English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 18 December 2017, 10:21   #1
jizmo
Registered Abuser

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Valencia / Spain
Posts: 155
Newtek demo reel - Remastered

I started tracing back and collecting these well known Amiga pictures a while back and soon figured out these new clearer, better quality masters would make some pretty good sources for new conversions of these classic images, targeting the best possible quality on the Amiga side.

Last week I finally got started, first adjusting and fiddling around with palettes on Photoshop side and finally bringing them over to the Amiga side for rendering, and managed to find pretty satisfactory color settings for each image (Dynamic, sliced EHB etc), showing that the old miggy really goes a long way if fed the right kind of material.

Original image on the left and the remastered Amiga version on the right side:

https://s17.postimg.org/5lozl39u7/newtrem1.png

https://s17.postimg.org/4jet2jyqn/newtrem2.png

https://s17.postimg.org/sn5kquoxb/newtrem3.png

https://s17.postimg.org/noi2cbsu7/newtrem5.png

https://s17.postimg.org/70qka1g4v/newtrem4.png

The aim here - once they're all converted - is to make a remastered slideshow disk similar to the original one, bootable and viewable on any basic A500 with a fast memory expansion.

Last edited by jizmo; 18 December 2017 at 12:07.
jizmo is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 December 2017, 10:31   #2
Foebane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cardiff, UK
Posts: 1,163
These are for plain A500? The Groucho Marx picture has 256 colours, so you must mean AGA?
Foebane is offline  
Old 18 December 2017, 10:44   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 12,101
IIRC the Newtek demo reel used HAM6 or SHAM and so could use all 4096 colours on A500
alexh is offline  
Old 18 December 2017, 10:55   #4
jizmo
Registered Abuser

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Valencia / Spain
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
IIRC the Newtek demo reel used HAM6 or SHAM and so could use all 4096 colours on A500
Currently mostly using sliced palettes and dynamic hires, some images are SHAM or sliced EHB if there's too much bleeding with the HAM mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
These are for plain A500? The Groucho Marx picture has 256 colours, so you must mean AGA?
Nope, 16 colours with some nifty dithering

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twofhsb9jw...trem2.gif?dl=0

Last edited by jizmo; 18 December 2017 at 12:29.
jizmo is offline  
Old 19 December 2017, 11:00   #5
pandy71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PL
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
The aim here - once they're all converted - is to make a remastered slideshow disk similar to the original one, bootable and viewable on any basic A500 with a fast memory expansion.
Huh? Why such strange requirement ? I would understand 512k + 512k requirement but limiting this to only Fast Mem owners sounds very bizarre as native slideshow was able to run on unexpanded A500 AFAIR.
beside i very appreciate your effort, itself tried many times to find famous 'fashion' but never succeeded. If this is possible please upload somewhere (Zone?) orginal images - will try to do also similar approach but perhaps focusing on different conversion method.

Last edited by pandy71; 19 December 2017 at 11:10.
pandy71 is offline  
Old 19 December 2017, 12:04   #6
jizmo
Registered Abuser

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Valencia / Spain
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Huh? Why such strange requirement ? I would understand 512k + 512k requirement but limiting this to only Fast Mem owners sounds very bizarre
I was referring to the usual 512kb fastmem expansion on top of your usual chip memory, or machines with 1mb of chip. I vaguely remember reading somewhere the sliced/dynamic ham screenmodes need some data to be fetched from fast memory, so my guess is that your basic 512kb expansion is needed.

I'd very much appreciate this thing project becoming a joint community effort instead of just me soloing around, so I'll be posting the raw images here as well for people to toy around with and to post if you can get any better results. Same goes with putting the disk together; if you're a CLI guru who wants to put this thing together, or an ascii artist who can do a nice splash screen etc, I welcome you to join in.

Last edited by jizmo; 19 December 2017 at 12:23.
jizmo is offline  
Old 19 December 2017, 15:17   #7
pandy71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PL
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
I was referring to the usual 512kb fastmem expansion on top of your usual chip memory, or machines with 1mb of chip. I vaguely remember reading somewhere the sliced/dynamic ham screenmodes need some data to be fetched from fast memory, so my guess is that your basic 512kb expansion is needed.
Aaa, i see it is called Slow RAM as it share limitation of Chip not being Chip at the same time - then everything is fine. Accordingly to my knowledge Dynamic Hires doesn't require other RAM than Chip or Slow.
Some dynamic modes use Copper (PCHG, SHAM), some use CPU (NewTek AFAIK).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
I'd very much appreciate this thing project becoming a joint community effort instead of just me soloing around, so I'll be posting the raw images here as well for people to toy around with and to post if you can get any better results. Same goes with putting the disk together; if you're a CLI guru who wants to put this thing together, or an ascii artist who can do a nice splash screen etc, I welcome you to join in.
Sadly i must say i'm not CLI or ASCI art guru - anyway if i can help then OK - currently looking/searching way to find best HAM conversion (calculating optimal CLUT with edge detection to reduce HAM limitation) mostly for video on Amiga.
pandy71 is offline  
Old 19 December 2017, 16:34   #8
jizmo
Registered Abuser

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Valencia / Spain
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
i very appreciate your effort, itself tried many times to find famous 'fashion' but never succeeded
The other image on the Digi Paint disk is scanned from Yves Saint Laurent magazine AD called 'Papillon'.

My strong hunch is that the source of this scan is one of the women's fashion magazines of the era (Elle, Vogue, Cosmopolitan), and if someone manages to find the right issue, the famous 'Fashion' knit red scarf image will be found in that very same mag.
jizmo is offline  
Old 19 December 2017, 18:29   #9
emufan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: #DrainTheSwamp
Posts: 4,546
did you already found the complete Newtek demo reel series by user Lurking_Grue ?
unfortunately he did not post since some time, maybe he will come back with some more rare related things.
emufan is offline  
Old 23 December 2017, 23:09   #10
jizmo
Registered Abuser

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Valencia / Spain
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
did you already found the complete Newtek demo reel series by user Lurking_Grue ?
unfortunately he did not post since some time, maybe he will come back with some more rare related things.
Cheers for the tip, interesting stuff!

No solid clues for the origins of the pictures here, but there were some additional images that could help narrowing it down if multiple images on the slideshows were scanned from a single magazine.
jizmo is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newtek Demo Reel 2 rhester72 request.Demos 30 19 January 2018 19:00
NewTek Demo Reel 2 (and other rare stuff) Lurking_Grue support.Demos 2 03 June 2017 13:17
The Psygnosis Intro Reel Punisher Nostalgia & memories 18 08 October 2012 07:23
NewTek Demo Reel #1 Sydric Nostalgia & memories 4 14 September 2011 13:00
Newtek Demo Reel [1 - 3] hit request.Demos 5 15 July 2008 19:52

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.07275 seconds with 15 queries