes movies is Andy Serkis, one of greatest performers and actor behind so many memorable characters (Golumn in LOTR, King Kong...).

It is incredible how they make the movie and to what details they are able to transform acting.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 November 2017, 01:19   #2085
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Can't wait for Black Panther where it seems he will be returning as the big baddy. His role in the Avengers: Age of Ultron may have been (too) small, but damn he's cool.
Old 17 November 2017, 16:33   #2086
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Yes, Andy is one of people that just has charisma and memorable face. Can't wait to see more of him in that universe.

Well, never finished watching Wonder Women, probably will wait until movie is out on TV. After holding Mummy for couple of weeks and returning it without checking the movie, I got it again last night. Hard to predict if I will find a time to check it... something just seems wrong about it, something called Tom.

I heard some bad things about new Justice League movie, and good things about Thor... might visit movie theater over weekend. Can't remember last time I went to see a movie.

Also, I see Split is available on premium channels, wonder if is worth watching.
Old 17 November 2017, 22:24   #2087
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Also, I see Split is available on premium channels, wonder if is worth watching.
Definitely yes.

Speaking of a movie worth watching...

[ Show youtube player ]

Is this a joke? I hope not!
Old 20 November 2017, 05:43   #2088
OmegaMax
Sonic Boom

That looks quite good
Old 20 November 2017, 10:17   #2089
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Already seen Killing Gunther, as usual with movies there's normally two, and this is the better one.

Killing Hasslehoff, the wife and I made it through about 10 minutes before turning it off. While it's never going to win an Oscar, or be voted as the best comedy you'll ever see in your life, Killing Gunther has it's moments that make it worth the watch.
Old 20 November 2017, 23:49   #2090
DamienD
Global Moderator

...don't have time to go through the complete thread.

Watched Blade Runner 2049 a few weeks ago.

Quite enjoyed it, yes the story wasn't as exciting as the first but how can it be?

IMHO it was shot well, great special effects / lighting, the soundfx / music were atmospheric. Really immersed you into the world / future.

Thoughts?
Old 21 November 2017, 00:00   #2091
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...don't have time to go through the complete thread.

Watched Blade Runner 2049 a few weeks ago.

Quite enjoyed it, yes the story wasn't as exciting as the first but how can it be?

IMHO it was shot well, great special effects / lighting, the soundfx / music were atmospheric. Really immersed you into the world / future.

Thoughts?
Best movie evar!
Old 21 November 2017, 01:30   #2092
DamienD
Global Moderator

Nice analysis gimbal

Yup, being a massive fan of the cult original (that I must of seen when 8-10 years old, blew my mind), I too really enjoyed this for what it was... Great sequel IMHO

...but as you say, the ending isn't outstanding but leaves possibilities.
AdSense AdSense