English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 May 2017, 21:22   #21
mark_k

I downloaded your HDF and extracted the FFS partition from it, which you can get from
Code:
http://www.media!fire.com/file/wccslgayac6cw94/DH6_FFS_partition_only.7z
(remove ! from URL after pasting into your web browser)

In WinUAE, select that as an HDF (non-RDB mode!), enter your desired volume name in the Device: field (e.g. DH6:), change Sectors to 52 and have it appear on Workbench. Check or un-check the bootable and read/write boxes depending on your preference. Leave HD Controller as the default UAE.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 May 2017, 21:29   #22
idrougge

So what was the problem?
Old 20 May 2017, 21:30   #23
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5frog View Post
I saved the A2090a ROM readouts here, these are raw from the chips, could be written to two 27256 chips if wanting to add autoboot to one of those A2090 with empty sockets:
Thanks for that.

The A2090_U36_xxx230-02_31xx_2764.bin EPROM might contain code for the on-board Z80 CPU. Interestingly, the -02 part number on yours is older than the -03 shown in one of the amiga.resource.cx board pics.
Old 20 May 2017, 22:07   #24
e5frog
Green

Send a message via MSN to e5frog
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
I downloaded your HDF and extracted the FFS partition from it, ...
In WinUAE, select that as an HDF (non-RDB mode!), enter your desired volume name in the Device: field (e.g. DH6, change Sectors to 52 and have it appear on Workbench. Check or un-check the bootable and read/write boxes depending on your preference. Leave HD Controller as the default UAE.
Much appreciated for all your help and thanks for looking at the data. As you can see I managed to get it to boot from the DH2 hdf file and I could then also attach all the other hdf-files also as RDB - so emulation wise the A2000 is completely up and running again.
I copied all files from all drives with DirOpus to a PC folder as well.

@idrougge - hej, kul att se dig här, i tråden.
I guess it was PEBKAC. ;-)

Just need to decide how to get the real A2000 up again.
It's tempting going for the 256MB fix as new eproms for the A2090a but finding a (512MB should be enough for everything) small SCSI harddrive might not be that easy. I assume there's an upper limit to what can be used.

Maybe I'll take it into 21st century and use the IDE interface that plugs under the CPU (bought a IDE68K V402 long ago) and then plug a CF card with an adapter. Only had a 32GB CF card available though so I need to get a smaller one of those.

There's a matter of cost as well of course, parts cost money, would be neat if I could use what I already have at hand.
Old 21 May 2017, 00:48   #25
e5frog
Green

Still haven't get any of the real hard drives to read but now that the boot disk is working from hardfile I could perhaps try and swap a hardfile for a real drive and see what happens...
Old 21 May 2017, 03:02   #26
e5frog
Green

Sidenote, continued story:
I checked how to install the IDE68K that I bought in 2012... Needed to solder two wires as well, /INT2 and /OVR, found one pad for each so I could easily solder it. Then I saw there was an update so I soldered some pins to the JTAG and update went pretty much trouble free. Previous version was called "41 ", this one was called "4025".

Took the time to check the PSU as well, had a familiar funky smell from it, after some searching I found black goo on the bottom side, above it was a capacitor. Just a small 25V 47µF one, so I replaced that and cleaned up. Checked two resistors as well that looked burnt, they had gotten that beige glue on then, no harm done.

Then I grabbed the 4GB CF card I use in the A600 - and it booted right up - in seconds. Neat.
So now I'm just going to get a proper sized CF card and then stuff all the original data in there, maybe I'll play around some more with the A2090a later. ;-)

Thanks again guys for all help and interest.
Will of course try that real drive later (tomorrow maybe).
Old 21 May 2017, 23:03   #27
e5frog
Green

Final note:
4GB CF card prep:ed and all data copied, A2000 boots up as before (quicker), just one unit on Workbench though. With some assigns in the startup things are running the same as before but a lot less noise not having five old scsi-drives running.
Need to figure out why the Pinball Dreams/Pinball Fantasies hard drive loader doesn't work from the FastStartBar or whatever it's called (it did that before the drive change).

Left to do, for the fun of it, try real drives again in combination with bootdisk as hdf and then swap roms on the A2090a...
Old 22 May 2017, 16:58   #28
e5frog
Green

Related news:
When removing one of the five drives in the working hardfile A2000 setup it worked very adding a real drive instead of the removed one.
It's of course a lot handier making an image and use that. ;-)
AdSense AdSense